Diagnostic Support for DS-brand DS5?

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Diagnostic Support for DS-brand DS5?

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

I'm looking to buy diagnostic hardware/software to support my 2016 "DS" DS5 and 2014 Citroen Berlingo.

My DS5's a 2016 post-pacelift one, where they stopped putting Citroen badges on it. I'm aware they're basically the same thing, but I know there were quite a few changes - e.g. touchscreen stereo/nav system instead of hand-controller for one, probably among others.

I've seen software screenshots that show lists of "Peugeot" and "Citroen" models that include the Citroen DS5. Does this include support for mine, or does later software include a "DS" section, presumably also a "Vauxhall/Opel" section?

Thanks.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Diagnostic Support for DS-brand DS5?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Easy Diagnostics do a Lexia clone that will handle the PSA range, including the DS. They often sell out, which could be a good indicator of the quality of their equipment. However, you may need a S1279 module for the Berlingo;

https://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/produ ... t-vehicles
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks for that, their lists include the DS5 as being a "Citroen". It was once a Citroen. Mine's the facelift one that's supposedly not a "Citroen" - I know we all know it is really, but they've made this rebrand thing a bit complicated at times.

Just wanting to check that they haven't ended support when the brand was divided up, or split it into a separate version/variant of the software?

They don't seem to indicate support for any of the more recent DS-only models. I guess that the list was current at the time it was written.

I'm expecting that the answer is that it's all fine, just wanting to check before splashing the cash on a load of stuff.

Thanks.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, they do say it is from 2021, so it should work.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't need an S1279 module for a Berlingo.

For a 2016 model you may need the later version of software (Diagbox 9.**) though.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks very much for all the info everyone. I'm pretty comfortable with tech and computers etc but am still finding this whole new world quite baffling, e.g. "Lexia" or "Diagbox"? I understand from a google that I need Full-chip with gold bits or something, not the Lite version, version 9.something! I'll order something and see what turns up, hopefully it will just work.

I'll probably end up paying the equivalent of a couple of hours of main dealer time to empower myself for ever. Both of the fleet of two will need their Eolys winebox bag changing soon, I think it's needed for this so I should get my investment back pretty quickly.

I have a desktop PC, have never needed a laptop as I use my phone if I need anything on the go. But I've ordered a tatty laptop for a grand total of £60 on ebay, it hopefully just qualifies as being capable, being an i3 6th Gen with all of the Virtualization options. Only has 4GB of RAM but hopefully this will be adequate, if not I'll upgrade it. It will sit in a box with the connectors, quite nice to have a rubbish PC that I'm not bothered about getting oily fingerprints on.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

DiagBox is, as I understand it, the later software package. However, the Lexia and PlanetPeugeot software are also supplied, and if you select a vehicle that is pre DiagBox it should call up the relevant older package.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Marvellous. I've ordered a Lexia 3 Diagbox 9.91 full chip no clip golden edges full set, whatever that is!

I understand the "clip" option is a pair of croccy clips for the power and is only needed for older cars. Mine are 2014 and 2016, and the clips don't look detachable so may be a hazard dangling about live, so I've saved £2 by doing without them.

I don't think I got the "LED" version, I understand this just has a white LED on it to help you find the socket. Not a bad gimmick, but not worried about it.

I've seen screenshots of the software showing pages for Citroen, Peugeot, DS and Vauxhall/Opel. I think it may even have a DS logo on the sticker! All genuine of course.

I've seen a warning about not going online with it or it won't work ever again. Are Stellantis intentionally remotely bricking any that are connected to them?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

NotAnInterestingName wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 20:20 Thanks very much for all the info everyone. I'm pretty comfortable with tech and computers etc but am still finding this whole new world quite baffling, e.g. "Lexia" or "Diagbox"? I understand from a google that I need Full-chip with gold bits or something, not the Lite version, version 9.something! I'll order something and see what turns up, hopefully it will just work.

I'll probably end up paying the equivalent of a couple of hours of main dealer time to empower myself for ever. Both of the fleet of two will need their Eolys winebox bag changing soon, I think it's needed for this so I should get my investment back pretty quickly.

