Ford Rubbish!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.
Doo
(Donor 2022)

Ford Rubbish!

Unread post by Doo »

So Ford get a perfectly decent PSA 1.6hdi DV6 engine & chuck it in a C max.

Fair enough, but WHY remove the diesel bleeder bulb :evil:

And WHY mess up the Status Quo with Ford cruddy plastics and metal pipes that get in the way of EVERYTHING all the way to the intercooler? Even changing the oil filter is a drag....

Anyway, I report this because I experienced my 1st diesel runaway :shock: :shock:

I had stripped the engine well enough to install a new timing belt & water pump kit & full service inc new coolant.

It mattered not a jot that I filled the new filter and cracked the injectors, it would NOT bleed :argue: . I even had a leisure battery hooked up to give more cranking power...

I decided I would have to resort to the same stuff I used to start wife's DV6 after it's major rebuild. So, brake cleaner was sprayed into the (I believe) MAP Sensor) port and she fired a good few times, but still wouldn't run long enough to build up pressure....

until it did :help2:

It started, crack craack craaack, rrrRRRrrrr____rrRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :wtf:

It took about 3 seconds to decide what to do. There were no huge plumes of thick grey smoke, so she was clearly now running on whatever oil the brake fluid has watered down in the intercooler (stupidly, I forgot I had cleaned my wifes cooler to gleaming, so it was fine) and it was running on basic home made diesel.

So I put both hands around the trunking from the air filter to the turbo and squeezed. A second went by before it slowed by a few hundred RPM, then slower and slower and slower, but it was still grunting at about 800RPM or so and my hands were getting painful as this was going on 2 minutes..... Thankfully she stopped! :notworthy:

It took me a few minutes of deep breaths to get my heart rate back to an acceptable 200BPM :-D Then I mulled over what had just happened.

Suffice to say, I believe this may have happened sooner or later because the engine is a mess. Coated in more oil than the Amaco Cadiz. The previous owner clearly didn't think to change the crank case breather filter and the oil has blown out of every orifice.

So later, I'll be pricing gaskets and engine cleaner as well as removing the intercooler to stick my power washer nozzle right up it :eye:

I won't lie, I almost came close to requiring new underwear..... That noise :drink:

On the upside, I saved the engine twice! As I was changing the timing belt, I pulled off the pulley to find a bit of metal jammed between parts of the inside of the pulley and having chewed through the plastic belt casing, it was now starting to chew into the belt!!!!

Mad day all round!
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Ford Rubbish!

Unread post by CitroJim »

Gosh, what an 'adventure' :shock:

Pleased the engine, you and your underwear survived :-D

I know, it's bloody terrifying... I once saw the aftermath of a 1.9TD that ran away... And heard one doing it... Horrifying...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Doo
(Donor 2022)

Re: Ford Rubbish!

Unread post by Doo »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 16:09 Gosh, what an 'adventure' :shock:

Pleased the engine, you and your underwear survived :-D

I know, it's bloody terrifying... I once saw the aftermath of a 1.9TD that ran away... And heard one doing it... Horrifying...
I was telling my man at the local engineering shop and he agreed' the runaway is one of the most terrifying sounds ever.... Unless you're watching dodgy telly and the wife/child clicks the door handle :rofl2:
Has anyone seen the plot? :?