Help about "Directional Headlights faulty" for DS4

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oguz_y

Help about "Directional Headlights faulty" for DS4

Post by oguz_y »

Hi Guys

First of all, I am surprised that there is such a comprehensive site about french cars.
I'm writing from Turkey, I offer my respects to all of you.

I've been driving 2012 DS4 1.6 e-Hdi MPC 112hp D-Sport for about 3 years.

I was getting this error message very very rarely when first part of a time,I bought the car.
Dipped headlamp indicator lamp flashes + sound + message directional headlamps faulty , the right headlight moves closer, the left headlight stays in the normal position.

but I ignored it. because when I turn off the engine of the vehicle and turn it on, the malfunction and warning lamps were gone.

Now it has become permanent.
I don't get it when the steering wheel is in the zero position and on the right. if i turn left with the car, I get this error message when I turn the steering wheel to the far left with the headlights on.
as I said the right headlight moves closer as if stuck, the left headlight stays in the normal position, and the directional headlights are disabled. Dipped headlamp indicator lamp flashes + sound + message directional headlamps faulty.

This faulty is starting to annoying me. than i went to the authorized citroen dealer car service. Citroen's service is interested in old year DS in our country. They could not give detailed information about the malfunction. I think they have insufficient knowledge. I asked them if there was an error code they would give me. I didn't get a positive answer.
Than i went a special citroen car service. they advised me to buy a new headlight or replace it with a second hand headlight. I think they also don't have enough information.

Last time i went to a mechanic, dealing with electronics. According to what they said, there was a fault with code B1109 in my vehicle.
" B1109 - Right-hand headlamp azimuth motor: Malfunction "
They thought that a sensor related to the height adjustment on the rear axle of the vehicle was defective. But they said that they are not sure, there will be no definitive solution.
We'll have to get a new sensor and try it out. and we can't return it because the part is electronic. I want to be sure for the costs.

there aren't enough good mechanics where I live, I do not know what to do. Has anyone encountered such an error code and problem?

there anyone can help me about this?

thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Help about "Directional Headlights faulty" for DS4

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so directional headlamps can malfunction for several reasons.

The Azimuth motor (the motor that moves the lamp horizontally) can become faulty. This sounds more likely to be your issue, as only one of your headlamps is faulty.
I cannot see that it will be the rear height sensor (on the rear axle), because if this was faulty, then BOTH the headlamps would go into backup mode, not just one of them!

Unfortunately, I think you are looking at a complete headlamp replacement as the motors are integral and are not separate. Please see the fault code description in the table, under Suspect Areas - a replacement headlamp is required if this is the issue.
Fault Code: B1109
Description of Fault: Right-hand headlamp azimuth adjustment stepper motor circuit fault (Harnesses or motors).
Headlamp internal fault. The following conditions have to be met:
- Ignition switched on
- Apart from in economy mode
Conditions for Fault to clear: Replacement of the headlamp.
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Directional headlamp not operational.
  • The left-hand dipped headlamp returns to the nominal position
  • The right-hand dipped headlamp tries to return to the nominal position
  • Compensation of the right-hand headlamp height adjustment
Warning Lights:
  • Displaying of an error message for the directional headlamps or the automatic headlamp adjustment
  • Flashing of the dipped beam indicator
  • Flashing of the headlamp height adjustment warning lamp
  • Audible warning
Symptoms:
  • Directional headlamp not operational
  • Light beam of the right-hand dipped headlamp too low/not adjusted
  • Flashing of the dipped beam indicator
  • Flashing of the headlamp height adjustment warning lamp
  • Audible warning
Suspect Areas:
  • Headlamp
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

thank you for your attention

can i ask you some question

Does low car battery level cause this error? one mechanic said that a low battery level can sometimes cause other different errors as well.
(The start stop feature hasn't been working for about 2 months. ECO lamp flashes 3 times on the dial. normally when I was waiting with the vehicle at traffic lights, the engine would stop running and it would continue when I off pressing the brake.) i will change the battery soon already.

and also

I noticed something today because I was very interested in the fault.
I learned this by chance, I was going to a place with my friends, there were 4 of us and my headlight never malfunctioned.

I do not get the warning light when the vehicle is fully loaded (4 people). Is this just a coincidence or could it be related to something?
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

car headlight image - adaptive headlight system with bi-xenon type

oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

and this is the schematic a spare parts guy gave me

I can order one or all of the numbered parts. or completely the headlight.

If I can determine what the error belongs to, they gave it for convenience.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not really, the ballast is what starts and keeps the Xenon bulb running. They are extremely high voltage, so be very careful. But the ballast is not related at all to this issue.

