Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Other famous confections, or concoctions originating in Lancashire , rivals in the burn your mouth stakes.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 09:39 How about a gentle brain workout....now if you looked at the side of the packet and saw ether, liquorice and chloroform on the ingredients list you may not have given these a try!
Originally manufactured in Nelson, Lancashire, they were devised by Thomas Fryer and Edward Smith MD in the mid-19th century and were initially made by hand to ensure that each sweet contained the correct amount of therapeutic ingredients; ether, liquorice and chloroform.
If you know off the top of your head 10 points, if you generously take your time and use the internet I have to dock 1 point, but thanks for your curiosity-it's the joining in that counts!
The others are Fleetwoods finest the Fishermans Friend. Much more of a business and export success, and they come in all sorts of flavours now. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherm ... e%20the%20

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

TOH - would that be Winston's favourite signs? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My wife loved Fisherman's Friends, I can't stand them,
But Victory V lozenges and later pastilles were great.
Haven't seen any for years but too many made you quite squiffy.

I recall reading something about the Fisherman's Friend company, something to do with the woman who first formulated them IIRC, or that she had just died perhaps.

Will look into that later.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

On the subject of random information here is a video all about the Liver Building. I have started the video from the start of the descriptive part leaving out the youtuber's self promotion at the beginning: :-D

NewcastleFalcon

Worth a watch. £7,000 for the job to literally take down the chimney brick by brick, by himself up a height and a single labourer down below...unbelievable.

Just a clip, a Lancashire Genius. Plenty of his work on you tube, this is proper steeple-jacking though.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

___________Lancashire Done__________

Selection time

Only 24 left to go, here they are:
Created
Created
Screenshot
Screenshot
Random Number is 33
New County is Northumberland
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 17 Jun 2022, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

So here we are where I suspect a lot of local contributions will be forthcoming but to start here's the flag, very colourful:
BFTW
BFTW
The details are here

The location in England:
BFTW
BFTW
I expect the pre 74 county will include some of Tyne and Wear but I know Neil will clarify that so here are some places to get started:
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

Northumberlands day will include Newcastle and North Tyneside (Wallsend/North Shields, Tynemouth, Whitley Bay in addition to the current "County Boundaries" shown on the map to reinstate the Historic County.

If you are an FCF reader and you follow the threads on the Off Topic Lounge, I have filled it with images of Northumberland Coast, Country, Rivers,, Hills, Fields and Forests, and many electric vehicle charging points including Britain's most scenic. My task in Northumberland's day in the spotlight, is to search out the new, take some new pictures on the day, as I will be "visiting" it on its day in the spotlight.

For joiners-in one way could be putting Northumberland and Username Newcastlefalcon in the FCF Search facility. and if I have posted an image which appeals, copy it into the day in the spotlight thread. I will do the random thing just to kick off, because I have put up so many its difficult to make a conscious choice.

I have used the word Northumberland in 433 posts, over 29 pages. Random selection of page=9, and up pops...

Bob Ross Cabin and an Sun drenched Icicle
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 13:56 Northumberland the only place in the United Kingdom which has snow today :?:

Regards Neil

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jun 2022, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

mickthemaverick wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:07 So here we are where I suspect a lot of local contributions will be forthcoming.....

I expect the pre 74 county will include some of Tyne and Wear but I know Neil will clarify that so here are some places to get started:
I'm looking forward to a rundown of all the car charging points he's used in Nothumberland, and marks out of 10 for each one :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I found this older but legible map of Northumberland as it was. Perhaps you could confirm Neil that it is representative of the area we are considering? :-D
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:44 I found this older but legible map of Northumberland as it was. Perhaps you could confirm Neil that it is representative of the area we are considering? :-D
Yes I mentioned the additional places here to your original map.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:26 Northumberland's day will include Newcastle and North Tyneside (Wallsend/North Shields, Tynemouth, Cullercoats Whitley Bay in addition to the current "County Boundaries" shown on the map to reinstate the Historic County.

Nothumberland's most scenic charge point used to be 10/10....free, picturesque, nice gardens, nice walks, Otterburn mill 400 yards away for a netty stop, now 0/10, replaced with one of those daft things that only work with an app.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

My first connection with Northumberland came in 1965 when my sister left home to go to teacher's training college at Alnwick Castle. I myself didn't go with her but we took her to King's Cross and put her on the train to begin her adult life. Three years later she qualified and went to work in a local Watford school. Unfortunately she really hated the actual teaching and left after 9 months without gaining her final certification resulting in a career in IT!! However she thoroughly enjoyed her time in Alnwick and Alnmouth where she lived for her last year at college. She used to write to me about the local scene and the escapades she had so the place has happy memories.
BFTW - The Castle in 1984
BFTW - The Castle in 1984
The story of the castle here

I didn't actually get up to Northumberland myself until I started following the RAC Rally when we spent many a night and day in Kielder forest, memories of which are mainly rain and more rain!! :-D
BFTW - Those were the days!
BFTW - Those were the days!
NewcastleFalcon

For a Northumberland song, and I think it has been posted a number of times before but I've gone for the Glaswegian lad with the Northumberland accent and a few nice pictures of the county.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Came across this bit of new information to me on the thread when I was looking at Newhaven and its Ferries. It had its fair share of replacement vessels when the main ones were out of service, and also appeared to be a temporary dumping ground for others. Two of the vessels laid up at Newhaven were Sealink Car Ferries TSS Caledonian Princess and TSS Dover which both ended up as floating nightclubs on the Tyne.

In the heady days of the 80's Newcastle's Michael Quadrini, nightclub entrepreneur acquired both of those former Ferries. Caledonian Princess became Tuxedo Princess with the "boat" opening December 1983, and TSS Dover became Tuxedo Royale.

Tuxedo Princess under the Tyne Bridge, 2006
Bob Castle, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

I am going to allow myself little poetic licence here, Quadrini couldn't get the planning consents from Newcastle City, where he wanted to set it up, so he set it up up on the Gateshead side.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Here's a relatively newly discovered bit of Northumberland, which I probably wouldn't have come across were it not for a bloke from Hertfordshire and his lifelong friend marauding around my patch and clicking the shutter.

Topiary Pig Halton Church

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey