Which to use? Xsara Picasso or C3 Picasso?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

SwissTony
My Cars: Past - Renault 19 16V, Renault 5 GT Turbo, Citroen 2CV, Citroen GSA.

Which to use? Xsara Picasso or C3 Picasso?

Post by SwissTony »

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Biscarosse, south of Bordeaux on the Atlantic Coast of France at the end of May. We will be 2 adults and two kid, both 12 years old.

I have got a C3 Picasso, 1.4 petrol, 2011 with 62k miles on it, and a 2003 Xsara Picasso HDi with 127k on it. Both are in regular use, serviced properly, and have newish tyres on.

I can't work out which to take. It's a matter of internal space more than anything. The Xsara "feels" bigger, but I'm not sure it is. It's also had new suspension all round - front springs, struts ,top mounts, rear shocks and bump stops, plus a new clutch. Still some rattles and it's not anywhere near as quiet as the C3 Pic at autoroute speeds. It also needs an aircon regas and the driver's door issues of a badly behaving window and a new door check strap.

The C3? Seats aren't as comfy, and it won't be as economical. It needs a gearbox oil change and the sump removing and resealing as it leaks. These obviously need doing before we go. It does have integrated Bluetooth and decent speakers. The Xsara has Bluetooth but needs new rear speakers..

Which should I take?! Aaargh!!

Swiss
2011 C3 Picasso in black - The love wagon.
2016 BMW F800R - the throbber between my legs.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Which to use? Xsara Picasso or C3 Picasso?

Post by mickthemaverick »

It's a no brainer for me Tony. I'd take the Xsara everytime, easier to fix the window and regas the aircon than the gearbox oil leak and more economical too! With 2 twelve year olds you won't need rear speakers and you probably won't notice the rattles with the ongoing curiosity from the back!! Good luck! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
SwissTony

Post by SwissTony »

The French have decided it for me - we will have to take the C3. The Xsara is too old to go into Paris due to the clean air laws.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

SwissTony wrote: 10 May 2022, 12:03 The French have decided it for me - we will have to take the C3. The Xsara is too old to go into Paris due to the clean air laws.
That's a pity, time to sort the oil leak then!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
SwissTony

Post by SwissTony »

mickthemaverick wrote: 10 May 2022, 12:05
SwissTony wrote: 10 May 2022, 12:03 The French have decided it for me - we will have to take the C3. The Xsara is too old to go into Paris due to the clean air laws.
That's a pity, time to sort the oil leak then!! :-D
Fortunately I have a friend with a workshop and a lift, so it won't be too much hassle. It's due an oil change anyway and the sump hasn't got anything in the way of removal. Just needs sealing again.

Needs the gearbox oil changing as I replaced the left suspension arm and ball joint for the MOT, lost a bit of oil and had to refill with the GL5, when it really should have GL4..