Suspension sinks on Sundays! C5 X7 that works hard + 206 GTi HDi (and 406 Coupe and 306 HDi). - MattBLancs

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Re: Suspension sinks on Sundays! C5 X7 that works hard + 206 GTi HDi (and 406 Coupe and 306 HDi). - MattBLancs

Post by MattBLancs »

Trivial stuff first:
Reversing lights fault: (B) putting this down to the LED bulbs I've put in there. As per (G) car is happy they work - as are my eyes watching during above test.

Parking sensors: never worked as long as I've had the car.

Suspension faults are a bit odd, cleared will see if they come back.

Flow meter, cruise control, etc - it does knock the cruise control out semi regularly. If paused (having been in use earlier on same journey) when you come to "resume" via the pause button, instead you get a flashing " - - " and cruise control will not engage for rest of the trip.

Slight clutch slip at present if, sorry, when I am being heavy handed with the throttle. Did wonder if the engine speed Vs Road speed disparity during such slip events was behind some of the faults. But does not seem to be the trigger for cruise control falling over. Has never slipped when under the direction of the cruise control (as that tends to be gentle inputs obviously) only when I'm giving it some welly. :)
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Re: Suspension sinks on Sundays! C5 X7 that works hard + 206 GTi HDi (and 406 Coupe and 306 HDi). - MattBLancs

Post by MattBLancs »

Not mentioned as yet, but will attempt to top up DPF additive tank at the weekend, have the rest of the stuff bought for the 308 SW, which "suits all 4 types of DPF".
It thinks there is "666.2" ml in there, we shall see!
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

666.2 or a split pouch, did a 207 last year it said ther was over 500 till i dropped the cover of the tank , wearing 2 pairs of gloves , nice thick treackle everywhere , split pouch sort of still half full .
Husky. :?
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

MattBLancs wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 06:20 Trivial stuff first:
Reversing lights fault: (B) putting this down to the LED bulbs I've put in there. As per (G) car is happy they work - as are my eyes watching during above test.

Parking sensors: never worked as long as I've had the car.

Suspension faults are a bit odd, cleared will see if they come back.

Flow meter, cruise control, etc - it does knock the cruise control out semi regularly. If paused (having been in use earlier on same journey) when you come to "resume" via the pause button, instead you get a flashing " - - " and cruise control will not engage for rest of the trip.

Slight clutch slip at present if, sorry, when I am being heavy handed with the throttle. Did wonder if the engine speed Vs Road speed disparity during such slip events was behind some of the faults. But does not seem to be the trigger for cruise control falling over. Has never slipped when under the direction of the cruise control (as that tends to be gentle inputs obviously) only when I'm giving it some welly. :)
LED bulbs not good , used them years ago caused weird stuff to happen
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Huskyxantia wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 09:50
MattBLancs wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 06:20 Trivial stuff first:
LED bulbs not good , used them years ago caused weird stuff to happen
They are fine if you get the right ones. I had them as sidelights in the C5 as the tungsten bulbs lasted only weeks, LEDs lasted years and were still in when I scrapped it.
Same with the Civic, reversing lights for that and they were excellent although the placement of the reversing lights was rubbish.
That set even came with load resistors, not needed.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Mine were , led from the land of junk ... china made , rubbish ..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Pretty sure that mine were Chinese too. Long gone now though.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Thanks all, mine are cheap eBay items, no load resistors provided (not measured their current draw, but don't believe they've anything internal beyond what required to make the voltage suit the LEDs themselves)

I'm particularly inclined to put LEDs in the reversing lamps given the standard filament bulbs were melting their lenses, as per here:

viewtopic.php?p=750570#p750570

I did have cheap T10 type LEDs in front side lights but they were poor quality and did not last long. Much to my surprise as had them on another car on the past and lasted well.

Car run well today, no error messages. Must get to the bottom of the coolant losses, needs a top up frequently. Which obviously isn't a long term solution. Need to get it up in the air, nothing obvious from above that I can see
Last edited by MattBLancs on 04 Apr 2024, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Coolant losses , i did read somewhere airlocks in the thermostat housing then this moves causing hot spots and coolant evaporation cant remember where i read this , but other places egr cooler can leak slowly , oil filter housing & passenger side footwell if wet is the heater matrix hoses there alloy with o rings and werid clamps these are know to have o ring failure, was the first repair i did to my 308cc.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Huskyxantia wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 09:49 666.2 or a split pouch, did a 207 last year it said ther was over 500 till i dropped the cover of the tank , wearing 2 pairs of gloves , nice thick treackle everywhere , split pouch sort of still half full .
If the parts Asia site is correct, then thankfully it's a proper tank rather than a silly, vulnerable pouch.
From parts Asia
From parts Asia
Link, contender for longest URL I've ever seen!?
Spoiler: show
https://catalogs.ssg.asia/citroen/?lang ... BwbGllcj09

Edit, seems the forum automatically shortened it, here it is without the first bit, just for entertainment purposes!

