Occasional shakey juddering when pull away in 1st on C1 mk2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IAFYM
My Cars: Citroen C1 II

Occasional shakey juddering when pull away in 1st on C1 mk2

Post by IAFYM »

Hi,

I'm not sure what the correct terms to use are but I've not had the car long and not really driven it much but I've noticed when pulling away in first the car sometimes feels a bit shakey or as if it's slightly juddering. It doesn't happen all the time, so I don't know if it's something I'm doing?

The car was bought approved used from citroen and I have an extended warranty on it, but it's clear they didn't check 'everything' as I've had to pay to get the AC regassed on it. When I took it in, they came back and told me the "bite was high" but I've got no idea what that means and they told me it would cost £680 just to look, even though I've just bought it from them (and driven less than 500 miles in the car). I argued a little bit with them and someone came over and said a high bite doesn't mean anything and C1s do have high bites and to leave it because the clutch wasn't slipping.

Now, I never noticed this shakey pulling away until after being told all this - which is why I'm asking if it could be something I'm doing because I'm now 'looking for it'? Like, not enough power as I'm pulling away?

Could it be a more serious issue? But like I say, it doesn't happen all the time and seems fine unless I've driven a few miles, then occasionally I feel it as I'm pulling away. I really don't know about cars. I'm just annoyed that they're telling me I have to pay just to look at it and in order to keep the warranty it needs to be citroen and not another, cheaper garage.

Any advice would be great, thanks. This forum has been really helpful for me previous too.

EDIT: All other gears are fine, I don't have issue chaging gear and I'm not getting this in reverse (I don't think so anyway).

They also said it wasn't possible to lower the bite point either and that the only way to lower it is with a new clutch? I've read that it is possible to lower the bite, is that true?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Occasional shakey juddering when pull away in 1st on C1 mk2

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It may well be that the clutch is on the way out. How many miles has it done?

As for the warranty - they will charge for investigating, and as the clutch is a bit involved that's where the labour is going to be in investigating it. Clutch lifetime is very much down to the way the car has been driven - accelerating harshly and using engine braking will wear the clutch considerably more quickly. I believe the flywheels on these are solid, so no Dual Mass Flywheel to worry about.

How long have you had the car? If it's less than 30 days:
In 2015, the Consumer Rights Act came into force. It says that when the car was sold it should be of a satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage), fit for purpose and as described. It gives you the right to reject the car if you find a problem with it in the first 30 days of ownership
The issue you will have with regards to warranty is that certain items are classified as 'wear and tear' or 'service items'. The Clutch friction material is wear and tear, so probably won't be covered under an extended warranty - but if it is something else unrelated to the friction material then it may be covered if it's a mechanical issue. Here lies the problem, to investigate this it will cost diagnostic time. So if you have had the car longer than 30 days and you suspect it is the clutch, then it may be cheaper to just get the clutch replaced.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
IAFYM
My Cars: Citroen C1 II

Post by IAFYM »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've had the car for three months now. I might just get the clutch replaced. A little bit annoying though as surely they should've checked all this stuff first. The car itself has done 70,000 miles but I've only done less than 500 in it.

What about adjusting the height of the bite? It is high in the pedal but I just thought that was how it was.

I saw this video for an Aygo, c1 and 107 but I'm not sure if it's the same for the MK2 C1?

Would it be worth doing that? There isn't a lot of free play before the clutch engages when I push on the pedal. It looks really easy to adjust, if I can do that on my car?
TZDunnit
My Cars: 1990 BX TZD Turbo
1974 D Super 5
2015 Peugeot Boxer Van

Post by TZDunnit »

Could be an engine mount or rubber Bush, but I expect at 70k it could be time for a new clutch with life expectancy of 60-100k.
You could try adjusting it but doubt it will stop the juddering.
90 Bx TZD Turbo ven red 294k
74 D Super 5 Black.??? K
65 Boxer van workhorse 438k
Volvo v50 d
Nissan Juke
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These are basically all Toyotas. The Aygo is the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 so pretty much the same vehicle with cosmetic changes. As far as the clutch goes, I can't really say - most vehicles have some sort of self adjustment - so may already my at or near the limits. For peace of mind, if it were me I would have the clutch replaced at that mileage and know it has been done.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc