Citroen jumper (relay) weak/long cranking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Senegym
My Cars: Citroen jumper (relay)

Citroen jumper (relay) weak/long cranking

Post by Senegym »

Hi I have invested in a 2008 citroen jumper (relay) van for house renovation purposes. However I have recently had issues with the crank/starting procedure. Sometimes the van starts just fine, other times it will crank and crank and After 2-3 20s cranking cycles it fires up.

I first thought it was a battery related issue because the old battery was getting weak and after I while the van would not crank at all. After change of battery I can now crank it over and over so that it eventually starts, but there seems to be an issue causing this not related to battery.

From my understanding I have the 120hp 2198cc P22DTE engine. Still have not managed to understand if this is the ford puma engine or pse engine.

Best regards
Sebastian
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen jumper (relay) weak/long cranking

Post by wheeler »

It will be a Ford engine on this year.
The engine earth straps are common for high resistance on the Relay. Try removing & cleaning up both the contact faces. It goes from the gearbox to the chassis at the gearbox mounting. If you have no joy with that could just be a lazy starter motor.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Do the Ford engines suffer from failing crank sensors?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Paul-R wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 10:56 Do the Ford engines suffer from failing crank sensors?
I wouldn't say its a common issue but this could be easily ruled out by looking at live data of the engine RPM.
One thing the Ford engines are common for is the flywheel braking up & clogging up the starter, apparently you can go through a few starters before any flywheel symptoms start to show.
Senegym
My Cars: Citroen jumper (relay)

Post by Senegym »

Thanks for input will def. Check the earth points!
Is the engine code the right one I have written above? Can’t really seem to understand which engine is in the car and which engines was ”good” and ”bad”?