Catalogs. ssg. asia/ citroen/?lang=en# c3Q9PTgwfHxzdHM9PXsiMTAiOiJNb2RlbCIsIjIwIjoiQzUgKHg3KSIsIjQwIjoiQm9keTogNSBET09SIEVTVEFURSBcLyBFbmdpbmU6IDIuMiBIRGkgcGFydGljbGUgZW1pc3Npb24gZmlsdGVyIDE3NSIsIjUwIjoibWVjaGFuaWNhbCIsIjcwIjoiYWlyIGFuZCBmdWVsIHN1cHBseSIsIjgwIjoiRlVFTCBUQU5LIEZVRUwgR0FVR0UifXx8Y29kZT09MUNYN3x8Ym9keT09QjBEQzV8fGVuZ2luZT09QjBGSjB8fGNhdF9pZD09RkNUMDAwMXx8c3ViR3JwX2lkPT1GQ1QwMDEwfHxyZWZkb2NzPT0wNjEwMDYxNzUwMzBBfHxyZWZkb2M9PTA2MTAwNjE3NTAzMEF8fHN1YkdycE5hbWU9PUZVRUwgVEFOSyBGVUVMIEdBVUdFfHxzdXBwbGllcj09
Part number ( 1500 NK ) brings up the tank on eBay,

Description 3/10 for accuracy here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196273378101?
:rofl2:
Last edited by MattBLancs on 03 Apr 2024, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

:shock:
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Huskyxantia wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 20:38 Coolant losses , i did read somewhere airlocks in the thermostat housing then this moves causing hot spots and coolant evaporation cant remember where i read this , but other places egr cooler can leak slowly , oil filter housing & passenger side footwell if wet is the heater matrix hoses there alloy with o rings and werid clamps these are know to have o ring failure, was the first repair i did to my 308cc.
All good thoughts and suggestions thanks:

Heater matrix: hoping not. Have no signs of dampness inside, no condensation on windows, odd smells etc.

EGR cooler is well buried i think, down back of the engine, hoping it's not that.

Oil filter housing - interesting, will look there. (Rectangular heat exchanger thing bolted to the oil filter housing = molded seals between these two) that's front of block, so would be surprised if it's that but not visible.

To be honest, I'm generally surprised I have not been able to spot the source of the leak yet, it's loosing it at a fair rate when running (no puddles when parked up)
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

If egr cooler then windscreen scuttle panel needs removing it opens things up a tad, if its from the head gasket you would see the white fog cloud when driving off. If the oils clean then its not the head or no steam fog from exhaust then again head gasket should be ok. Mind you if your getting the risk of clogging dpf stuff that could be water/coolant. My picasso is due to be sorted this weekend , 2 friends are pulling the engine & gear box out in one lump , got a leaky head gasket ,1.6hdi plus a whistling thrust bearing. Hope to be all sorted by Sunday evening.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Brief update, some pictures and add the words on later
Wonky track rod end detached from hub.
Wonky track rod end detached from hub.
Old and new. Flats (inline with my thumb) suit a 19mm spanner which is handy
Old and new. Flats (inline with my thumb) suit a 19mm spanner which is handy
Track rod, liberal copper grease
Track rod, liberal copper grease
Driver's (right) side completed
Driver's (right) side completed
A left hand side changed too (seemed ok for play)
A left hand side changed too (seemed ok for play)
Track rod end lock nut: 19mm
Track rod end itself has 19mm flats to allow you to grip it (great idea!)
Inner track rod has 13mm hex beyond the threads.

Track rod end cone nut (hub end) is M10 fine thread Nyloc. Original (with the weird plastic washer thing) is 16mm, replacement is 17mm
Last edited by MattBLancs on 11 Apr 2024, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Couple of arch liner fastening positions devoid of clips
Couple of arch liner fastening positions devoid of clips
Not happy with the look of this bush:
Another angle of view
Another angle of view
Front Wishbone, rear bush, front left
Front Wishbone, rear bush, front left
Just for interest, I took the (intact and good condition) rubber boots off the old track rod ends. This is what counted for grease in the failed joint!
Mud? Or at least Crud!
Mud? Or at least Crud!