Forum server settings changed

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 9136
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 23:03
x 849

Forum server settings changed

Post by xantia_v6 »

Due to excessive server loading caused by some badly behaved 'bots' (automated content collectors), I have changed the anti-ddos settings on the site to be much more aggressive.

This has had the desired effect of reducing the server loading from 100% to about 10% (the other 90% was coming from just 8 IP addresses located in China).

There may however be some instances of the new settings causing some real users to be locked out of the site for a period of 5 minutes. I have not seen it happen yet, but if you think you are affected by this, then please reply here and I will attempt to tune the settings.
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
Posts: 13809
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 6095

Re: Forum server settings changed

Post by mickthemaverick »

I had an outage yesterday Mike where I got the message 'The forum is offline for maintenance'. Lasted a short while but been fine since it came back on. Obviously I have no clue when but I believe it was mid afternoonish!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 25612
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 4950

Re: Forum server settings changed

Post by myglaren »

Same here but the forum continued to work anyway.

Has been slow intermittently but so have others, my hopeless broadband presumably.
User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 9136
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 23:03
x 849

Re: Forum server settings changed

Post by xantia_v6 »

The outage yesterday was due to unrelated work that required the forum to be offline while I sorted out a database issue.
User avatar
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Posts: 6983
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1391

Re: Forum server settings changed

Post by Paul-R »

No problems for me.

So far...
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 9136
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 23:03
x 849

Re: Forum server settings changed

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have been keeping an eye on the server performance, and the every 5 minutes same addresses would flood the forum with requests for a few seconds before getting blocked again.

In the last hour they seem to have got bored and gone away.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023
Posts: 1828
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 01:21
x 85

Re: Forum server settings changed

Post by Rhothgar »

Not sure if it will work for you because it will depend on the host amongst other things.

But maybe worth entering CN into the cPanel. Block the whole country. We had to do that on our business website. Blocked RU also.