When you say there was no warnings when you were all in the car, was this at night and were the headlamps on? The warning will only appear when the headlamps are on.

The only thing relating to weight in the car on the rear axle is the rear height corrector. But as I said before, if either the front or height correctors are faulty or sticking, then it will stop BOTH the directional lights from turning left or right, but the maps will only work for straight ahead and dipping (up or down).

Marc
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

yes it was night and the directional headlights worked as they should.
We traveled about 15 km (turning left and right, going straight etc) , When we arrived, I got out of the vehicle for the luggage. the engine of the vehicle was always on i never stopped engine.
got in the car to continue on my way. after a little move than i get fault message after maybe only 30 second later. That's why I thought it might have something to do with weight.
its mean electro mechanic or special service car :)

maybe it's a coincidence i don't know. how the directional headlight worked without problem.

as a result we got the error code B1109 that's for sure.

what exactly is this azimuth motor?how does it look? Is there any chance I can get it as an external part or do i have to buy the headlight itself.

a new headlight is here almost $1000, second hand used headlight almost $500.

in our country average salary $450 :D im in trouble
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so although it does not make any sense to me as like I said, BOTH the lights would stop directional function if it was the height correctors, you can still try and check them out.
They look like this:
height corrector.PNG
This is the only thing that would affect weight on the axle where the sensor could become unstuck with additional passengers / luggage and then when the vehicle is lighter again, the fault would come back again.

The corrector is a lot cheaper to replace.

If this solves your problem great, but it may be a coincidence. Otherwise you can't disassemble the headlamp as far as I can see. So start with the sensor.

Marc
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

thank you very much for your attention but I'm confused now

by the way, direction function for two headlights is stopping work. not only right already.

after that fault warning. left headlight centering itself.
left side looks like normal height. right side looks lower height (lower than left. i can say) (It's not exactly in the middle, it looks like it's a little more to the right.)

and directional function not working for a both headlight.

and also bend lightling working in turns ( DS4 using fog lights for abend lightling)

I may have misinformed. sorry for that. Are your thoughts still the same after this more info :D. apologies again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1) If the height sensors (on the axles as per my picture) are faulty = headlamps work only up and down, not side to side. - This is why both won't work directionally - this is caused by the height corrector.
2) If the Headlamp Azimuth Motor inside the lamp (not replaceable) is faulty it can also affect lamp movement.
3) Headlamps are supposed to be different beam angles for the left and right lamp, and lengths, so they don't blind other drivers.
4) Forget the fog lamps, they are nothing to do with the headlamps.

So your issue is either the motor in the headlamp = new headlamp or height corrector as far as I can see.

The fault B1109 may be intermittent - so check the wiring connector to the headlamp.

Marc
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

thank you, you are like an mechanic encyclopedia

okay then first i will try that "height correctors" parts. cheaper one :)

if i still get same fault i have to find one used headlight.

I will share result and my experience.

best wishes from turkey.
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

hi @givemeabreak i found second-hand headlamp last week. it was not exactly a real test for b1109 because the headlamp was empty (there was no xenon, headlight chip etc).
we tried by plugging in the headlight socket, it gave many more errors with b1109 I didn't want to fill the empty headlight with my own original parts in case of damage. i ll try find a lamp with all parts.
and the height corrector not available in my country its comes on order takes 1 month cost 120$ (from france) i ll order it in this week ihope. so i want to ask, if the faulty part was the heigh corrector, what exactly error code would i get on the screen?

Is this a fault included in the b1109 or does it have a completely separate code?

by the way same thing continues. after that fault warning,
both headlights do not work side to side, right headlight height level takes the lowest position, left headlight height level is quite flat. also i feel like they don't move up or down either.
it's like they're stuck in these positions and don't respond. good news they still do not interfere for drive :) Although Dipped headlamp indicator lamp flashes + sound + message directional headlamps faulty
oguz_y

Post by oguz_y »

UPDATE: I replaced it with a completely new headlight(used-secondhand). I have been using it this way for about 4 months. At least I don't get headlight errors all the time like before.

But I still get the same error on long distance drives. I think the solution to this issue should not be to replace the headlight completely its might be something different.
My research is still continuing. If I can't solve it within this year, I will sell my vehicle.

I suspect something is getting hot maybe some cable or otherthing. When it heats up, it creates an error in the system. The fact that I still get the same error during long and distance driving led me to this.

Today I completely changed the battery of the vehicle. The battery had expired. I will observe what consequences this situation will have on the error. because some mechanics advised that low battery efficiency could cause errors in the operation of some parts of the vehicle.

Of course, I don't have high hopes for this, but I'll keep an eye on it.

best wishes