Fuel leakage, from where?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

guillermo
My Cars:

Fuel leakage, from where?

Post by guillermo »

Hello All
Three days ago my xantia HDI with 210000 KM in the clock started to leak fuel, the sub frame and the lower part of the chasis got wet, with diesel fuel. I´m not 100% sure, but I think it cuold came from the high pressure pump, most probably from the axis seal, them to the cambelt housing, them outside it to the subframe. The rest of the engine is dry, no apparently leaks in the pipes unions etc.
Please if someone has had some similar problem I would like to know how did he solve it.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Regards from south america.
Guillermo
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The earlier TD Xantias have a pair of flexible fuel pipes that go down the back of the engine, down the bulkhead. These are prone to hardening and cracking, does the HDI have the same pair of pipes?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Just a thought, but have you checked the Diesel fuel return line (to the tank)? Its a bit strange, but al the fuel line problems I seem to have on cars be it Citroen, Austin Morris or a Ford is always to do with these pipes???? Also I would check that Fuel aint run down inside the timing belt cover - it can cause the belt to snap if it comes into contact with it. Hope this helps
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Just to clarify, one of the pair of fuel lines I mentioned is the return line.
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

Dear friends,
Thank you for your advices and opinions.
Unfortunately I already have checked the fuel lines and they seem to be OK, but a new idea come up, even it is not very probable, in the case the return line were clooged or obstructed, it can lead to a pressure increase in the return line of the pump, and make it leak.
Until yesterday the cambelt was dry, even though its cover is wet.
I´m afraid that it must be something wrong with the pump.
any other advice would be appreciated.
Regards
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

with mileage it is probable pump front seal is leaking,it is fairly easy to fix but youd best replace cam belt at same time as it has to be removed to replace seal,lots of damage if belt fails,remove cambelt,pump sprocket then just prise seal out fit new one re/assemble regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Fairly easy on older Roatry pumps.. Anyone done the New Electronic Pumps.. Just a thought they may be very different, as the HDi's are different to the IDI D Turbos.
Have you checked the Return Pipes from the injectors???
Regards
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

with mileage it is probable pump front seal is leaking,it is fairly easy to fix but youd best replace cam belt at same time as it has to be removed to replace seal,lots of damage if belt fails,remove cambelt,pump sprocket then just prise seal out fit new one re/assemble regards malcolm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dear Malcom,
Have you done this job in a HDI engine? The seal is a normal seal?
Excuse me for my cuestions, but I already have change this seal in " normal injection pumps" which is easy, but never in a HDI engine.-
Regards
Guillermo
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no Guillermo i havent done HDI one yet dint notice that it is HDI,some one on here will know im sure regards malcolm