Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 12:53 From about 16 minutes in Michel Portillo does Stonehaven on his great coastal railway Journey's Season 1 episode 4.

Available currently on I-Player here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... stonehaven

And what does he pick out, an award winning chip shop. 31st of the Lonely Planet top 500 places to eat in the world :!: . The secret...fresh fish and cold batter :-D

http://thebayfishandchips.co.uk/menu/

Regards Neil
The Stonehaven Fire Balls are a similar and smaller version of Up Helly Aa Fire Festival where the Fire Balls are thrown into the Harbour shown here. The parade starts in the town and progresses with the attendees swinging the the Fire Balls around above their heads on long tethers for about 20 mins until they go down to the Harbour where they hurl them into the basin, exhausted by their strenuous efforts to maintain the swinging all the way along the route.
stonehaven-1.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Get your contributions in a day-ish in the spotlight doesn't last long :-D

The call for music in Montgomeryshire elicited a very poor response. Dont leave it to me to select something for Kincardineshire, because as Fleetwood Mac said in Oh Well...."I might not give the answer that you want me too!"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This is one for the readers...proper book-ette online all about Kincardineshire written 1921.
https://www.electricscotland.com/histor ... rdinshire/

Also elicits the word of the day from chapter 8 The Coast which is the best chapter to give a scan to.
https://www.electricscotland.com/histor ... pter08.htm
Peregrination
You will have heard of the Peregrine Falcon, but what does our word of the day mean without looking it up :?: :-D
The coast chapter takes to Findon and Finnan Haddock, Nigg Bay, Muchalls, the Old Man of Muchalls, The “Fisher’s Shore,” the “Grim Brigs” with its wonderful arches of Nature’s own devising, and the “Scart’s Crag. The little fishing village of Cowie nestles below the cliffs, while above, skirting the shore, is the Stonehaven Golf Course, from which splendid views can be had of sea and shore, Dunottar Castle ( M Portillo visited that in the prog previously mentioned) has a particularly impressive setting.

The panorama formed by cliffs and bay is magnificent—the former almost 170 ft. high with cathedral-like arches, the latter with gloomy creeks and caverns. The very names, as “Brun Cheek,” “Maiden Ivaim,” “Long Gallery,” “Wine Cove,” testify to Nature’s handiwork and skill. South of Trelung Ness we reach the highest of the rocks, the cliffs of Fowlsheugh, the noted nursery for sea birds, extending over a mile.

Todhead lighthouse stands on a prominent headland at the southern extremity of Braidon Bay, a little beyond the old fashioned fishing village of Catterline. Craig David, a few miles further south, overlooking Bervie Bay, marks the terminus of the high cliffs which form the natural’wall of protection to most of the Kincardineshire coast.

From this point onwards the configuration of the coast-line is entirely different. The beach is now low, pebble-strewn, and gravelly, with low, shelving rocks jutting out to the sea. Gourdon—dominated by Gourdon Hill, a noted landmark for seamen—and Johnshaven have both small harbours, their appearance from above being quaint and picturesque. A little further south is the hamlet of Milton of Mathers. Rounding a bend in the coast we pass the Ivaim of Mathers, and reach St Cyrus braes, varying in height from 50 to 300 ft. On the summit stands conspicuous the parish church with its lofty spire. Passing over a flat beach of fine sand bound together by sea grasses and other marine plants, we end our perambulation of the coast at the mouth of the North Esk.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Jun 2022, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Continuing my irregular and unpredictable theme of strange Scottish place names, I give you.....
Blowup nose - OS maps
Blowup nose - OS maps
:)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Seeing as Finnan Haddock got a mention in that 1921 Kincardineshire account I referred to above, My musical contribution is this jolly little song "Finnan Haddie"....not bad at all

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Catterline village was host to Gravity Racing until a storm in 2012 wiped out the hill down to the harbour. The son of a friend of mine has given up mountain biking in favour of gravity bikes - loves it!
Opera Snapshot_2022-06-06_084519_www.google.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2022-06-06_084428_www.google.com.png
While the second picture is more Red Bull Racing - ish, take a look at the sophistication of the gravity carts in the first.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

You would be amazed how many people turn up here and ask where the monkeys are!
Opera Snapshot_2022-06-06_090752_www.google.com.png
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

James Leslie Mitchell, better known as Lewis Grassic Gibbon, was the writer of Sunset Song among other books about the "Howe" and the vistor centre still gets asked occasionally where the monkeys are.

Opera Snapshot_2022-06-06_091320_www.google.com.png
NewcastleFalcon

Dunnottar Castle is quite a thing, dramatic situation
Geograph stamped image
Geograph stamped image
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Mel Gibson and his crew filmed here and famously enjoyed Deep Fried Mars Bars from another chip shop in Stonehaven which I personally rate as better than the one Michael Portillo visited.

As Dunnottar Castle is a ruined shell, Mel Gibson's Hamlet was also filmed at other castle's and in Shepperton Studios to give the impression of one huge atmospheric castle. Mel Gibson was rated as very down to earth and approachable by the locals and extras alike.
NewcastleFalcon

Here endeth Kincardineshire's day in the spotlight
__________Kincardineshire Done__________

To be completed...

28 await the random number generator to select them for their day-ish in the Spotlight.
countiesleft.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hampshire Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Random Selection
New County
Hampshire

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Hampshire Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

New County
Hampshire

For avoidance of doubt, the Isle of Wight will be part of our postings for Hampshire's day in the spotlight, as will Bournemouth and Christchurch. We are working from this interactive map on wikishire to cover all 92 traditional counties of the United Kingdom.
Cities
Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester

Other larger towns
Aldershot, Andover, Basingstoke, Bournemouth, Carisbrooke
Christchurch, Cowes, Eastleigh, Farnborough, Fareham
Gosport, Havant, Newport, Ryde, Waterlooville

Spent a few holidays in and around Bournemouth and the New Forest. So foot and wheels set in the County.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Our Pre-74 vehicle registration area codes for Hampshire just about start at the very beginning with

AA

but also include
CG HO OR OT OU

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Word association
Hampshire....

Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge