Gates parts are now made in China!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ady2021

Gates parts are now made in China!

Post by Ady2021 »

If you are like me and anything you have ever bought that has been 'made in China' has been rubbish then be careful with car parts. I recently bought a genuine Gates Thermostat from a reputable source and was disappointed to find a label saying 'Made in China' on the box.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Gates parts are now made in China!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Although I tend to agree with most of the 'tat' made in China, there are exceptions - take Apple for example that (well until recently) made iPhones and most of their other products in China. More worryingly is the amount of UK companies that China owns or has a stake in.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

They've really upped their game in recent years although there are still junk companies in general the named stuff is very good.
Have a look at this one from Mercedes and Geely in China.
https://uk.smart.com/en/hashtag-one/?ca ... 6773428860

Review here: Presenter's a bit of a pain though.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

There was a question asked on a another forum recently; "How much would be left if you removed everything made in America from your home"
The answer for me is everything.
I had a look and those few things that have come from America and branded as American were made in China or Japan.

Even the Swedish stereo (from the seventies). The turntable is Japanese (Yamaha) and the amp is British (Cambridge Audio), only the speakers are Swedish.
Another stereo, the CD player is unashamedly Chinese (Shanling) the amp Norwegian (Electrocompaniet, now made in Poland IIRC) and the speakers Danish.
Hardly anything made in the UK.
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

There's crap made in every country in the world, there's also very good stuff. 'Jap Crap' was a term to describe Datsuns and the like in the 70's. The quality is down to the process not the country. I own 5 Jap bikes, 4 Kwaks and a little Yam, all old and better built than the British equivalent of the time. I also have a Saab 900 and a Truimph Dolly engined Riley. Triumph made the engine for Saab, slightly enlarged for greater water jacket, but the same engine. My 1973 Landy with a Sherpa engine is solid. Don't prejudge because of the maker's country of origin
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

True enough take British Leyland :rofl2:

But in reality it's so sad the we make very little in this country anymore and I think we should be reversing that wherever possible.

I know personally speaking, I always try and buy British made products, but as things are currently that's just not possible. Before I buy most white goods / appliances and the like I always read into the specs, the reviews the quality, reliability and country of origin.

We've bought LG washer driers for the last 20 years as a) they are made in Korea and other countries like Australia and Poland, America and b) They do last for ages, our last one served us for 16 years.

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 11:37 We've bought LG washer driers for the last 20 years as a) they are made in Korea and other countries like Australia and Poland, America and b) They do last for ages, our last one served us for 16 years.
Mine lasted fourteen months :(

But that reminds me, our microwaves have both been LG (rebranded, made in the factory less than a mile away).
The first lasted thirteen years, the second still going 27 years on.

And of course the car. Japanese but made in the UK.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When my daughter went off to travel about 35 years ago she gave me her microwave cooker, it's a Sharp Carousel, made in Japan, only 500 watts but still works for me.................reminds me it's lunchtime. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes we had a Carlos Fandango multi-function, auto cook, Sharp Microwave 30 years ago and it was brilliant.

Marc