turn steering wheel to make unlocking easier

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edson Achaca

turn steering wheel to make unlocking easier

Post by Edson Achaca »

Good day guys!

I’m Edson and I own a 2012 Citroen DS5, I have my car for 7 months and last night I parked the car and when I came back to start it in the morning start showing this message on the dashboard “ turn steering wheel to make unlocking easier” but the steering wheel wasn’t locked and the car is not starting what might be the problem and what should I do?
Attachments
28AF6A77-8CAC-449C-BDEA-174082EA8D15.png
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: turn steering wheel to make unlocking easier

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There may be an issue with the electronic steering lock used on these which also affect the immobiliser as the system is interlinked.

Make sure the car is not parked up against a kerb, as this can cause problems with freeing the lock if the wheels are being restricted from movement. If that is not the case, try reinitialising the fobs again.

Follow the specific guide here to reinitialise the fobs. The guide is general for PSA vehicles with or without hands free starting and with / without Stop Start technology, so follow the part after battery reconnection that applies to your vehicle as I don't know what system you have - (hands free / stop start or other).

Otherwise you may want to follow the complete guide for a BSI reset and see if that will fix the issue.

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like the car thinks the steering is locked when it isn't, in which case the steering lock or wiring are probably broken.
Richard W
Edson Achaca

Post by Edson Achaca »

Well I don’t know what you mean by start stop if it’s that technology that when I stop at the traffic sign the engine goes of and when I release the pedal it comes back on or you mean the start stop button if you mean the button it has a start stop button with a keyless key. How do I start the fobs? Can you explain please?

And it’s not parked against a kerb, it’s on free opened space.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stop Start System = Engine stops at traffic lights and starts when clutch is depressed (manual gearbox)
Keyless Starting = Stop / Start Button on dash.
Keyless Entry / Starting = proximity sensors in the vehicle detect fob carried on person to unlock doors when opening door handle. Start Button is used to start vehicle.

All these are covered in the link in my last post. You need to do the basics to reinitialise the fobs first. If the problem continues then you may have an issue with the electronic steering lock as this and the immobiliser system (which prevents starting) are linked together with the engine immobiliser.

Marc
Edson Achaca

Post by Edson Achaca »

Ok Marc thanks I’ll try that my car has a Keyless Entry / Starting = proximity sensors in the vehicle detect fob carried on person to unlock doors when opening door handle. Start Button is used to start vehicle. Can you please provide me your WhatsApp number so I can make a video and show if I’m doing it the right way?
Edson Achaca

Post by Edson Achaca »

Marc, how can I proceed my car doesn’t even accept to open the windows they are electric and don’t go down without power
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So are you not able to switch the ignition on and wind the window down?

If not then I suspect you have a main car battery problem. If it's not providing enough power for this, then that may be your issue and you may need a new battery. Cars like this use power when not being used and it will drain the battery if not used regularly. Some of the sensors are active all the time like the proximity sensors awaiting an unlocking signal for example. All these take power and if your main battery is very weak, then I suggest you follow the guide and take the battery off the vehicle and charge it up for 24-48 hours. If the battery is over 5 years old, then it is probably at end of life and needs replacing.

Marc