Xsara Picasso 2002 - Torsion Bar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroen_Cluless
New User

Xsara Picasso 2002 - Torsion Bar

Post by Citroen_Cluless »

Good afternoon

My apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I have a 2002 picasso that is lower on one side at the rear of the vehicle and a friend of mine says its probably a broken torsion bar. Does anyone know if they are costly to replace? Or could I try and do it myself?

Another friend of mine said I could get a "kit" that is a temporary repair until I can get it fixed which supports the broken bar. To be honest I know very little about cars but in this cost if living crisis I am loathe to buy a new car.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks for reading
wheeler

Re: Xsara Picasso 2002 - Torsion Bar

Post by wheeler »

If the a torsion bar is broken you would see it just by looking at it. It would be very unusual for a torsion bar to break, not unless your always driving it around fully laden & driving at full speed over speed humps all the time. Sure its not a collapsed rear arm bearing?
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Citroen_Cluless wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 15:47
Another friend of mine said I could get a "kit" that is a temporary repair until I can get it fixed which supports the broken bar. To be honest I know very little about cars but in this cost if living crisis I am loathe to buy a new car.
Never heard of a temporary repair kit for a torsion bar and to be honest can't understand how it would work really!

Anyway, to you other question - have done axle replacement on a 206 which also has similar torsion bar setup. Was changed due to failing trailing arm bearings. Full axle unbolted from the car, brakes and stub axles unbolted from the trailing arms too. Dampers off. On a 206 the brake pipe routing and flexible sections are just right to allow calipers to remain connected to the pipes and tied up to the bodywork until new axle is in place. (I think same job in 306 needs brake pipes disconnected as in the way??)

Places such as IM Axles and even EuroCarParts have completed axles available sold on an exchange basis.
Or try your luck on a cheap second hand axle and hope doesn't fail in the same way!

Was about £300 for the axle for the 206 I think. Obviously other things might be "worth changing whilst you are there" rear brake disks, hoses, exhaust had to come off and if it's very crusty?? Etc.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Think the torsion bars "can just break" - I didn't think it likely either, but Hub Nut had it go on his Berlingo and I read up a bit about it as intrigued by the failure. Seems like coil springs, they can just give up one day seemingly!
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Like any other spring a torsion bar could just break however in over 20 years working in the motor trade i have never seen it actually happen.

I was wondering if the torsion bar repair kit contained a magic wand?
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Perhaps the torsion bar repair kit contains another torsion bar ? :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(