I have a desktop PC, have never needed a laptop as I use my phone if I need anything on the go. But I've ordered a tatty laptop for a grand total of £60 on ebay, it hopefully just qualifies as being capable, being an i3 6th Gen with all of the Virtualization options. Only has 4GB of RAM but hopefully this will be adequate, if not I'll upgrade it. It will sit in a box with the connectors, quite nice to have a rubbish PC that I'm not bothered about getting oily fingerprints on.
'Lexia', ' Peugeot Planet 2000' & 'Diagbox' are the names of the software.

The hardware is called the VCI (Vehicle Communications Interface). It is the VCI you initially need to be concerned with. It's not about having gold bits on the board, but more like the correct microchips, optocouplers and other components like specific resistors. The cheaper, 'lighter' versions are cheaper for a reason, they have missing components that are required for later more advanced CAN BUS multiplexed vehicles. So the cheaper ones are ok for older cars but anything fully multiplexed really needs a full-chip kit. These generally tend to be around the £100 mark.

Although we are not affiliated, there is a discount available for members from a UK based supplier:

viewtopic.php?t=601120

Marc
Crystalyne
My Cars: 2015 DS DS5 Hybrid4x4

Post by Crystalyne »

FWIW, you can use an OBDLink MX adapter and an app called FAP (full version on the Amazon Appstore, demo on Google Play) to read and clear codes. Can also see realtime info, which is pretty cool!

No coding support though, but it gets the job done as a scantool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FAP-Citroen-Pe ... B01LJUI2TA
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_GB&gl=US
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks, I was looking for a basic Android app but couldn't find anything. That would be useful, I already have some kind of cheapie bluetooth OBD dongle that I used to use with a Fiat, will have a play with it.

Meanwhile, the supertastic VCI thing has arrived from China extremely quickly. I ordered from AliExpress in the end, tempted by their prices. It made me laugh upon looking at it, the unit just has one plain "Made in China" sticker on it when it arrives. But in the wallet with one of the software CDs there's a full set of stickers including one with Citroen/Peugeot/DS logos and another that says "Made in France". So they send a clone but give you the option of turning it into a fake! Also I remember Verbatim brand CDs. These are Nerbatim.

All will be installed on my £60 used laptop bought specially for the job from ebay - a bare minimum spec machine - i3 6th Gen (so fully supports virtualisation), now upgraded to 8GB RAM which seems to be the recommended minimum. I've installed Win 11, which may have been a bad move, I'll find out when I get going. Hopefully the whole virtualisation thing makes the choice of OS fairly irrelevant.

But the total spend is probably around an hour or two of charged main dealer technician time, so it should be a good long-term investment. Power to the people!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I hope you ended up with a decent full chip kit. You may find it’s not the full ticket. The giveaway will be if it fails to communicate with some of the ECUs on the vehicle, one in particular being the ESO ECU.

You will find that all the kit available to purchase online will be clones as Actia generally only supply these to the Car Manufacturers and these are leased to the dealership, which cost a lot of money and that in turn is also why main dealers have higher service costs because of all the proper equipment costs and training.

Having said that, there are of course cheap clones and decent clones.....

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

I saw a place selling the genuine thing for £2000-odd +VAT, possibly plus software costs too. The cost of the clones proves that this sort of price is not justified, as I'd assume that they're basically a copy of whatever components PSA chose to make theirs from. The Chinese makers of the clones must be making a profit even at their prices or they wouldn't bother doing it.

I had a look inside, it has the 7 optocouplers and 12 relays as shown in the listing. Fully populated and has the chips shown, including Samsung and National ones. I guess you can be lucky or unlucky but hopefully it's OK. AliExpress has a feedback system like ebay, and this seller has lots of happy customers. If not I'll send it back. Currently awaiting a new laptop DVD drive before I start tinkering.

Mine's made by Actia, I know because it says so on the label (that I stuck on) ;-)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The genuine article would have been a garage PSA approved unit. The clone units come in a number of guises, and the cheapest ones have some components 'missing', which means that certain cars are not supported. The equipment from Easy Diagnostics has a full 'chipset' and was from 2021, so should manage all vehicles up to that date (although for vans you would also need the S1279 module).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+