Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Can't find my original photographic efforts from the "noughties" when the long journey from Northumberland to Cardiff passed through Monmouth and stopped off to walk over the bridge.

So geograph comes up with the goods as Monmouthshire draws to a close in its day-ish in the spotlight.
geograph-1241357-by-Pauline-E.jpg
geograph-1241366-by-Pauline-E.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

_______Monmouthshire Done_______

If there is more to add about Monmouthshire I will move this post, but we have had a decent coverage of the County so time to keep things fresh and move on to the next one.
counties left 2.jpg
Random Selection 15
New County for Saturday Shetland

Welcome to Shetland FCF finder-outers
geograph-4020340-by-Mike-Pennington.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Very simple flag for Shetland:
BFTW
BFTW
Details here

The location:
BFTW
BFTW
and some places:
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

For me Shetland is a place of beauty and serenity although it is definitely not a backwater. I think the best place to start discovering it is its own website:
BFTW
BFTW
You can get straight to the website from here!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Shetland...

Word association

Ponies, Jumpers, Fair Isle, No trees, nearer to Norway than to Great Britain, Folk Music, Fishing, Oil, Green energy, Up Helly AA, Vikings.

Plenty of TV and youtube programmes drama's and documentaries featuring the island.

This was on just the other night...
temp2.png
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Only one vehicle registration area code to deal with for Sheltand
temp2.png
Regards Neil

PS (how appropriate is that :!: )
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well Shetland has hit the PS Jackpot.....there is a Flickr Group called "Registered in Shetland" with 522 images on its books.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2124843@N22/pool/

Regards Neil.

PS here is my example intended to be selected at random, but the random hand kept putting up the more modern zero interest buses on post 74 plates, or images which werent half as interesting as the ones I ihad counted through to get to the random selection.

So there are 6 pages, 5 with 100 on and one with 22 images on. So I am allowing myself to introduce my bias by selecting a page purely randomly but using my own bias to pick out an example from the page. It is Page 5 :-D

Number one on the page will do
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Looking down the rest of the Page 5 photos there is a proliferation of Reliant 3-wheelers.

I wonder if Reliant found a rich seam of business and popularity at one time within the Shetland Community.

Here's a page to ponder of Shetland Reliants. Maybe the fibre glass was a selling point because of the salty air :?:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?group_id ... xt=reliant

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Shetland's current biggest controversy, and its named after a small Northumberland Village

Cambo: Ithaca Energy pledges to develop controversial oil field

"Our oil" not likely, "Shetland's Oil" not likely, "Energy security for UK" not likely, "Cheaper petrol prices by using our own oil" not likely. Every single drop of Cambo Oil and its nearby yet to be developed Rosebank Oil-Field, will be owned by the Companies who have paid the licences to find it and produce it, and the UK almost uniquely has no shareholder interest in any of the oil producer companies.

Yes there is knock on economic development, from servicing the industry and building infrastructure, and Sheltland has seen such economic benefits.

I take a bit of interest in names, although I havent tracked down exactly why "Cambo" was selected for the field.
Oil companies sometimes use conventions in naming fields there are about 4 named after Whisky brands one of which is the Rosebank Field adjacent to the Cambo Field, some named after mountains and some named after birds.

I think Cambo has some connection with Siccar Point Energy, who have now been acquired by Ithaca Energy.
The licences appear to be commodities traded too. Siccar Point Energy - which put the project on hold when Shell pulled out - has now been acquired by Ithaca Energy in a $1.5bn (£1.125bn) deal.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Brewery of the day, has to be Lerwick Brewery https://www.lerwickbrewery.co.uk/shop

This lager caught my eye
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

My quick arms length internet assessment of the "Pubs of Shetland" would come up with they all appear to be awful.

Prove me wrong with a suggestion!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A 12 minute documentary about the Sullom Voe oil terminal using film from a 1977 documentary short along with up to date narration.

"The Sullom Voe Terminal is an oil and gas terminal at Sullom Voe in the Shetland Islands of Scotland. It handles production from oilfields in the North Sea and East Shetland Basin and stores oil before it is transported by tanker.
When Shetland was identified as a location to provide pipeline terminal and support facilities for offshore oil installations in the northern North Sea, corporations involved had expected to each build their own terminal facilities. However, wishing to minimize the negative impacts of the industry, the Shetland Islands Council, with power granted to it by the UK Parliament in the 1974 Zetland County Council Act, was able to contain all pipeline terminal facilities at the Sullom Voe site.
Sullom Voe Terminal was built between 1975 and 1981. 6,000 people were employed during construction. They were housed in temporary accommodation, including the former car ferry Rangatira.
The first oil was received at 18:40 on 25 November 1978 via the Brent pipeline. At 12:30 on 3 December 1978, the first oil from the Ninian pipeline was received. The Scatsta Airport to the south re-opened in 1978 to support the building of the terminal.
The terminal was officially opened on Saturday 9 May 1981 by Queen Elizabeth II. A bomb was detonated at the power station on the terminal at 12.05pm on the day of the ceremony which was attributed to the IRA by Connor McCarthy. A boiler was damaged but no-one was injured. Despite the bombing the ceremony continued, concluding with the Queen dining aboard Rangatira that evening."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullom_Voe_Terminal

Not far from Sullom voe you can also go and see Mavis Grind.
"...... is a narrow isthmus joining the Northmavine peninsula to the rest of the island of Shetland Mainland in the Shetland Islands, Scotland.
Mavis Grind is said to be the only place in the UK where you can toss a stone across land from the North Sea to the Atlantic Ocean."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavis_Grind

In case you were wondering.... the car ferry Rangatira

https://www.bluestarline.org/rangatira.html
Last edited by bobins on 18 Jun 2022, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

We Can cover railways in Shetland quite quickly

There aren't any, but somehow a genuine looking signal has made its way here as an objet d'art.
geograph-5849304-by-Jo-Turner.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 19:35 The Scatsta Airport to the south re-opened in 1978 to support the building of the terminal.
Had a brief diversion to the wiki page for Scatsta Airport, as the pic of the Renault I chose for the PS example vehicle was parked at Scatsta Airfield and described as a staff members car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatsta_Airport
Scatsta terminal
Mike Pennington, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
By August 2018 Scatsta was the sixth largest airport in Scotland, ranked by international passengers. This classification may have been on the basis of helicopter flights to and from oil rigs in the Norwegian and/or Faroes sectors of the North Atlantic/North Sea oil region, or some classification of flights to foreign-registered (though UK-crewed and serviced) oil rigs as being "foreign" destinations. The only fixed wing route operating regularly from Scatsta was a shuttle to and from Aberdeen, to ferry offshore crew to Scatsta for onward travel via helicopter to oil rigs, and also mainland workers at the Sullom Voe Terminal commonly working either a 2-week on/off shift or 10 days on 4 days off rota.
Its decline was quite rapid
On 4 March 2020, the integrated contract was awarded to Babcock MCS who intended to use Sumburgh Airport in the south of Shetland. With the loss of this contract Scatsta airport announced that it would be closing in the summer of 2020 with a loss of 65 jobs. Shetland Council are now seeking alternative uses for the airfield infrastructure.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

And this is where the A970 road crosses the main runway :)
Scatsta runway - Google Maps
Scatsta runway - Google Maps
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(