MyWay loses satellites every time car is shutdown.

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Bigzed

MyWay loses satellites every time car is shutdown.

Post by Bigzed »

Hi,
Looking for some advice oh how to resolve this issue.

The issue first appeared approx. 3 weeks ago, prior to this I had no issues with the sat nav system. The sat nav lost its location, and would not reset to the current vehicle position when driving on journeys (including trips of over 15 mins). The firmware was the stock factory setup, with the 2020 map SD card. The system could not find any satellites on any journeys.
I did a factory reset of the system and this made no difference.

I updated the firmware to what I believe is the latest version. The system now takes over 15 minutes of driving to find the satellites ( 6 or more), where the sat nav works as it should. The issue I am experiencing now is that when I shut down the car after the journey, and start the car again the system loses the gps satellites and has to reconfigure itself each time.

I have purchased an aftermarket replacement GPS antenna, to try to see if I this would help finding satellites. however as the firmware update is locating satellites I have not yet fitted this.

Current Configuration.
Firmware rneg_D_R50b_R50.03
Maps version 2020

Has anyone else experinced this issue, and how were you able to overcome this?
Is this the latest and correct firmware for my vehicle and sat nav system?

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: MyWay loses satellites every time car is shutdown.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is the latest and last ever firmware produced for this system.

It can take up to 15 minutes for geolocation to lock onto satellites - but be aware the vehicle must be moving to do so. A stationary vehicle will not work well as it can't 'triangulate'.

If it's working on a journey ignore it, but if you are on a journey and the vehicle location is invalid or you have limited satellites visible, then it can be one of the following: GPS Aerial (water ingress can affect electrical signal), aerial or the internal tuner of the Head Unit.

To determine GPS aerial as the cause, get a cheap Chinese GPS aerial for ab out £10 that already come with a compatible connector and plug this in place of the standard aerial at the back of the head unit. Go for a drive of at least 15 minutes and see if the issue is resolved and check the number of visible satellites (again car must be in motion). If all is well it's your car aerial, if no difference, the head unit is faulty.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bigzed

Post by Bigzed »

Hi Marc,
Thanks for confirming the firmware info.

The loss of the lock onto geolocation happens when the ignition is turned off ( after a journey of over 15 mins). On restarting the vehicle the system looks for the satellites again as non are visible.
Do you think this is related to the head unit, or could it be the antenna. I have a cheap aftermaket antenna with the correct plug, but I have not installed this yet, as the original antenna is seeing over 6 satellites when on a journey of over 15 mins.

Thanks for your initial reply.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so official guidance is to reset the system which will rule out a software issue as this removes historical navigation data, profiles and personal settings which you'll have to set up again later.

To see number of satellites detected:
  • Press and hold the button "SETUP"
  • Select GPS coverage
You should see a screen similar to the following:
gps.PNG
Reset the audio-navigation to zero again then drive for 3 mile drive to highlight a failure at the aerial base or aerial cable end. If the vehicle position is still incorrect after the test then it will be hardware failure and repair is to replace the Head Unit.

Of course if it improves or resolves the issue then it'll be the cable connections or the aerial base.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc