Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by myglaren »

My cousin lives in Heysham, her husband worked on the nuclear power station so they moved there from Whitby.
I visited her a while back, then went to meet a member of another forum in Blackpool.
Was going to spend a day or two in the lakes but it bucketed down so scratched that but did visit the sci-fi looking tower.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

"All in all its just another brick in the wall"

But a Lancashire Brick in a Manchester Wall

Bricks have been manufactured at the Huncoat site near Accrington since 1887. They are made from fire clay and are so strong and durable that they become known in the trade as iron bricks. At one time the works chimney had the letters IRON painted vertically on it with the N at the top, prompting locals to call it the NORI brick factory.

Red Nori bricks were used in the foundations of the Blackpool Tower and the Empire State Building in New York as well as in thousands of houses, factories and schools throughout northern England.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and another random Lancashire connection too is worth a picture. Geograph is a particularly excellent site, and often as well as the picture, a bit of descriptive detail "adds to the picture" as in this example.

The Flodden Window

© Copyright David Dixon and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Flodden got a mention on Selkirkshire's Day in the spotlight, but this is a memorial window many many miles away at Middleton Near Rochdale
The Flodden Window
The Flodden Window is believed to be the oldest war memorial in the UK, if not in the World (LinkExternal link Manchester Evening News).

The window was originally commissioned by Sir Richard Assheton in 1515 to commemorate The Battle of Flodden Field or Branxton Moor which had taken place two years earlier. A company of Middleton archers, led by Sir Richard, achieved notable success in the battle in which James IV's invading army of Scots and French troops was defeated in the largest ever battle between England and Scotland. The Flodden Window depicts in detail seventeen captains of the Middleton Archers, their leader Sir Richard and his wife and the priest Henry Taylor who blessed them before the battle. The window shows each archer wearing a blue court mantle, carrying a bow stave with each archer's name above it; they are all kneeling in prayer before leaving for the battle.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Two quirky little bits of "art"
The Meccano Bridge at Nob End, Little Lever nr Bolton Lancashire
The Meccano Bridge

The Singing Ringing Tree near Burnley
The Singing Ringing Tree above Burnley

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

A Lancashire tenuous link required (I'm off to bed!)

Connect Black Beauty with Lancashire using word association!!

Good luck with that one ! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 22:59 A Lancashire tenuous link required (I'm off to bed!)

Connect Black Beauty with Lancashire using word association!!

Good luck with that one ! :-D
Black Beauty, Red Rum, Aintree would be one sequence of associations.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That is indeed a fully valid answer!! :-D Not the one on the card but I'm happy to declare it if there are no other suggestions? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Another one

Black Beauty, Ginger (A companion of Beauty's at Birtwick Park, a Chestnut), "Ginger" McCain (Red Rum's Trainer), Southport.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nice places to stop off at are particularly nice if they come in the category "Interesting and Free". Add unlikely and surprising to the adjectives and you are on to a winner. :-D

So here's a little place that most M6 travellers through Lancashire will just fly past and never bother stopping off at, other than maybe pulling in at nearby Truckhaven, or Burton in Kendal services in preference...(er...no comparison in my opinion)

Enough of the suspense....It's Carnforth and what has it got.....a very nice Booths Supermarket for lunch, an excellent second-hand bookshop....and a station with an iconic clock, and refereshment room

Carnforth Station Clock - geograph.org.uk - 642321 [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by Stephen McKay, from Wikimedia Commons

Its all nicely interpreted in the free heritage centre in the station buildings on the platform.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 09:19 Another one

Black Beauty, Ginger (A companion of Beauty's at Birtwick Park, a Chestnut), "Ginger" McCain (Red Rum's Trainer), Southport.

Regards Neil
Now that one is even better and probably better than my invention so I'll put it in a spoiler here and move on!!
Spoiler: show
Black Beauty - Black Horse - Sign of the Black Horse - Lloyds Bank - Mr Lloyd - Clive Lloyd - Captain of Lancashire! :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Just a little further up the coast from Liverpool is Crosby with Antony Gormley's installation "Another Place", otherwise known as the iron men or men in the sand.
IMG_20180626_213740718a.jpg
There are 100 of these statues which are cast in the image of the naked body of Antony Gormley himself.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Time to give cricket a mention , very important in Lancashire, and not just first class cricket, you have to say that the Lancashire Leagues had their fair share of Cricket's best ever players turning out as professionals.

