DS5 Removing Keyless Door Handles?

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

DS5 Removing Keyless Door Handles?

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

Just bought a DS5 with the keyless entry system. I understand from ebay that the C4 Picasso has the same handles, possibly others too.

As seems to be fairly common, the driver's door one doesn't lock or unlock by touch as it should. Two others work fine, one back one only unlocks.

It looks like all handles are the same regardless of location, so my plan was to remove them and swap them about, to see whether the problem moves or not. Then I know whether I have a faulty handle or dodgy wiring. But I've failed at the point of removing one. I followed this guide...

All went smoothly, but the handle remains trapped inside the hole at the front end. I just can't see how it could come out of the hole in the door. Also there's a cable, and I can't see its plug and whether it's accessible just through the hole in the door.

My hope is that I can swap the electronics from a new or used handle into my body-coloured one. I can see a screw head on the back of the handle. But I don't know whether this is possible as I haven't yet removed one.

Should it be possible to remove and replace the handle from the outside as simply as this, or is this a bigger job involving more stripping down?
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Re: DS5 Removing Keyless Door Handles?

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

Well, I found another video that shows you need to pull the handle right back to get it out. It's an extremely tight fit, I lost a small flake of paint from the edge of the hole. But the cable connector remains invisible somewhere inside the door.

I'm assuming that the inner door card needs to come off to unplug or plug in a new one. Given that it's a lot of work, I'm not going to experiment by swapping them around. Instead, I've ordered a used replacement from a Chinese scrapyard and will try this out when it arrives, which is estimated to be August. This was the only option I could find for the paint colour I have, and it was £32 inc delivery so well worth a gamble. I understand that Citroen would supply a primed one, so there would be lots of cost beyond whatever they charge, plus it might just look rubbish after painting anyway, it definitely would if I painted it.

So I'll have to endure the hardship of pressing the remote button for a couple of months at least. I'll survive!