Drums brake difficult put in and not spin freely?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Theflyingpostman
My Cars: Citroën AX 1.1 Chicago 1991
Peugeot 306 sedan 1.9TDI 1994
Peugeot 306 Estate Meridian 2.0HDI 2001
Citroën C5 2.0HDI 2004 VTR+
Citroën AX 1.5D Cascade 1995

Drums brake difficult put in and not spin freely?

Post by Theflyingpostman »

In My Citroën AX 1.5D 1995, I had all new brake for the rear, wheel cylinders, springs kits, new shoes and new wheel bearings. When I have completed fit the new parts and I have tried to push the drums in, and it wasn't easy, I have used a rubber hammer both the drums went in, I heard the inner drums rim screech on the brake shoes surface. It wasn't spinning freely like seized. I took it off with tools because the drum were stuck in. I have checked the adjustment is on the shortest setting! The handbrake cables are loose the longest as possible. I have refitted the drums, it is a bit better but is not free spinning, but it moves the tyres! I don't know what is wrong, if I drive normal, would it's bedding/wear to give more room inside the drums? Not only that, but I would guess my engine will work hard and overheating the drums brake?

Any suggesting what is wrong?
thanks
boreas7
My Cars: C3 phase 11

Re: Drums brake difficult put in and not spin freely?

Post by boreas7 »

In the past I've had clearance problems when fiiting new brake shoes. I resorted to filing a slight taper across the width, on both leading and trailing edges of the new shoes and this seems to help. If possible I would not bang the drums on as you risk chipping the brake linings or disturbing the springs etc. Better to wiggle the drums on. You could remove the drums again and try tapering the edges of the shoes.
I've never been lucky enough to spin the wheel after fitting new linings, there was always some drag, but it shouldn't be excessive.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is there a lip worn into the edge of the drum that pushes on first? Its normal to have to grind this lip off of worn drums when fitting new shoes to allow them to fit over.
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

wheeler wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:23 Is there a lip worn into the edge of the drum that pushes on first? Its normal to have to grind this lip off of worn drums when fitting new shoes to allow them to fit over.
Extremely good point, as new internal diameter of unworn edge, where the brake shoe does not come in contact with the drum, will make life a little more difficult.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

boreas7 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 15:40
wheeler wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:23 Is there a lip worn into the edge of the drum that pushes on first? Its normal to have to grind this lip off of worn drums when fitting new shoes to allow them to fit over.
Extremely good point, as new internal diameter of unworn edge, where the brake shoe does not come in contact with the drum, will make life a little more difficult.
A little confused by this, if the shoes are a standard size and the unworn part of the drum is the standard size why would you have to grind it? :?
You maybe have to take off any rust built up on the edge but not the actual metal.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 19:55
boreas7 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 15:40
A little confused by this, if the shoes are a standard size and the unworn part of the drum is the standard size why would you have to grind it? :?
You maybe have to take off any rust built up on the edge but not the actual metal.

You are correct in what you say but if the lip can be removed it makes putting the drum back easier. I wouldn't grind it myself with a handgrinder, as there is a risk you could stray onto the braking surface. It could be removed with a hardened hand scraper. The other thing I do with new shoes, apart from tapering slightly the leading and trailing edges, is to hold the completed assembly and shuffle it within the constraints of the springs and the pressure points on the cylinder, to form the roundest assembly that I can make. It sounds a bit obvious but it is suprising how off centre you can assemble the components.
Theflyingpostman
My Cars: Citroën AX 1.1 Chicago 1991
Peugeot 306 sedan 1.9TDI 1994
Citroën C5 2.0HDI 2004 VTR+
Citroën AX 1.5D Cascade 1995

Post by Theflyingpostman »

Now the car is fine after I have drove 20 miles, the engine were work hard, I could smell overheating maybe I should not have done this, but in the first 5 miles, it becomes smooth more power pull. Returned home and jack it up and spin the wheels, it freely spins. I do not know, maybe the auto adjustment didn't do the job in the first place, then it works? Very strange. Thanks for info, appreciate it. I am not car mechanical, but I did the job on my own to save money the garage charge too much. :-D