Has my Head Gasket gone?

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sixfoottwo
My Cars: Ds3 Cliosports

Has my Head Gasket gone?

Post by sixfoottwo »

Yep another thread by me :?

So I gave the car a run for 10 mins around the block and white smoke was pouring out the back so I pulled over opened the bonnet up and my coolant had gone from near max to below min, not empty but if I'd carried on I reckon it would have been.

Coolant had turned a brown horrible colour and it looked like it was at boiling point too also near the turbo it was steaming thought the thing was going go on fire!!

Any ideas guys?
Tonyl
My Cars: C4 g Picasso 1.6 hdi
C2 1.4 hdi
Pug RCZ 200

Re: Has my Head Gasket gone?

Post by Tonyl »

White exhaust is classic head gasket symptom where it’s failed between combustion and water. You can get a fairly cheap kit to test on EB - samples the coolant looking for combustion gases - I’ve used successfully also to diagnose NOT gasket failure hence forced to look as other things like thermostat, coolant pressure cap etc. which much easier to fix
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

Tonyl wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 16:04 White exhaust is classic head gasket symptom where it’s failed between combustion and water. You can get a fairly cheap kit to test on EB - samples the coolant looking for combustion gases - I’ve used successfully also to diagnose NOT gasket failure hence forced to look as other things like thermostat, coolant pressure cap etc. which much easier to fix
Thanks for the reply. I've read alot and it all points to head gasket gone as I'm getting smoke when driving (none at the mo when idling had the car sat running for 45mins and nothing) coolant turning brown and dropping below min level although it's now returned to the same level as when I topped it up! Odd!!

Oil seems OK though no mayo/milkshake.

I'm just wondering if its worth doing a coolant flush and if that could be a reason for my issues, maybe it's clogged up after not being run for months?
Tonyl
My Cars: C4 g Picasso 1.6 hdi
C2 1.4 hdi
Pug RCZ 200

Post by Tonyl »

Mayo will only happen if head gasket has failed between oil and water ways. Your symptoms do seem to point towards head - water to combustion space. Or a crack but let’s stay positive. If you don’t immediately need the car get one of the cheap testing kits - mine was an eBay special and worked well. Has a bubble s-bend that you fill with blue liquid. Pop on coolant reservoir, run engine, liquid turns green then you have a problem! Stays blue? Then you know it’s not combustion gases pressurising.
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

Tonyl wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 13:20 Mayo will only happen if head gasket has failed between oil and water ways. Your symptoms do seem to point towards head - water to combustion space. Or a crack but let’s stay positive. If you don’t immediately need the car get one of the cheap testing kits - mine was an eBay special and worked well. Has a bubble s-bend that you fill with blue liquid. Pop on coolant reservoir, run engine, liquid turns green then you have a problem! Stays blue? Then you know it’s not combustion gases pressurising.
Thanks again for the reply.

I have read about them test kits as I've been googling for hrs! I'll order one up, car is not needed.

I did ring a mobile mechanic as I don't want to drive it just in case I make it worse to get his opinion but waiting on a call back

Finngers crossed but the signs are not great! :(
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

Small update, no idea if it's good news or not!

White smoke has been replacing by black but seems to be only when revving it.

Coolant still dropping so no change there.

I also did a test using one of those cheap tests that you put liquid in and then put it in the expansion tank, ran it for 10 mins or so and it stayed blue but a little lighter blue it looked.

Not that impressed with it though because I held it over the exhaust and it didn't change colour!! So no idea if it's accurate or not.
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

Anyone know If it could be the oil cooler? someone mentioned it could be that, where is it located please? anyone know so I can check.

Thanks.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

A failed oil cooler will cause oil to enter the cooling system, but not smoke in the exhaust.
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

xantia_v6 wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 15:40 A failed oil cooler will cause oil to enter the cooling system, but not smoke in the exhaust.
Ok, thanks back to the drawing board then!
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

You could ask a local garage to hook their probe up in the exhaust, that'll tell you whether coolant is is in the combustion chamber. I did it years ago but in reverse because I thought combustion gases were getting into the coolant circuit. I used a swimming pool PH test kit to test the vapours in the reservoir.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

moizeau wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 06:36 You could ask a local garage to hook their probe up in the exhaust, that'll tell you whether coolant is is in the combustion chamber. I did it years ago but in reverse because I thought combustion gases were getting into the coolant circuit. I used a swimming pool PH test kit to test the vapours in the reservoir.
Cheers.

I am pretty sure it's not a blown headgasket now, white smoke has gone and its been replaced by a puff of black smoke when revving it.

I've had it running with a few revs thrown in with the leak combustion tester attached and the liquids stayed blue. It's been idling/running for over an hour now.

I have found this today, no idea where this has come from as I had zero leaks in the past.

It only seems to leak when I play about with the heater and put it on hot/Hi.

Vid.

I've got a mobile mechanic coming later to give it a once over.
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

OK mobile mechanic has been and he seems to think the black smoke is normal and will go once its in daily use!

The 'leak' is the condenser drain and is normal too!

He also told me never to change the fuel filter on a Ds as you will never get it going again!!

I am not sure if to believe all the above but he seems to have alot of happy customers (read the reviews) and he was a really nice bloke.

We also got talking about the belts and he said the cambelt will be ok (60k) but the aux belt was slightly off line and nearly catching the tensioner and he'd do them plus the fuel filter for £280 cash no idea if that's decent or not.
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

How is your coolant level now?
Leak on the condenser drain is regarding AC, so shouldn't happen on hot.
Never change the fuel filter? But he'll do it with an aux belt....I take it for that money it's a Gates with the pulley/tensioner and idler?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

Does he mean don't change the fuel filter unless you you know how to do it correctly, ie, stop air getting in?
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
sixfoottwo

Post by sixfoottwo »

moizeau wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 18:48 How is your coolant level now?
Leak on the condenser drain is regarding AC, so shouldn't happen on hot.
Never change the fuel filter? But he'll do it with an aux belt....I take it for that money it's a Gates with the pulley/tensioner and idler?
Not dropped or minimal drop at most, I only have water in there though as I was fed up of watching my recently bought coolant disappear!

I think it happened on Hot/Hi or maybe it was on Cold, think the weather has fried my brain!

Gates. don't think so!

Belt/tensioner doesn't look a difficult job to be honest although a bit pricey on Eurocarparts at over £200 for the AC/Stop Start one, guessing I need that one as mine is the e-hdi ie eco stop start?