Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Clothes Peg

From todays POTD
temp2.png
All you ever wanted to know about the clothes peg but were afraid to ask. its a full 12 minute read but a small bit of effort and curiosity is always required to acquire knowledge.
Odd trivia link but true, the article includes an image of bit of public art sculpture by Swedish born Claes Oldenburg from May 1974. Clothespin is a weathering steel sculpture by Claes Oldenburg, located at Centre Square, 1500 Market Street, Philadelphia, USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clot ... enberg.jpg

After a decent innings, he was 93, Claes has only just this week passed away on 18th July 2022, so a fitting commemoration for his work on the FCF.

One of his installations is called "Bottle O'Notes". Could be another trivia question "Where is the Claes Oldenburg sculpture "Bottle O'Notes" located. :?: "

try here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claes_Old ... _Notes.jpg

The Wiki page for Claes Oldenburg is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claes_Old ... %5Bedit%5D

and BBC item from 3 days ago with a bigger pic of the "Bottle O'Notes" included.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62217301

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There's no other place for it, but the place we paused at for the flask of tea/coffee was Kirk Yetholm , famously the end point of the Pennine Way.

A certain Alfred Wainwright honoured his commitment throughout his life to offer a free pint at the Border Hotel Kirk Yetholm to anyone who completed the Pennine way ( he did have to shave it back to a half-pint in later years due to the increase in volume of claimants! and the price of beer). The tradition has been carried on and sponsored by some local breweries and the website of the Border Hotel maintains the free half-pint tradition.

Makes and interesting read. This post covers some newspaper articles and the story from the start to pretty much now.
The Pennine Way Pint

Wainwright Wrote in his "Pennine Way Companion" guide.
Arrangements have been made with the Border Hotel at Kirk Yetholm for bona fide Pennine Wayfarers, who have completed the walk in a single journey to be supplied with a congratulatory pint ( of beer or lemonade-not whisky and only one mind you) at the Author's expense. Just say charge it to Wainwright. Cheers.
And here is the BB Leaf in an untarted about with, straight from the camera photo in Kirk Yetholm, with the Border Hotel past the trees in the background.
DSC02298.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Trivia Investigation Team:Portslade

Subject of the day

Portslade somewhere near Kingston by Sea
mickthemaverick wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 12:06 Not too far from my friends house in Kingston by Sea!! :-D
See if you can find a decent snippet

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Trivia Investigation Team:Portslade

Subject of the day

Portslade somewhere near Kingston by Sea

See if you can find a decent snippet

Snippet 1. Brighton and Hove Named Buses (No 905)

Trivia link...since 1999, the Brighton and Hove’s buses have been adorned with the name of a famous person from history with strong connections to Brighton and the surrounding area.

The story behind the names you see on the front of Brighton buses

The full list of names is here including Rev Richard Enraght, former Curate of Portslade
https://www.buses.co.uk/bus-names
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

One of the interesting buildings in Portslade is Foredown Tower which contains one of only two operational camera obscura in the South East of England!!
BFTW
BFTW
Now that is what I call Trivia!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The Tates garage (as per Neil's original post) was originally a family laundry on a different site:
"During the late 1800s Alfred Tate started a laundry on the corner of Foredown Drive and Old Shoreham Road in Portslade. Most laundries were transporting their goods by horse and cart at the time, but after a car accident in 1896 Alfred converted a Daimler to what is regarded to be the first commercial vehicle in Sussex, using the cart top of a horse drawn vehicle to achieve this conversion. The business was ultimately taken over by his sons Albert and Fred, who started to operate a film transportation business. To keep their film distribution vehicles in shape, they built a small corrugated shed alongside the Southern Cross laundry to carry out simple repairs on their vans. They were soon helping to fix others vehicles. Word grew that this was the place you could take your vehicle to be repaired, adding another arm to their business. The Tate brothers expanded their workshop as more and more customers came to see the Tate brothers for parts and repairs."
https://www.tatesofsussex.co.uk/history-of-tates/
The Foredown Drive mentioned leads in the right direction to Foredown Tower in Mick's post, though with a few residential roads in between.

To the south on the coast there's Western Esplanade with a row of houses owned by the rich and (allegedly) famous. Fatboy Slim, Adele, P. McCartney, Derek Jameson all may or may not have lived there.
Western esplanade - Googl'erf
Western esplanade - Googl'erf
Portslade and nearby Aldrington were also home to Britain's embryonic film industry, with early filming taking place in a backstreet workshop until the film 'industry' moved to Shoreham Beach to make use of the good light levels.
Southern Sound radio station used to be based in Franklin Road in Portslade.
The main north - south shopping road has a chippy called The Athena B - named after a ship that ran aground at Brighton in early 1980.

Enough trivia, or more required ? :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 16:47 Enough trivia, or more required ? :lol:
That was an excellent helping, so best not be too greedy. :-D Enjoyed the direct info about Tate's Garage which was part of the numberplate noticing which kicked the trivia trail off.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 20:32 A picture to make the Pickled Egg Pylon Spotters Club happy, and the more keen members might want to work out where it is from its location data plate :-D

It is on the Bolney to Lovedean sub-station (near Horndean) Transmission Line. The tower number starts with the line code 4VF and tower numbers are between 001 and 190. The transmission line originates in Dungeness. Next part of the chain is Ninfield then Bolney then Lovedean and onwards...........

4VF ROUTE TWR (001 - 190) 09/06/20 C 400 BOLNEY - LOVEDEAN 1

It is a 400 kV line.

Thats the trivia so far.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Always nice to have a look at Hansard.

Electricity (Bolney-Lovedean Power Line)
Volume 705: debated on Friday 22 January 1965

Big controversy over the "red route" or the "blue route" and this comment from the local MP
Mr Peter Hordern (Horsham) objecting to the decision to choose the "red route" and calling for a fresh enquiry.
Indeed, if the heat generated in my constituency by that decision could be fed into the national grid there would be no need either for pylons or for cables.
and another quote
He will have noted, as I have, the enormous correspondence on a national scale which has been generated by the decision not to put underground any part of the proposed line from Petworth to Lovedean. I have seen almost 200 letters from amenity societies all over the country which are associated with the Civic Trust supporting the views expressed by the Society of Sussex Downsmen.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I may have counted wrongly but did find an image looking west of the tower V4F 46 with 45 and 44 in the background.

With that I concluded that the tower numbering starts from 001 at the Lovedean-1 end and ending up at 190 at the Bolney sub-station end. I followed and counted the pylon markers up from 46 generally eastwards, along on the map and got pretty much adjacent to Midhurst/Stedham for V4F 070

This one in the corner of the field, between Toft Lane and Woolbeding Lane/Linch Road

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0072597 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Is it a slow day at Falcon Towers by any chance, Neil ? :-D Spot on with your deductions though - top marks. There's a footpath going down the field boundary allowing for the close up shot of the pylon. The sheeps were slightly to the north of that pylon in an adjoining field.

For added glamour, here's a shot of the National Grid helicopter doing line inspections on the V4F line from a couple of weeks ago.
National Grid helicopter - own work
National Grid helicopter - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That helicopter picture reminded me of the inspection trips that ICI used to do weekly on the ethylene pipeline. They took me up for the ride once but I have to say it was more fun doing ground inspections across all terrain in their Unimog!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Bit of Trivia (although actually quite serious) about Mick's Green Goddess posted on the "interesting and unusual engines/motors" thread here viewtopic.php?p=730666#p730666

Level crossings a bit of a weak point on any railway system, even the RH&D Railway. Green Goddess fairly recently back after a resurrection following a collision with a tractor on the line. No serious injuries in that incident, but others on the same line as indicated at the bottom of this article were much more serious.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Rather than bog down POTD with a trivia aside. I had a small delve into Jim's Class 66 posted today more fodder for the trivia enthusiast
CitroJim wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 06:31 Serious motive power at Westbury - tugging a ballast train...

Class 66 makes an interesting read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_66

Built in London...(Ontario) :-D . They also acquired the nicknames of "sheds" for the EWS (now DBS) locomotives (due to their upturned roof looking like a shed roof) with the Freightliner locomotives being called "Freds" as a portmanteau of Freightliner and Shed.

Wiki tells the tale quite well, which would appear to be a very reliable locomotive, imported in large quantities for the privatised freight operations in the UK, owned by overseas companies.

On my reading the motive power is a two-stroke diesel from General Motors!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

There is additional information on the Wiki Fandom page: :-D

https://british-rail-locomotives.fandom ... al_Details