From the archives
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 May 2020, 18:32 Lancashire is of course a hotbed of cricket tradition. James mentioned James Anderson who is a Burnley lad, but its fascinating to just have a look at the Lancashire Leagues and the calibre of player they had as professionals

Wiki lists these, its a who's who of great cricketers. I wondered as the afternoon teas and the spares were wolfed down at the Pavillion at Colne, whether any of the "greats" turned out for little Colne CC. Havent dug round to find out yet.
Lancashire League (cricket) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashir ... _(cricket)
The professionals
The existence of the Lancashire League is a testament to local cricketers and their supporters, but the sheer quantity and quality of the professional cricketers that have been drawn to the milltowns of East Lancashire and the surrounding area is astonishing. Players from all over the world have come to live and play in the League including: Dik Abed, Bill Alley, Nyron Asgarali, Nathan Astle, Sydney Barnes, Allan Border, Chris Cairns, Sir Learie Constantine, Kapil Dev, Allan Donald, Bruce Dooland, Roy Gilchrist, Dennis Lillee, Trevor Chappell, Jason Gillespie, Kerry O'Keeffe, Charlie Griffith, Andrew Hall, Wes Hall, Roger Harper, Chris Harris, George Headley, Michael Holding, Murali Kartik, Charlie Llewellyn, Clive Lloyd, Manny Martindale, Cec Pepper, Viv Richards, Andy Roberts, Fred Root, Jacques Rudolph, Peter Sleep, 'Big' Jim Smith, Hugh Tayfield, George Tribe, Lou Vincent, Shane Warne, Chester Watson, Steve Waugh, Bilawal Bhatti, Alviro Petersen, Robin Petersen and Everton Weekes.[1] It is a rule of the competition that each team must have a professional player in their squad. Should the professional be unavailable then a substitute must be found. Teams not playing a pro can be fined.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The mention of Carnforth reminded me of a great day out I had with my cousin back in 1979. We caught a special steam hauled train from Watford Junction and attended the 150th Anniversary Celebration of the 1829 Rainhill Trials. My pictures are among the missing set of slides which left me after my divorce so I'll have to settle for a link and stock picture! :-D
BFTW
BFTW
The very comprehensive story is here
NewcastleFalcon

The East Lancashire Railway gets its fair shared of shutter clicks, including those freely available for reuse on Geograph, but this image is one of the most memorable I have come across but its click the link to view.
A rather nice picture with the following description. "Laying a Smokescreen" is a nice way of putting it. The caption reads...
http://www.hondawanderer.com/55015_5500 ... s_1997.htm

The first ever Deltic triple header on 9 March 1997 lays a smokescreen across Burrs on the East Lancashire Railway as all three locos open up by arrangement creating this spectacular effect. 55015 Tulyar, 55002 Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry & D9019 Royal Highland Fusilier were working the 10:00 Bury to Rawtenstall as part of the Deltic Preservation Society's 'Three Deltics' weekend. Even though it looks like the first two locos are only working on one engine, there is still 6,600 hp available for this seven coach train, which is certainly adequate!
The Golden Arrow may yet get a mention on Kent's Day in the Spotlight when it comes, Here's City of Wells sporting the Golden Arrow insignia on the East Lancs. There is a little collection of Other East Lancs images here

https://www.geograph.org.uk/snippet/11465

34092 City of Wells at Castlecroft

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Vehicle registration area codes, there are loads of them so I have cut the selection to the Area Code's used pre-1974 for Lancashire only.

The big cities Manchester and Liverpool have loads of their own, if you want to select a pre-74 Area code have a look at the list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... ed_Kingdom

Manchester's in part were N, and NA to NF, Liverpool's were K, and KA to KF ( but excluding KE which was Kent) but there are loads more.

Just need a nice example, so selected at random I am going to look for TC

Wonder if Tommy Cooper had TC1 :?:
Lancashire Vehicle Registration Area Codes<br />and Blackpool Tower
Lancashire Vehicle Registration Area Codes
and Blackpool Tower

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey