1997 XANTIA: HOW DO I REMOVE LHM TANK TOP?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
citroenroen
Donor 2024

1997 XANTIA: HOW DO I REMOVE LHM TANK TOP?

Unread post by citroenroen »

I have tried to remove the LHM Reservoir TANK TOP without success.
How do I do this?
The LHM hoses to the TOP of the Reservoir TANK are too short to allow me to pull up the top and to move the Reservoir TOP to the side in order to clean the LHM tank filter.
Do I have to disconnect ALL (or some of) the hoses to the LHM tank TOP in order to remove the tank top to do this?

My SECOND question is that there is always some green wetness around the top of the LHM Reservoir tank and what causes this ? (all the return lines and Pump Suction line to the tank top are tight)

Thanks is advance for your assistance with this.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: 1997 XANTIA: HOW DO I REMOVE LHM TANK TOP?

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

The wetness on the top of the tank afflicts most Xantia now, it is a design defect. The spring clip that holds the top on the tank applies uneven pressure and eventually the tank bends so that the sealing face has a bend in it which is greater than the rubber gasket can seal.

A Turkish company Dr Xantia makes a kit which contains a support that goes inside the tank to return it to the original shape https://drxantia.com/index.php/en/produ ... leg-detail. They have been out of stock for a while, but maybe another batch arriving.

To remove the top of the tank you usually need to unclip some of the return hoses, although sometimes you can create enough slack to get it off on an angle.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: 1997 XANTIA: HOW DO I REMOVE LHM TANK TOP?

Unread post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 22:15
To remove the top of the tank you usually need to unclip some of the return hoses, although sometimes you can create enough slack to get it off on an angle.

I'd remove all the hoses as you really don't want to stress them too much these days. Age will have made them quite fragile and brittle so handle them with care.

Keep and reuse the original hose clips. Jubilee clips are a terrible substitute and I shudder when I see the excellent original clips replaced by them. If necessary, buy the correct tool for them.

Petrol is the best stuff to clean the LHM filters...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...