First day thread

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: First day thread

Post by mickthemaverick »

That didn't do it for me either Steve I'm afraid. We'll just have to accept that I have turned into a musical heathen!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You can't please all the people all the time Mick.
I am of course very biased here.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Good job the either of the two appearances in that chart for London Grammar weren't put up MIck. They have featured on the PE Jukebox with one of the tracks before. Much more of an acquired taste.
from wiki
Musical style
London Grammar's music has been described as "a blend of ambient, ethereal and classical sounds" with melancholy guitar, soaring vocals, and plaintive lyrics. Hannah Reid's powerful, brooding vocals, prominent on all of London Grammar's tracks released to date, are often compared to those of Judie Tzuke and Florence Welch.
just for the record its here, but I would expect a 0/10 rating from your good self :-D
viewtopic.php?p=529533&hilit=grammar#p529533

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 14:51 Good job the either of the two appearances in that chart for London Grammar weren't put up MIck. They have featured on the PE Jukebox with one of the tracks before. Much more of an acquired taste.

just for the record its here, but I would expect a 0/10 rating from your good self :-D
viewtopic.php?p=529533&hilit=grammar#p529533

Regards Neil
You're not wrong Neil!! I might allow some credit for her voice control but a shame she hasn't put it to better use!! A handy track for playing in the garden though, as a pigeon scarer!! :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have tried to like them and did find one song liked but forget what it was now.
Same with Wolf Alice, I would like to like them, just for Elle Rowsell, but always disappointed.
NewcastleFalcon

Nothing to do with the chart for 1st April, but on April 1st 2022 I have been revisiting this. Remember the girl from Ipanema.....here's Astrud giving the Francis Lai classic from Une Homme et Une femme a decent outing.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As the day has gone on, my pictures of rabbits have got better...
A young rabbit in amongst the poison ivy!
A young rabbit in amongst the poison ivy!
and a reasonable effort at a swan with two necks
The Swan with Two Necks
The Swan with Two Necks
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Plenty for folk to contribute to but I like to keep calendar turning day on the first day of the month going with original images taken today, so if you have anything to add please do.
calendars turning
calendars turning
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Seeing as I had my stamp album out, I selected a random page with the random.org tool....page number 98 and luckily a page which had stamps on it.
Not getting much through the letterbox <br />from any of those Countries I think<br />they would have come from Woolworths!
Not getting much through the letterbox
from any of those Countries I think
they would have come from Woolworths!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I like to drop the odd picture in here to mark the start of a new month with the odd original picture taken on the first day.

So June 1st 2022 first shutter click specifically for this thread is a pile of bricks recycled by me (with consent of course) from a local builders waste pile before it gets transported away. I reckon I need about 24 more to complete a top for a garden wall. They are quite a classy brick when you can be bothered to chisel off the mortar, which of course is a waste of time for a proper builder :-D
June 1st 2022
June 1st 2022
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

More to add to the named bricks collection from Spittal Beach collected and photographed 1st June 2022.

S.M.C. Scremerston Colliery nr Berwick-upon-Tweed, was acquired by the Hartley Main Colliery group in the mid-1930's and a new brickworks established alongside the original brick and tileworks, which had previously stood derelict for a number or years. Short-lived, the brickworks and colliery closed in 1944, but during this period its production was marked S.M.C.; Scremerston Main Colliery, and used extensively within the local Berwick area.

Bearpark County Durham Colliery close to Durham City in the Browney Valley

Scotia
Scotia & Sneyd Green Brick & Marl Co Ltd, Scotia Bank, Tunstall, close to the site of the old Scotia Colliery. This company is listed in the 1907 trade directory. Presumably refers to the area of Sunderland near Ryhope. A well travelled brick the SCOTIA, one was found at Plantation House Suriname

https://www.brocross.com/Bricks/Penmorfa/index.htm
bricks of the day 1st June 2022
bricks of the day 1st June 2022
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

As a first day I thought I'd try out the camera with a simple test of the zoom. I was quite impressed, the two pictures are taken from the same camera position from no zoom to full zoom!! :-D
The normal view
The normal view
The zoomed view!
The zoomed view!
NewcastleFalcon

Checked out what was happening at the Union Chain Bridge, the worlds oldest vehicle carrying suspension bridge.

It really is a colossal waste of money from a modern transport infrastructure point of view and that's from someone who regards the bridge as an iconic crossing of the Tweed, and ranks second only to Carter Bar as the best border crossing. Alternative crossings are available and no-one but odd tourist, and cyclists and walkers use it. It connects sparsely populated farmland and country estates on one side with the same on the other.

Its a nice artistic and engineering installation but if such bridges had to to break even with revenues generated by users of the bridge, it would never be renovated and maintained.

This is what it looks like now
Still a connection between England and Scotland for the acrobatic.,<br />Quite a photographic achievement zoom in and there's my makeshift &quot;spear&quot; just about to enter the water in pre-splash stage
Still a connection between England and Scotland for the acrobatic.,
Quite a photographic achievement zoom in and there's my makeshift "spear" just about to enter the water in pre-splash stage
and a bit of artwork on display at the Chainbridge honey farm of how it was.
DSC01751.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

First day/ First things

Never stopped to photograph Twizel Bridge. Biggest single arch span once upon a time for 3 centuries. As with many things in that area of North Northumberland, a Flodden connection. It was built in 1511 across the River Till and by 1513 was used to good effect by the Thomas Earl of Surrey who marched northwards to outflank the Scottish forces of King James IV, crossing at Twizel Bridge. The move resulted in the Scottish Forces abandoning their position of strength on Flodden Hill, and played a major part in how the battle unfolded.
Twizel Bridge North Northumberland 1st June 2022
Twizel Bridge North Northumberland 1st June 2022
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This should come in handy for one of the Counties in the Spotlight not yet selected
DSC01749.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey