C5 X7 the curious case of the wobbly boot strut ball joint bolt!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

C5 X7 the curious case of the wobbly boot strut ball joint bolt!

Post by MattBLancs »

Thought I would share this incase anyone else had the same odd symptoms!

C5 X7, exclusive, fancy electronic boot (though part on question of same design for normal boot struts.

Right hand strut, bodywork end. Ball joint had a hex and integral washer where meets the bodywork. Mine was noticeably loose! "Ok, no great challenge, I will put a spanner on the hex and tighten it up" = wrong!

Just spins!

Research on part diagrams = no part listed for the other end (but does confirm is an M8 thread on the ball joint)

There is no part number as it's an integral captive nut. Though mine clearly not really that captive any more!

No access to this at all. Tried a screwdriver wedged under integral washer (to pull nut hard against the inside of the bodywork - hoping the increased friction was sufficient to let me start to tighten the bolt) no joy at all, nut just spins.

So I removed the rear pillar trim and saw that definitely is NO access to get at the nut!

So drilled a big hole (about 15mm) then opened it up to a rectangular opening (guess about 20mm by 15mm) at this point I could reach through with a ring spanner to the formerly captive nut.

M8 would suggest 13mm hex. Nope!
I think 16mm was the winning spanner!

Became obvious why previous attempts to wedge it were insufficient. Nut was close to siezed on the bolt thread. Just about got it free without shearing it off and nipped it up.

Reinstall trim and Bob is your uncle!

Matt
Last edited by MattBLancs on 24 May 2022, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Re: CUT XU the curious case of the wobbly boot strut ball joint bolt!

Post by MattBLancs »

Screenshot_20220524-214330.png
Picture is when first laid eyes on it (or rather shone phone camera torch on it!) and before I began enlarging the hole to fit a ring spanner.

Matt