Spare key for DS5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomjyoutwit
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C2 gone, DS3 gone now on a DS5

Spare key for DS5

Post by tomjyoutwit »

Evening all,

I’ve got access to diagbox and can easily get the paperwork from Citroen, my question is can I wipe an old second hand key or do I need to buy a 100% OEM blank to make a spare? I understand either way I need to sort a blade out but keyless wise I’m hoping it’s fairly straightforward (cheap!)

Thanks in advance!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Spare key for DS5

Post by Paul-R »

Unfortunately the chip in the key is single use only and can't be used for another vehicle.

A new virgin key is needed but you don't have to buy an OEM from a dealer. Providing you order the right type they are readily available from Chinese sources (Aliexpress, Ebay, etc). A few years ago I bought a new, virgin key for my C5 X7 and then asked a locksmith to copy the blade off my OEM key. I was then able to pair the key to the car using Diagbox.

More recently, I thought I had lost the spare key fro the 308 and ordered a replacement key through Aliexpress. This time I used their blade cutting service where you take photos of the existing blade and it only cost about £4 - £5 extra. I have yet to pair the new key to the 308 as the original spare turned up again but I do intend to try so that we have three working keys for the car. The blade cutting was accurate as I was able turn the ignition with it. I don't yet know if I ordered the correct type of modulation (FSK or AFK) but even if it's wrong then it's only $21.36 wasted and buying a second, correct type still leaves me quids in against an OEM one.

The disadvantage with ordering from China is the length of time for delivery although the latest one only took two and half weeks.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

tomjyoutwit wrote: 23 May 2022, 20:13
my question is can I wipe an old second hand key or do I need to buy a 100% OEM blank to make a spare?
Most PSA flip type & proximity keys can be wiped & used again however you cant do this with diagbox just by writing over them. You need a separate tool for reflashing & virginising them such as VVDI mini.
I’ve had good success with china keys too.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The ID46 chip can be wiped and reprogrammed? Any links for that?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
tomjyoutwit
(Donor 2020)

Post by tomjyoutwit »

I’d be interested in that too- I’ve bought a virgin key but also have a used one from eBay.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

To be clear, the standalone carbon ID46 chips found in non remote keys cant be unlocked, not that im aware of anyway. Its the ID46’s that are built into the remote board that can be unlocked & reused.
There are a few tools on the market that can do this, I use KD-X2 it can unlock remotes from many manufacturers including proximity type.
https://www.cardiagtool.co.uk/keydiy-kd ... 7BEALw_wcB
There are many others like VVDI mini. As far as i know they will only unlock originals, not Chinese remotes.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

tomjyoutwit wrote: 24 May 2022, 09:58 I’d be interested in that too- I’ve bought a virgin key but also have a used one from eBay.
If you post a pic of the remote and the front & back of the board inside i’ll look & see if its on the list.
tomjyoutwit
(Donor 2020)

Post by tomjyoutwit »

I can’t figure out how to disassemble the damn thing!