Just when you thought it was safe to relax

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Just when you thought it was safe to relax

Post by mickthemaverick »

I can't even do that anymore Dormouse, since my severe gastric issues a couple of years ago I am unable to eat anything green as it results in severe digestive issues!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I wrote a semi autobiographical, fictional novel which had LOML's aunt as the fictional character Kate. Don't ask or overly think it through. Kate was a main character in my book and had a philandering, womanising poacher for a hubby. To my immense pleasure, I managed to write 20 chapters or so and publish it and bind it myself ( all 4 copies of it) before "Kate" passed. She loved it, loved her character and the fact that it reflected the sorrows in her life as well as the pluses along with the "what if" bits she was willing to share with us when she was alive.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

She didn't like greens either. It is amazing what you find out about people when you cook a meal for them.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Too late, the time to put sprouts on has passed for this year.

I don't mind others doing what they want to do, just don't want to be involved. Never have liked 'celebrations' of any kind but of course always made it a good time for the kids.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dormouse wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 20:15 Anyway, who is going to massacre sprouts this year?
I shall be doing a lovely hot, spicy vegetarian curry this year but no sprouts will be harmed in its creation ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Curried sprouts!

Might set a new culinary trend and edge Gordon Ramsay off his perch.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I enjoy making stir fry veg and chicken with an Irn Bru sauce. A lot better than it sounds.

We use the Pinch of Nom cook books and pretty much enjoy most of them for flavours and clear instructions. By pure chance we came across a recipe for potato and lentil soup which has solved a 60 year old mystery.
I always found my Aunty Rachel's tattie soup much better than anyone else's - much to the annoyance of my mum. Aunty Rachel would never reveal her recipe though.

It turns out she put a Bay leaf in her pot whilst cooking the soup along with Sage, if the Pinch of Nom book is correct. When I tasted it there was this instant light bulb moment where you have all your memories flood back. It was so pronounced a feeling that I had to have 2 bowls! We have tried again a few times, shuffling the recipe about, and it is the Bay leaf that makes the biggest difference to that memorable taste.

See to that, then.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Don't laugh too hard. When I do sprouts with bacon bits, I use Turmeric and Garlic salt to season them.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I used to love sprouts just very lightly boiled and with a sprinkling of vinegar as you would on chips!! I miss all the green stuff I used to love but I'm happy with the resulting stable constitution!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 02 Dec 2022, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

My mother used to make a braised cabbage dish she called Suki Yaki. Try as I might, I can't find a recipe today to replicate it. Anyone got any suggestions?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Dormouse wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 12:14 My mother used to make a braised cabbage dish she called Suki Yaki. Try as I might, I can't find a recipe today to replicate it. Anyone got any suggestions?

And even

Odd coincidence that I had just been looking for Akiko Wakabayashi
24579_1_front.jpg
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

That looks good but way more ingredients than my Mum ever used. Certainly never used Saki. Thanks for that one.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

There are several others there too.

Have to admit that it was the song that I remembered, the recipes were a bonus.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

song is actually ok too. I love the eclectic mix put up here, although I admit I don't post much. Baba O'Reilly has to be my all time favourite = still have it on 8 track!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Thought I could just take a quick snap of my Who's Next LP but LOML has moved all the LPs to make room for Christmas deccies.