406 2.1 tdi info needed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marbro1
My Cars:

406 2.1 tdi info needed

Post by Marbro1 »

Hi All
This is my first post, can anybody tell me what the oil seperator actually does [?] (situated between the oil filler and the air trunking from the air filter housing).
Does ths have a renewal/service interval, the Haynes B.O.L is suitably brief.
Thanks in advance
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

It catches drops of oil being blown out of the crankcase, and allows them to dribble back down into the engine rather than being blown into the air filter. The XUD one is fairly effective if it is mounted correctly (inlet at bottom, and outlet horizontal). It needs no maintainence.
Marbro1
My Cars:

Post by Marbro1 »

Thanks fastandfurryous.
Another question for the forum, as emmissions (co2, hc, etc) are not part of the MOT test for diesels, is it ok to remove the cat and replace with a straight through pipe?.[:)]
Has anybody done this[?] and if so what difference did it make.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Although I've never done it (I've never yet had a car new enough to have a cat!) I have heard of many people doing so. It makes the exhaust a little more free-flowing, and can release a few hp. Usually only done when the cat gets clogged up, or damaged in some other way.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Some sort of emmisions test is performed on a diesel car when being MOT'd as I have got a print out stapled to the MOT certificate for my 306 DT.
I know that any car manufactured after 1992 had to have a CAT fitted and if you removed it the vehicle should fail the MOT.
I would pop down to your local MOT station and ask them before removing it.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

The Cat rule on 1992 on cars is for petrol engines only.
The diesel emissions test is a particulates test only, performed by revving the t!t5 off your engine in neutral. The limits are 2.5k for atmo engines and 3k for Turbo engines. It's a fairly meaninless test as the engine is on full load for about a second or so while spinning up to govenor speed. I have had fairly clean burning engines fail, and some engines that smoke like the proverbial pass with flying colours (usually blue and grey!)
Either way, removing the cat on any diesel engine will not cause an mot fail, certainly not until the diesel emission test is updated for new cars. (And it is uttery unlikely that it will be backdated. All changes are announced when the cars are new, and implemented when they get to 3 years old)