Smart Electricity Meters

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Smart Electricity Meters

Post by admiral51 »

Well what can i say #-o #-o

Last Wednesday i had a pre payment electric smart meter fitted as trying to be good and energy costs are rising i thought it was a good idea and whilst PAYG is more expensive i dont have to worry about my DD being upped by 50-70% a month :-D
So old meter taken out, a key payment meter, and the new super doopper smart meter installed and the balance from the old put onto the new one and a nice shiny in house monitor to see usage and 1 nice new smart card to top up in shops if online/app is not working, all good so far.
So yesterday i thought about topping up online, system down, tried the app, system down we will get it sorted soon we are aware of the problem :o
So today i tried again online/app system still down so no worries i will go to the shop and top up there. No that didnt work network error contact your supplier 8-[
So a web chat when i got home went pretty much like this once email/address details confirmed.
Me: I cannot top up my smart meter online/app or in a shop it says network error
Them: You do not have a smart meter you have a key meter
Me: No i have a smart meter my smart card number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Them : Are you sure there is not a slot for the key on the meter?
Me: No i have a smart meter and a smart card
Them : Are you sure ?
Me : Yes it was exchanged Wednesday 1st of June i have an in home usage monitor, never had that with the old meter.
Them : Can you give me the serial number of the meter, it starts with an F
Me: No number with an F but in home monitor connected to meter gives S/N as xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Them: Not the S/N of the monitor the S/N of the meter
Me: The meter has a bar code that starts BGSM that means British Gas Smart Meter, the serial number given from the in home monitor matches the number on the meter but does not begin with an F
Them: So you cannot top up your meter?
Me : No if i could we would probably not be having this chat, can you help me top my meter up ?
Them: You don't have a smart meter at your property it is a key type according to our records
Me: Well i have the engineers name/employee number/work order stating it was exchanged on Wednesday 1st of June, what happens if i run out of electric.
Them: I have escalated this to our team to investigate and you will receive an email update within 5-9 hours, rest assured they are aware of your situation and you will not run out of supply.

Well you try your best to do the right thing and get left in limbo, they sent me the smart card, it even lets me go online and accept i have the smart card and sent me letters to tell me how to top up, yet they don't accept i have a smart meter #-o #-o #-o

Yes this is the shortened version of a 52 minute web chat and i held my cool and didn't say why would i have an in home smart monitor connected to a meter if it was not a smart meter =D>
Rant over, guess/hope it will be sorted but FFS :rofl2:

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Smart Electricity Meters

Post by myglaren »

Sounds like a pain in the proverbial.
I'm hanging on to my stupid meters as long as I can.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got smart meters om both gas and electric, not had a problem with them but I'm on direct debits for both so don't have the op's problem, they just work.
Attachments
smart.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My youngest son bought an ex-rental house that had stood empty for a year.
It has smart meters. Except the gas one doesn't communicate and is near impossible to get a reading from it.
He has been there three years and they still haven't fixed it.

My youngest daughter bought a house five years ago. They came to fit smart meters and failed. The gas pipes and electrical cables and main fuse were too close together.
She has had new meters fitted but then they never came to fit the smart meters, despite promising several times to do do.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Well some kind of result after another 3 hrs of being fobbed off i got an engineer to visit even if his job sheet said first time smart meter fitting lol
They seemed quite surprised when he rang in to say there was one already fitted did he need to change it.
They manually topped up my meter and i have to wait 2 days to make sure systems are talking to each as they should.
Bad news is i am now in debt for the top up and i bet a £ to a penny i will pay interest on it.