PP 1.6 HDI 2012 will not start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Alex van2012

PP 1.6 HDI 2012 will not start

Post by Alex van2012 »

Hi everyone, I’ve just joined the forum and this is my first post hoping someone can help me to find out why my Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI van (2012 reg, 99k miles) doesn’t start. I’ve only had this van for 5 months and last week while I was driving to local supermarket it stalled and wouldn’t start. Every time you turn the ignition you can hear and see the drive belt going round or it is cranking but the van doesn’t start. I’ve taken top part of the timing belt cover off and noticed the belt is not going round but still in tension and can’t see being broken however I can’t see the entire belt. Is it correct to assume the belt is broken or damaged somewhere that I can’t see and consequently for definite beyond doubt has damaged the engine? (valves and pistons damaged?) I can definitely see part of two cogs where the camshaft belt is going over one of them, but neither of these two cogs rotating while drive belt going round when attempting to start. Just want to know if the engine is damaged for sure.
Much appreciate your assistance.
Many Thanks
Alex
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: PP 1.6 HDI 2012 will not start

Post by RichardW »

Welcome, sorry it's not in better circumstances!

Yes, most likely the belt has stripped teeth off at the crank pulley. There's a better than evens chance that it has just broken the rockers and shifted the lobes on the cam. If you're unlucky it might have dropped a valve, but even this can sometimes be recovered without removing the head.
Richard W
Alex van2012

Post by Alex van2012 »

Thanks Richard for your prompt reply, would you say I’ll have to scrap the van or could it be repaired at reasonably cost?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It will be north of a grand at a garage - £4-500 in parts, and 6-8 hours labour - best case if no valve issues. All depends on whether you can find another one, and the cost of replacing - and putting in a new cambelt!!
Richard W
Alex van2012

Post by Alex van2012 »

Thanks Richard much appreciated your useful comments and information pal. 👍🏼
Alex van2012

Post by Alex van2012 »

Just to finalise this thread, I sold the van as scrap yesterday! but learned an expensive lesson, when buying a van / car with over 80k miles on the clock make sure the first thing you do is changing the cam belt! If it hasn’t already been done.