1991 Peugeot 205 Overheating problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Laine1998
My Cars:

1991 Peugeot 205 Overheating problems

Post by Laine1998 »

My Peugeot is having problems with its Temp (dummy)gauges. It has about 141,xxx km on it. Before, anything over 140 km/hr the red STOP light would flash, and the temp light would come on, turn on the heater and slow down, it would turn off.
Now the problem is happening more and more recent. Now anything above 130 km is making the temp and Stop light come on, even with the heater full blast.
I plan on getting the coolant flushed out, I have had the car about 4 months now, and I do not know what was done to it before (can't read french or german very well.) My husband was thinking of removing the thermostat, but we do not know if there are any consequences to doing that. Could it be the thermostat is sticking, or there is a kinked tube somewhere?? another thought he had was hooking an on/off switch to the fan, and just having it on all the time.
I would appreciate any help or thoughts on this matter, thank you. If you would like to email me, my address is Laine1998@hotmail.com
Laine1998
My Cars:

Post by Laine1998 »

I just went through the 14 pages of discussions, and I have found some ideas on where my husband can start to look.
Also, My heater only works in the defrost position. I turn it any other way, and it does not leave the defrost area. Is that very hard to fix?
Also, I've noticed that many of you are from the UK area. Since the steeing wheel is on the oppsite side for us Americans and the Germans, will that pose a problem in the solutions that other people have offered on the overheating problem? Sorry if the questions seem silly... [:I]
Thanks again
Laine
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You don't say what engine you have got but these symptoms are characteristic of a diesel with a less than efficient cooling system.
Change the thermostat for a new one, make sure you get a new seal with it.
Flush the cooling system out especialy the radiator and don't forget the outer of the radiator between the fins.
Check the seal on the coolant filler cap is capable of holding the specified pressure, usualy about 13psi.
Check the condition of the bottom hose, on similar engines these have been known to partialy collaps from the suction of the pump when the engine is being worked hard.
Bridge the contacts in the radiator cooling fan thermo switch (screwed into rad) connector to test operation of the fan(s), these were a problem on early 205 diesel's, I had one for nearly 200,000 miles and never heard the fans run once except when forced by myself, I did occasionaly get the temp light glow very dimmly though.
If the fans run when bridged, take the switch out and put it in a pan on the stove with a thermometer and see where its switching points are, if there are two fans the switch will be of the two stage type.
Dave