DS5 Engine won't start after idiot (me) mucking with electrics

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

DS5 Engine won't start after idiot (me) mucking with electrics

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

Arrrggggh. I generally like to push my limits but I may have got out of depth on this one...

I decided to fit my hardwired dash cam. Here's what I've done, which may be good but is probably terrible...

I connected a piggy back connector in F14, Rear 12V Socket, original fuse back in, new 3A one for the cam.
I also needed a permanent live for the parking guard. The only one I could find was F8, the alarm. So I put the piggy back connector in there, original 3A fuse back in the pass-through, new 3A for cam.

While doing this I noticed that the power went off and on, I heard the CD player seeking at one point as it does when powered up. I wondered if the tip of my plug had touched the "PARC" contact, at which point it may have had some form of connection via the dash cam to F14, although F14 was dead at this point. All electrics now dead, nothing works. Panic, now very cross with myself. Disconnected the battery (as I should have done at the start but didn't) and walked away for a calm-down.

After returning, I saw that I'd actually pulled out the shunt from its "Client" position so pushed it back in. All comes back to life, big phew, lesson thoroughly learned.

However, now everything works but the engine will not start. It will turn, but will not start up. It's a diesel if that's relevant.

I've tried, after restoring the shunt, leaving the battery disconnected for 10 mins but still the same. Have I triggered the immobiliser, or is something fused or broken? I've tried putting the keyless key into its optional slot, this didn't help. I wonder whether disconnecting the alarm may have triggered something?

All help gratefully received. I promise I'm not normally this stupid, it's been a bad day!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS5 Engine won't start after idiot (me) mucking with electrics

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Because you disconnected the battery and possibly because of the shunt removal and reinsertion, you need to reinitialise the fobs.

Follow the relevant part from the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

There is a section there for keyless too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks for the info. I'd found that abotu 20 minutes ago and have just worked through it. Still the same.

However, I don't seem to have access to the negative terminal so removed the positive terminal instead.

Also I had to plip the unlock button on the remote at the stage I put the key in, as the alarm went off when I stuck my head through the window.

I'll try it again and will report back.

I'm so annoyed at myself over this, this is what results from rushing like an idiot. I was stupidly thinking of it being more of a light bulb changing operation, not the sort of thing that justifies disconnecting the battery. Wrong, very obviously and should have been to me if my brain hadn't been all over the place on other things.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

You sir are a saint. Thank you very much for rescuing me from my incompetence.

I don't know whether it needed the procedure twice, or if I was too fast the first time but, after doing it again and actually timing those 5 minute gaps, all is well.

BIG phew.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries. :)

The electronic systems need time to shut down, save their data to memory before sleeping. They then need waking up correctly or initialising. Pulling the power can affect them, so doing a proper shut down and wake up routine ensures the multitude of ECUs are initialised correctly.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc