Another first time DS5 owner

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Another first time DS5 owner

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

Really liking this car. The brief from her was something with four wheels that was cheap to run, that was it. So it had to be pre-2017 to get the Β£30 road tax. That was about all that was required, but I somehow ended up buying this beast. 180BHP but 50-55mpg real world and Β£30 road tax. So bonkers but still makes sense. Ultimately its oily bits are very similar to many other PSA cars so hopefully maintenance bills aren't going to be too terrible.

It was a bit of a gem find. It's the Prestige and almost every option has been ticked. It has... black metallic paint, watchstrap leather with DS embossing, head-up display, Denon stereo upgrade, electric comfort pack and 19" wheels with sports suspension. I priced it up, it would have been Β£39k when new but I don't think anyone paid this. Its first service was at the PSA training centre in Coventry, so I'm assuming it was a PSA show or company car.

She eventually overcame her fear of driving it (previous car was 60BHP!). Her complaints so far are that the visibility out of the back is rubbish (I agree and expected it), and that she felt like she should be dressed smarter when getting out of it as it's so flashy looking.

Some pictures after an appointment with a bucket of shampoo and Auto Glym leather cleaner and care balm among other products...
IMG_20220601_101647.jpg
IMG_20220601_101657.jpg
IMG_20220601_101714.jpg
IMG_20220601_101737.jpg
IMG_20220601_101756.jpg
IMG_20220601_101852.jpg
IMG_20220601_101913.jpg
IMG_20220601_102025.jpg
IMG_20220601_102053.jpg
IMG_20220601_102133.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Another first time DS5 owner

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very nice, I hope you enjoy it and thanks for sharing your pictures. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Cupra to DS5
My Cars: Citroen DS5 Sport
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Love the watch strap leather!
Great looking car, my alloys have been refurbed in full black whch compliments the metallic white of it perfectly πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks, I like the watch strap too, it's a bit bonkers and actually looks quite uncomfy, like it's going to feel like sitting on lego bricks. In reality of course it's all soft and nice, although the vac did find a good few bits within all those folds and seams.

My wheels are original but approaching due for a refurb. The back ones have a good few scuffs on their face. I was wondering about going all-black, as I guess it's going to save a few quid plus at least then there's a thick lacquer all over.

I just know that the moment I refurb them they'll get bounced over a kerb corner on a turn. It has quite a long wheelbase, equal to my Berlingo van in fact, so the back end does cut corners a lot more than the supermini we had before. That would explain why the back ones are the ones that were already scuffed when I bought it.

I might look at what touch-up options are available instead of a full refurb. Perhaps a bit of a DIY rub-down and some spray lacquer, I don't know.
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

I really like them in all black, was given the option of original or all black and thought I'd go for something different to standard and glad I did.

Totally agree with the scuffability of them as I have unfortunately slightly caught them a couple of times. Emergency nail polish to help cover it up!
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Mine has the correct tyres as were fitted when new. But when I saw it I thought someone had fitted tyres that are too narrow, they look like the "stretched" narrow tyres that the baseball cap brigade were fitting as some kind of weird fashion a few years ago. The result is that the wheels are very much proud of the tyres so are vulnerable to scrapes, even with tyres that have rim protection.

On my other cars the tyre has always stuck out beyond the wheel, definitely not with these, see photo...
5ad956dfaa4246529f5da590300ff976.jpg
My guess is that they decided on mega wheels to make them look good then put on narrower tyres to reduce the rolling resistances and therefore CO2 rating, which it will do.

I might consider some of those alloygators or similar. Not really keen on them though, plus they probably trap water and make any corrosion much worse.
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Yep, definitely wheel first then tyre on these!
I've taken to parking like I can't park.... πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ
All black definitely suits the white I think πŸ‘πŸ»
Attachments
IMG_20220129_132551.jpg
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

I agree, definitely looks good with the white as it fits in with the black windows.

I think mine would be too black though, it needs the few silver bits it has to prevent it completely vanishing.

They're great cars, very happy to have discovered these little known beasts. People seem to say it looks nice, closely followed by "what is it?". I actually saw a pedestrian staring at it the other day as I drove past, have never had that happen in my Berlingo! I don't think many were registered, but there are quite a few for sale. I don't think anyone knows what they are, my bet is that most dealer sales of DS5s result from someone turning up to look at something else then seeing it.

I bought mine as a private sale from Nothern Ireland, it was a 3-day trip to collect it. This is what happens when you select "National" as the maximum distance on Auto Trader! I did pay a mechanic to inspect it before I travelled.

I've seen two "cues" in the styling since I bought it. The chrome hockey sticks up the bonnet resemble the bonnet line of the original DS...

...and the kink in the bottom of the window line behind the back doors is from the fabulous XM...

All just my interpretations!
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Totally agree with the styling comparisons πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» they definitely hark back to those ones!

Yep I think yours needs something to differentiate the different bits otherwise you're in total stealth mode! πŸ˜‚

I hadn't seen hardly any and just stumbled across these whilst searching for something a little different to the norm. It's nice to be different

Luckily I found this one in Derbyshire and I'm Leicestershire, when I was viewing it 3 others rang to say they wanted to come and look that day so I'm glad I spotted it πŸ‘πŸ»

I still walk away but take a few glances back! I think it's an amazing looking car and if it was on private plates you'd never know it was almost ten years old, the styling is standing the test of time!
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

I agree, it still looks like it's come straight from a motor show.

I found them because I'm really happy with my Berlingo I've had since new for almost 8 years. So I used Wikipedia to see what cars were available with the same platform. The 308 was ruled out as my legs don't fit under the steering wheel, never found a C4 but by then the DS5 had become the obvious choice. I was aiming for the same 1.6 D engine and robotic gearbox as tyhe Berlingo, which are available in the DS5, but then saw that the 2.0 (surprisingly) also has Β£30/year road tax and costs little to nothing extra when buying used, plus has similar mpg figures. It's capable of 50-55mpg, but definitely also capable of less if you have too much of the fun it offers.

Used values are similar to cars that cost around half of the DS5's new price, they're an absolute bargain for what they are. They probably weren't comparable with other luxury cars that they were competing against, hence the low sales, but as a used car at Ford Focus prices they make much more sense. I saw Fiestas of similar age and mileage at around the same price I paid.
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Well tanks for the photo of your white DS5 with your black wheels,I have the same car and after having the wheels refurbished 3 years ago,the salt has got under the laquar,plus a careless tyre fitter,and a couple of parking marks I thinkI will follow your lead and get them done black,I have the chain seats but my car has the two toned leather black and white,I would point out to all owners of a 2.0 litre car with the Aisin 6 speed box ,to get the ATF changed,I had my one done at 43 thousand and it badly needed changing,I now sense that at 67 thousand it needs doing again,not expensive and any decent garage or if you can lift the car up level all round you can easily do it yourself,I thnk ther is a how to on here somewhere,the basics are you buy say 10 litres of the special ATF and then drain 3 litres at a time refilling it as you go, runnng the car inbetween to circulate the ATF,do that 3 times and you have nearly clean ATF in your box
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don't forget you MUST reset the oil counter using the diagnostic kit each time you partially replace the oil.

Elis put a comprehensive illustrated guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58134&start=45#p543115
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc