C4 killing batteries

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marshy

Re: C4 killing batteries

Post by Marshy »

I will give that a try thankyou.
civvie
(Donor 2020)

Post by civvie »

Marshy wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 15:31 The battery is a 100EFB 12v 65ah 650EN.
That's all I can see on the battery.
As far as I know any manufacture worth its salt would have their name on the battery, if as you say the above is all that's on the battery it would make me suspicious. Even their web site is not helpful.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

civvie wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 10:49
Marshy wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 15:31 The battery is a 100EFB 12v 65ah 650EN.
That's all I can see on the battery.
As far as I know any manufacture worth its salt would have their name on the battery, if as you say the above is all that's on the battery it would make me suspicious. Even their web site is not helpful.
Not as bad a s the ones that dont even have a rating on them, just says 'heavy duty' :-D
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

The old battery is now on charge . After 10 mins the charger has come up with "fail"...I have fitted a new battery which is more powerful than the previous battery. I will do the tests as mentioned and get back to you..I did notice quite a big spark on connecting the +12v
It seems as if something wants to drain the battery straight from the off.. Unless that's normal??

Thankyou for your help.
Phil
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

I've also just found the manufacturer "numax"
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

The old battery is now on charge . After 10 mins the charger has come up with "fail"...I have fitted a new battery which is more powerful than the previous battery. I will do the tests as mentioned and get back to you..I did notice quite a big spark on connecting the +12v
It seems as if something wants to drain the battery straight from the off.. Unless that's normal?? Also I should have mentioned before. Display in car says electrical fault

Thankyou for your help
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Marshy wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 17:52Also I should have mentioned before. Display in car says electrical fault
Metihinks this indicates a proper diagnostic check using Daigbox would be valuable. It may flag up the detail of what's raising the 'Electrical Fault' error on the display.

It may also save a lot of guesswork...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

Hi.
Ok . New battery.
When installed was 12.6v... when engine runs iits at 14.4v.....i checked several times on the first day and voltage stayed at 12.6v,.. I went to the car this morning and the voltage was 11.6v. So looks like something is draining the battery..
I ran it for 15mins and the voltage went back to 12.6v..
I'm guessing there is a parasitic drain somewhere.. But I'm still not sure why it's not just flattening batteries but killing them so the won't charge anymore..I'm thinking the next step may be to remove fuses and test amperage..
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

If you leave it longer it will drain more and more. If you're using a new charger (smart charger) they won't recharge dead batteries. You need to connect a not dead battery in parallel to it and then connect to the charger to the not dead battery. I've had batteries that won't accept a charge initially but will after several hours if left connected.
Regarding the drain. Once the car has gone to sleep start pulling fuses 1 by 1 and listen for relays clicking. Only do 1 fuse at a time then replace it and move to the next one. If you hear a relay click or get a slight spark when replacing it note down what that fuse controls.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
civvie
(Donor 2020)

Post by civvie »

Marshy wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 17:25 I've also just found the manufacturer "numax"
When I had access to the Makro discount store didn;t there used to be stuff from the Numax brand on sale, drills sanders and various electrical tools, they were known to be on the budget side of reliability.

Re the big spark on connecting the positive terminal, that is something I would explore.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

I've removed all fuses one by one in the engine bay section but not under the dash as they are quite hard to get too,.none of the fuses click a relay or even the slightest of sparks..I'm going to take it to a garage next week and get them to put there diagnostic toy on it. Appreciate all your comments thankyou
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

May be hard to get to, but have a go. Another thing. We are all presuming that the car is standard and nothing new has been fitted lately? Towball, camera, aftermarket stereo etc?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

I think I'd be looking at the alternator being duff and effectively having a short through it.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

Hi. Yes the car is standard. Ile try again with the inside fuses, I just didn't want to pull things and make something worse. I've been told there are more fuses in the engine bay but I'm not sure where they are.
Thankyou for your help.
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

Probably unrelated but the car was off the road for about 2 weeks, when I fitted a new battery the heater blower started playing up.. First only working at low speed then vibration then it totally died. That's another thing to fix as I can't find the relay or fuse for that either.
These things are sent to try us.