Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recognised the picture, and I believed he was born on the island of Ireland (but I did not know where). I guessed he was born in County Down, but after I posted my reply I then had to look. My answers were TOH.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

One of the key physical features of County Down needs a mention, Strangford Lough, quite unique.

The ferry across the narrow bit from Strangford to Portaferry has been active for four centuries and maybe more.

Strangford Ferry (10), August 2009
Ardfern, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

temp2.jpg
Couple of views of Strangford which made it onto Postage Stamps.
https://townlandsofulster.com/2020/06/04/islandmore/
Islandmore on the left, is what it says on the tin, a large island in Strangford lough, and former home to Michael Faulkner, who lived on Islandmore with his wife Lynn. In the words of the author, “access is boat-only, there is no mains electricity and apart from Eddie the west highland terrier and a cross-section of the wildlife for which Strangford Lough is justly renowned, Lynn and I were the only inhabitants during the twelve years we spent on the island.” The books are “The Blue Cabin – Living by the Tides on Islandmore” and “Still on the Sound”.
http://alaninbelfast.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ental.html
The Strangford Stone is on the right, The ropes bit involved raising a standing stone "The Strangford Stone", in Delamont Country Park. The largest megalith in the United Kingdom or Ireland, the Strangford Stone was hauled upright on the 26th June 1999 by a team of 1000 young people aged 14-20. The height above ground is exactly 10 metres. It sits in prime position in Delamont Country Park overlooking Strangford Lough. Information boards nearby provide an excellent account of the process which brought it here.

The Strangford Stone, Delamont Country Park

© Copyright Rossographer and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I think County Down is done, everyone has had plenty opportunity to contribute, thanks to everyone who did, and if you didn't have a go at today's.

__________County Down is done__________

Todays Selection35

Today's County Peeblesshire

Know it well but its one of these historic things now consumed by Borders Region so the definitive map is here
Aka Tweeddale so its basically the upper strectches of the Tweed and only 3 Major Settlements to trouble the scorers

Peebles, Innerleithen and West Linton with a few smaller villages.
Peebles April 2022
Peebles April 2022
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

The proposed flag is:
BFTW
BFTW
Details here

And the location within Scotland:
BFTW
BFTW
Places to consider are best found from The interactive map Neil has posted! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Should you view this picture I offer the warning that it will subconsciously seep into your associations so that when you see a DS of the Citroen variety you will from this point onwards, associate it with the pre-1974 registration area code for Peeblesshire. Also if you should ever come across Peebles either by visiting or it appearing on radio, TV, the net you will now associate it with the Citroen DS.

See if you don't!

Anyway enough of metaphysical nonsense, it should be easy to find an example of a Peeblesshire plate, but the holy grail would have to be a Citroen DS on a Peeblesshire DS plate.
OK I have missed an &quot;s&quot; out of Peeblesshire!
OK I have missed an "s" out of Peeblesshire!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent interpretation on the Flag again. I do know Peebles well, have seen the three fish symbol around the town, but never bothering to delve further or to translate the motto. If you didnt read the link this is the bit I like.
The salmon are a celebrated local species which inhabit the River Tweed, upon which the town sits. Their particular depiction, with the middle fish aligned opposite to the upper and lower two, refers to their spawning practice, where they swim upstream and reflects the local observation that for every one salmon that swims upstream in the River Tweed two will flow down it! The Latin motto on the arms, “Contrando Incrementum” meaning “Increase by swimming against (the stream)”
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Trivia Investigation Team thread will reveal the question and the answer, there was more than one!
Spooky Peebles

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 09:18 Should you view this picture I offer the warning that it will subconsciously seep into your associations so that when you see a DS of the Citroen variety you will from this point onwards, associate it with the pre-1974 registration area code for Peeblesshire. Also if you should ever come across Peebles either by visiting or it appearing on radio, TV, the net you will now associate it with the Citroen DS.

See if you don't!

Anyway enough of metaphysical nonsense, it should be easy to find an example of a Peeblesshire plate, but the holy grail would have to be a Citroen DS on a Peeblesshire DS plate.

Regards Neil
Kettle needs to be kept boiling, more Peeblesshire posts required. Here I is a DS

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Broughton supplies our brewery of the day.

A selection of well crafted “Jocks”

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This guy certainly likes his Wee Jock

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Lives near my son's house.
IMG_20220616_190832802_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
Son is frequently in Peeblesshire, goes biking at Innerleathen.
He is actually off to Scotland a 04:00 but not to Innerleathen this time.
NewcastleFalcon

After selecting a pub of the day which was closed on Monday using carte blanc today I am selecting the Crook Inn, near Tweedsmuir Peeblesshire. Why :?: Because it’s reputedly the Oldest Inn in Scotland, and Robert Burns wrote a bit of Poetry there.

Slight problem it has had a chequered history recently. Unless you can turn such an Inn into a destination with a reputation for good food and accommodation, it stands little chance of being viable in its location in the 21st Century. A developer buys it and applies for planning permission to turn it into apartments, gets turned down...can’t do that to the Crook Inn, then the Community Save it by buying it , all sorts of plans and grants given to create a community hub.

You would have to drive past it to see it’s current state,, but the ever reliable wiki concludes it’s article with

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crook_Inn
Since then nothing has happened and the building continues to deteriorate. It is listed on the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I used to live near Tweedsmuir in the early 70s, and we occasionally would have a meal there (at The Crook Inn). The son of the landlord (I think his name was Andy Crookshank) used to go to school with me. Tweedsmuir was also famous for somebody who set up home in The Old Post House; John Buchan (who, when he was granted a peerage, took the name of Lord Tweedsmuir). The two lochs near to Tweedsmuir are Talla and Fruid, and provide Edinburgh with (at the time) 80% of their water (and was so pure it needed no filtration). The river Tweed is great for salmon, and you can also pan for gold in the Tweed.

John Buchan's Wiki profile;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Buchan
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 16 Jun 2022, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer on Peeblesshire as I only spent one night at The County Inn in Peebles during the pipeline work. I did have some pictures of the actual high street among my long lost slides but nothing remains other than the vague memory of a not very good breakfast!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!