How to edit files at NG4 hard drive ?

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Infocus_55

How to edit files at NG4 hard drive ?

Post by Infocus_55 »

Please can you let me know how to transfer and edit files to NG4 hard drive ? Is it can be done with USB flash drive or SD card ?
Thank you .
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: How to edit files at NG4 hard drive ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What files are you referring to?

System Firmware Software? This is updated via USB with the correct firmware files extracted to the USB.
Copy CDs to the Jukebox on the Hard Drive? Use the options to do this within the Jukebox menu.
Updating Maps? Updated via map files extracted to USB.

There are no other files you can edit or the system won't operate.

Explaining a little on what you trying to achieve may help with more relevant answers.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

Ok , let me explain a little, I already updated the firmware through a USB flash memory, by the way the device doesn't accept any flash memory except a flash memory less than 8 gigabyte.
Anyways, the files I meant to transfer are audio and movies files, is that applicable from SD card or the usb located beside the cup holder?
I understood that I can transfer files from the DVD player to the Jukebox.
Thank you for the useful information, I didn't use the DVD player before.
One last important thing if you can help, the main function for the NG4 is the navigation map, but I couldn't find an update for the Egypt map even on the official device site.
Thank you in advance!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1) The device will accept a USB key larger than 8Gb if you have one. I used a larger size than that on mine all the time.
2) You can't transfer files via USB for music purposes.
3) You can't play movie files unless direct from the DVD drive.
4) If you wish, and this was my preferred method, I copied MP3 audio files onto as SD Card and played my music from there using the centre SD card slot, to save the hard drive. It doesn't matter then if you have to replace a cheap SD card which has no moving parts.
5) As for maps, there are no official maps produced after version 2016-2 by PSA. However if you search on the internet you can find some places where people have modified the BMW maps (that are still commissioned by BMW for 'HERE' maps to produce) for use in the NG4 Navidrive 3D.

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

Thank you my dear for your help.you explained and answered all my questions....like you, I use SD card slot for mp3 music, perhaps I meant the SD card capacity should be less than 8 gigabyte, does it?
So , I understood that USB can be used only for software files or charging, if you wish I put ( USB Bluetooth dongle) on it to play music from my mobile, beside making calls through the built-in Bluetooth function.
Finally, I ll search for the maps as your advice .
Thank you again ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ‘
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, the SD card I used was 32 Gb! So plenty of room.
Not sure why you would need your phone as Bluetooth is already built into the NG4 (for phone calls only, no bluetooth audio streaming), as well as a separate internal telephone that uses a SIM card in the glovebox. So you have 2 choices.

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

The usb Bluetooth dongle for audio streaming coz - as u said - the built-in one for calls only .
I indeed discovered the internal SIM card option right now ๐Ÿ˜‚ still didn't look for its place at glovebox as you gave me a new useful information ๐Ÿ˜‚
Thanks bro ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‘
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem, best of luck in whatever you are planning to do.

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

Thanks a lot, do you have a picture for where the SIM card slot is located on glovebox?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

On a right hand drive it is fitted in the left die (passenger) glovebox, where there are audio and video input RCA connectors. You are looking for a small black bob like this:
SIM.PNG
I can't be sure where they have located it on a Left Hand Drive. In know the BSI and Fusebox is still there on the left side, but not sure whether they had room to include or whether they have also kept in in the passenger glovebox on the right side for LHD vehicles.

If you post your VIN (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff), I can see if your vehicle has the RCA slots.

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I'm totally confused as to why you are referring to an NG4 Navidrive as according to your VIN you have an RD45!

If this is the case you can ignore everything I've said above as you don't have a telematics system fitted at all. Have you retrofitted an NG4?

This is an NG4 which was not fitted to your vehicle when it left the factory.
NG4 Pic.PNG

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

I,am the second owner, I bought my X7 one year ago with this NG4 navigation system ( same as the pic ) so , now , is there SIM card or not? By the way, on telephone menu I found ( internal phone) is activated and the SIM icon appears in the screen
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

Notice: the original RD45 doesn't exist, but I can find an used one easily if it will better than ng4
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So I can't help you as this vehicle has obviously had the NG4 above retro-fitted and was not standard.

Therefore there will be a loss of functionality for sure because a lot of these units also rely on a 'services module' for emergency calling and assistance. As you had the RD45 fitted at factory you don't have the SIM socket which is part of the Services Module, which is why you can't find it and won't be able to retro fit it. Sorry.

RD45 was a slight upgrade from the basic RD4 and allowed for integrated bluetooth. The NG4 was a premium system and to buy it new from Citroen today, it will cost over ยฃ3800.00 UK, so not a cheap option.

Marc