fly squash

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

fly squash

Post by Robin »

Found this out by accident. Needed to do some cleaning up on the front of the old XM but did not want get the old bucket and hose out. Just lazy[:I]
Found some old Tesco window cleaner in the garage and sprayed that on the front all over the fly squash, some were several weeks, sorry yes weeks old and were baked on. Went in for a pee, sound of the cleaner just like running water and at my age too.... and came out find the fly squash just wiped away. Wonderful [:D][:D][:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I find W5 glass cleaner from Lidl quite good for keeping windscreens clean, anything with some isopropyl alcohol in it will shift flies and road film.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

caution when using fly squash/spray on windshield, it could have a burning effect like hair spray as the windshield is laminated this stuff burns into it ( used on cars like the nasty traffic wardens /police/clampers/cameras ) and anything to do with cash machines mainly cameras it wipes them out.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Green</i>

caution when using fly squash/spray on windshield, it could have a burning effect like hair spray as the windshield is laminated this stuff burns into it ( used on cars like the nasty traffic wardens /police/clampers/cameras ) and anything to do with cash machines mainly cameras it wipes them out.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is it just me or does that make no sense?
The laminated plastic in a windscreen is covered with glass which is fairly inert and chemical resistant so you can clean it with pretty much anything that isn't abrasive.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

oh allright then ( it melts windscreens ) I wish people would not keep quoting in their reply other people can read you know[:D].
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Green</i>

( it melts windscreens )
Very little will melt a windscreen. Glass is one of the most inert and chemical resistant materials on the planet. It's similar to ceramic. If fly squash goop damaged glass like that can you imagine what it would do to human skin??!!??
I'd say your windscreen was fairly safe. Just don't go using ajax scourer on it!
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

just a warning mate, you cant be too careful putting that sort of stuff on the windshield.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

I use an old wet news paper.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Lol forget the windscreen being tuff and resistant (though not to very hot things like grinding spray! Guess how i found that out!), the toughest part or a BX is the body coloured bumpers. Not the painted ones mind the ones that are the car colour all the way through! On the 19RD i tried EVERYTHING to get them clean! You name it i used it, bleach, polish, tcut, petrol, gunk the point where i almost gave up was when i used a special acid formulated to melt aluminium and used by plumbers to get cans out of toilets! Not a mark was lifted!
Then i went to the kitchen cupboard to do a Georges Marvelous Medicine, mother was amused and the first thing i picked up was a spray gun of 'Dr Beechams Oven Cleaner'. My mum swore at it while explaining how it was the world worst oven cleaner and she should have thrown it out! Yes you guessed it, after a year and a half of trying to get the bumpers clean, the grime came straight off!
Amazing
you still wont 'melt' toughened glass with alchohol though!
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you still wont 'melt' toughened glass with alchohol though!
True, though some alkalis can damage glass. I've seen a case where foam cleanser left on a CRT screen for an hour or so left an indelible imprint where the foam had dried. It wan't just a deposit either, the glass was damaged.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Welding, spatter. That ruins windscreens. Dont ask me how i now, but yes it cost me one new screen. You live and learn.
watsoft
My Cars:

Post by watsoft »

I've used an old pan scrubber, the plastic mesh ones that are folded back on themselves (same as fish lovers pile into their pond filters) without any scratching of glass, paintwork or plastics. One of those pop-pom style body scrubs that the missus uses to apply her soap in the shower is another alternative.

A light spray of WD40 on the paintwork (not the screen stupid) helps shift most grime including splashes of tar...before giving the car a proper wash.

These days I leave the flies on the paintwork, they help cover the stone-chips!