Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by Dormouse »

My daughter was married in the St Palladius Church and Laurencekirk was home to one of the very first ever cars built - possibly two! Benholm has a working restored Mill. St Cyrus beach is typical of the bays that crop up along the rocky coastline and is a gem. Montrose has a very interesting link to early military aviation. The Victorian Arches in the towns and villages are just the tip of many interesting things - Neolithic burial cairns, craft beers and spirits, Highland Games. You name it, it is there somewhere, touristy stuff, quirky stuff and the simple relaxation and space stuff. No great distances to travel around either. It is just the getting there. The Fire Ball ceremony in Stonehaven is well worth the visit at New Year.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have set foot and wheels in Kincardineshire, on a drive up to Aberdeen for a holiday, and once specifically to go to Johnshaven, with the other stopping off point being Laurencekirk.

Wikishire's page on Kincardineshire is here, Wikishire covers the 92 historic counties we are using for the purposes of this thread so it does give the likes of Kincardineshire its day-ish in the spotlight.
When I saw Fettercairn mentioned...I thought that's been mentioned on the FCF before, and indeed it has.

Amongst other things
Dormouse wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 13:48 On the same (windy) day out we went over the Cairn O' Mount to Banchory and then along the South Deeside road on to Auchenblae. Here are a flavour of the "high" spots.
I sneaked an electric car in!
This beautiful church is in Drumtochty Glen.
This is the real top of the Cairn not the car park viewpoint.
and the subsequent Pickled Egg Quiz Question
Dormouse wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 09:45 Now, time to add another Question. The first picture in the trio above was taken in a Village but what link does it have to a) Queen Victoria and b) a Prime Minister.
Two answers please.

and yours truly came up with the answer here
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p699880

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

We only have one Vehicle Registration Area code for KIncardineshire, so task is as well as finding one, find an interesting image.

The area code 1903 to 1974 is

SU.

odhu ntinggo

as Big Chief I-spy used to say in secret code :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I take it we can't get away with a special SU Car buretta? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 09:57 I take it we can't get away with a special SU Car buretta? :-D
If it's one of those bonnet up shots at a car show, and an SU area code numberplate is in shot as well as a SU Carburettor or two , that would be perfectly acceptable :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Have to say that a search on Flickr has revealed quite a gallery of Kincardineshire SU registration vehicles. Quite a few Austin Healeys and MG's, but the one I am picking out is this Lincoln Elk, as maybe the oldest Kincardineshire registration in the set

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There used to be a high security Elephant's Cage at Edzell :-D

Image taken from "My Tour of Duty at RAF Edzell" at https://www.qsl.net/w3df/edzell/edzell.html

"RAF Edzell was home to the US Naval Security Group Oceanographic Monitoring Station which monitored the North Sea and Britain coast line and the European continent listening for radio transmissions from the Soviet Union and it's allies. RAF Edzell was part of a network of sixteen high frequency direction finder (HFDF) facilities located around the world that monitored the electromagnetic spectrum from 2 to 32 MegaHertz.

The base was situated on 440 acres with a lake (Loch Wee) and two 5000 foot runways. To the southeast was the World War II airfield, athletic fields, and the communications building located in the center of the airfield. The communications building had two levels below ground that housed a computer and communications center and was surrounded by a Wullenweber antenna array which was called the “elephant cage." "
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The SU plate clearly has had some royal connections but interesting to note where 1 SU went! :-D
P6050002.JPG
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A picture of the last car in my list: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

The Housing development at Edzell Woods and the former RAF/US Navy base Edzell are in the historic County of Kincardineshire on the North Side of the North Esk. The Village of Edzell with its arch is in the Historic County of Angus.

Plenty of youtube footage of moochings of various quality in and around the military base to be found.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edzell#U. ... %5Bedit%5D
"One product of the U.S. Navy presence at Edzell was the creation of a registered tartan for the U.S. Navy cryptologists of the Navy Security Group Activity (NSGA) at Edzell. The tartan design was created at by Strathmore Woolen Company at the request of Mrs. Janet Demech (wife of Edzell's commander, Captain Fred R. Demech, USN), with input from Mrs. Demesh and Mrs. Pam Schaffer. The tartan was unveiled on 6 July 1985, the 25th anniversary of the U.S. Navy presence at Edzell."
You will see the US Navy (Edzell) Tartan being worn here a July 4th Event in 1991 at the base.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

From about 16 minutes in Michel Portillo does Stonehaven on his great coastal railway Journey's Season 1 episode 4.

Available currently on I-Player here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... stonehaven
temp2.jpg
And what does he pick out, an award winning chip shop. 31st of the Lonely Planet top 500 places to eat in the world :!: . The secret...fresh fish and cold batter :-D

http://thebayfishandchips.co.uk/menu/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

"On 17th May, 1942, to improve the distress coverage of the North Sea, a wartime station was opened about two miles south of Stonehaven, Kincardineshire. Situated 300 feet above sea level and immediately above the ruins of Dunnotar Castle, this station of temporary wooden huts, all carefully lashed down to withstand the N.E. gales of the Scottish winters, played its part throughout the war and continued to do so in the post war years. The continual growth of commercial traffic then made it apparent that a larger, modern station was required and the present building was completed and opened in January, 1958."

"At the end of service, the station also controlled the following Coastal Stations: Wick Radio, Lands End Radio, Portpatrick Radio & Humber Radio. Stonehaven Radio was run by BT, separate from the Coastguard."

More info: https://www.thebellman.co.uk/2019/02/18 ... ven-radio/
NewcastleFalcon

Brewery of the Day
Six° North
https://www.sixdnorth.co.uk/home

Pub of the Day

And should you wish to "have a random can" here are some stockists. St Albans Beer Shop, and Coppers at Gosforth Newcastle amongst them :-D

https://www.sixdnorth.co.uk/stockists

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)

Kincardineshire's Original
Craig David

© Copyright Anne Burgess and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 13:57 Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)

Kincardineshire's Original
Craig David

© Copyright Anne Burgess and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Regards Neil
Strangley enough, I've actually been there ! :)