Xantia Idle problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Morten
My Cars:

Xantia Idle problems

Post by Morten »

I have a '94 2.0 8V aut. which suddenly drops the idle to very low or stops. It appears when the engine is at normal operating temperatur. When I restart the engine, the idle speed rises very slowly to about 500 on the rev counter. This can happen many times a day, then it works normal for several days. I have not been able to se any pattern in this behaviour. Any ideas?
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

IAC valve, to test remove multi plug there are 4 pins A-D read 53 ohms and B-C 53 ohms, if that's OK clean the throttle body out and the IAC plunger " a good spray with wd40 " also look for vacuum pipe off or split.
Morten
My Cars:

Post by Morten »

Richard,
IAC Valve ? I need to have a look in the Haynes manual to see what that is
[:I]
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

Idle air control valve, this keeps the idle stable
106XS1998

Post by 106XS1998 »

Have you looked at the temp sensor? or the MAP sensor if the Xantia has one?
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

the TEMP sensor and the MAP sensor leaves a fault code and the engine warning light will come on, where as the idle control valve sticking wont but all the items are valued in the problem.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My Dad had similar trouble with his 1.8 when it was hot in 2003. After a couple of weeks it just died completely. Needed a new crank shaft position sensor.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

the symptoms of the crank sensor would cut the engine out rather than give erratic idle but it is worth mentioning it because it is a common problem to all cars these days, the wires to the crank sensor get brittle after a few years due to heat then they short out and in most cases the engine just dies.
Morten
My Cars:

Post by Morten »

Will start to check out the IAC. Is it worth the money to have the car checked for fault codes at a Citroen garage?
Morten
106XS1998

Post by 106XS1998 »

citroen will charge you about £40 for a fault code check, you could get your own fault checker for less! has your car got a map sensor?
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

now this my area 16 pin is the norm alda " computer connect point" ground pin 6 to earth and switch the ignition on the mil "engine warning light" will flash the codes, one long = ten and short busts= seconds and dont take it to a dealer, then take is fo a 20 mile run to restet the internal computer (its called a cysle)
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

ill talk you through it later because i'm not feeling well at the moment due to the heat.