Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 19:17 Image
The notice is somewhat redundant. It would be rather difficult to charge a non-electric vehicle with it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That fifteen minutes free without the app does work at our local Tesco, couldn't get a signal once on the phone but got the free fifteen charge anyway. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 22:06
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 19:17 Image
The notice is somewhat redundant. It would be rather difficult to charge a non-electric vehicle with it.
Maybe it's telling you not to try to plug your shaver into it. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:15 That fifteen minutes free without the app does work at our local Tesco, couldn't get a signal once on the phone but got the free fifteen charge anyway. :)
Useful to know, thanks Gibbo. Still haven't got one of those smartphone things, but never tried the Tesco Pod-Points.
The Berwick Tesco, might prove useful to us and save a wait, as sometimes the normal rapids we use in the town can be busy. Few miles down the A1 at Belford there is a NCC Rapid near the Fire station that's normally vacant, and a 15 minute charge boost to arrive at that one, with range in hand would be useful at times.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

New Lidl opened in Lydney this week just had a walk round, this in the carpark. Couldn't see the camera for the sunshine so I've cut the top off. :(
Attachments
Lidl charger.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:38 New Lidl opened in Lydney this week just had a walk round, ...

More Gloucestershire Charge point news...
1000 of these are on their way to Gloucestershire. These ones are in Bellingham Northumberland, but just rocking up in the Leaf without a smart phone, excluded from use, although I havent had a look at the website to see how easy or not it is for a non smart phone user, to actually use them.

With a NCC rapid Chademo Charger a few bays up, really there is no pressing need to look!

Here's the story
and the pic of the type of installation in Bellingham, Nothumberland, spaces nicely occupied by fossil fuel cars.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

So if you get 15minutes free and drive off, how long before the system is reactivated so the next driver can get 15minutes free? Or can you just unplug and start again?
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
NewcastleFalcon

Rp0thejester wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 20:45 So if you get 15minutes free and drive off, how long before the system is reactivated so the next driver can get 15minutes free? Or can you just unplug and start again?
Never tried it so I dont know, dont think I'll be giving it a go. I expect it could well work unless the charger "knows" the car which has just spent 15minutes without confirming the charge on the app. Its a concession which if abused will no doubt be taken away.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On the Tesco one I did just that, couldn't get a signal on the phone popped in the shop for fifteen minutes then unplugged and re plugged got another fifteen minutes, not sure if that works on a paid service this was on the free to use one where you just have to 'confirm'
Having taken a look around what's offered in the supermarkets it seems that most (Lidl - Morrisons - etc.) are just 7 Kwh chargers but my Tesco has two 22 Kwh pod-points two 7 Kwh and a 50 Kwh set up.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As for the Gloucester on street chargers I'd be wondering where the hell will Gloucester CC let you stop long enough to charge without fining you for parking. :evil:

Ps. Neil I'm told that all the motorway service station chargers now take contactless card payments.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 09:37 As for the Gloucester on street chargers I'd be wondering where the hell will Gloucester CC let you stop long enough to charge without fining you for parking. :evil:

Ps. Neil I'm told that all the motorway service station chargers now take contactless card payments.
I think Gridserve took them over, and are literally more switched on than the much maligned previous lot Ecotricity :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

More Gridserve news, 12 new 350kW chargers at Moto Wetherby
New high-power chargers join Moto network

This year alone, Moto and Gridserve have already added 65 high-power chargers across seven new Electric Super Hubs in historically underserved areas of the UK, including Swansea, Exeter, Thurrock, Burton-in-Kendal, Heston West and Severn View.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gloop!

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

This week's episode of Just Have a Think is looking at the benefits of electric cars and would fit on a few of our threads but I'll put it here to start with! :-D

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Its a while since I have given Dave a whirl, was a bit concerned that he'd lost his mojo on some of the subjects he was covering, but the video did what he does best, had a look at the research, referenced it shoved up the links.

I'm one who doesn't need convincing, many small experiences like this where I personally just had a thought, tipped the balance for me without needing to consult chart number 92 on a 200 page document.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 13:39 Its nice when you see an EV just quietly going about its business in Pleasantville. One of my local EV's, a red 17 reg Leaf, and the second Leaf for that family, quietly springing into life, and with barely a whirr and no fumes, off to drop children off at a party or heading down the shops. Made the diesel offering I was sitting in from Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino quite the dinosaur in comparison, and as if to confirm the impression on came the DPF regeneration light which required the dinosaur to sit at 2000 revs for 10 minutes while the DPF burnt itself clean again. You couldn't make it up!
Small Experiences number 2
Spoiler: show
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 12:06
Mandrake wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 11:20
Now that you have spent a bit of time driving an EV, have you found your nose more attuned to the smell of petrol and diesel cars ? I certainly have... :twisted:
Absolutely right Simon. We live out in the Country, but walking back early morning from plugging in the car at the free charger, just as the local tradesmen we’re preparing for the day ahead with their vans, pick ups, and lorries idling away as the lads congregated, school buses warming up from cold in the car park, and commuters Newcastle bound streaming out with their vapour trails hanging in the air behind them.

Not exactly the clean fresh country air you might expect.

I think the difference of zero Vehicle emissions “On the road” would be enormous.

While in the process of “dumping my diesel” last week, I started it along the end of the street as it has a very low battery, and I wanted warm it up. In readiness for the scrapyard lads to collect it and drive it away on their garage plates. While it was warming up one of my neighbours came along with his two little toddlers, one in a push chair and one holding his hand. I was embarrassed and apologised to him for the exhaust fumes coming out of my car which unavoidably they had to walk through as they were hanging in the air even with it switched off.

Makes you think about your own albeit small role in contributing to pollution. My ford sierra diesel from years ago was terrible.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey