Today's County in the spotlight

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Today's County in the spotlight

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The A68 at Carter Bar is in my view the most Scenic Border Crossing, but there are occasions the feeling of all of Scotland laid out before you as you cross the high point of the road on occasions will be shrouded in mist!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 May 2022, 16:36 The A68 at Carter Bar is in my view the most Scenic Border Crossing,

REgards Neil
I have to agree there, plus branching off the A1 and taking the A68 up through Kielder is one of those terrific drives with countless blind summits and a tremendous sense of surprise as you top each one to discover there's another one in front!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

A few little catering options
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Oct 2015, 19:23 Well trip over the border today, so when in Rome.....

Yes.. I was tempted with a bowl of sausage stovies, with crusty bread, and a scattering of colourful, side salad and a pink dressing :!: Not a transport related location this time, but Unit 1 on the Edinburgh Road Industrial Estate by the side of the A68 in Jedburgh. The Coaches pull in at the Mill Shops at the left hand side of the road heading north, but this little surprising gem is on the right.
Border Meringues-an expanding little business starting fron the kitchen table and farmers markets, and now with an industrial unit & Cafe in Jedburgh, and another outllet in Kelso.

Regards Neil
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 16:37 Proper food. St Boswells Rugby Club car park.

Kelso has a shop which sells stovies which I have never arrived at in time to get any other reply than "none left".

Regards Neil
and the aforementioned stovies shop in Kelso where I have now been successful on two occasions!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As you drive up the Country way to Edinburgh on the A68 as well as entering Roxburghshire across the most scenic border point, further on up the road the A68 goes through, or more accurately to the side of the village of St Boswells.
between the cricket pitch and the village green, up past the Buccleugh Arms Hotel.

I like things being in their season and I always like to see cricket being played in Spring and summer. When we passed it on Saturday Teatime they were playing on in spite of the rain coming down!
Roxburgh's most scenic Cricket Pitch
Roxburgh's most scenic Cricket Pitch
THe main village is off to the right where there is a very nice place to stop off at the Main Street Trading Company....bookshop, deli, and cafe
geograph-3821764-by-Walter-Baxter.jpg
with a Citroen HY Van to boot.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This is the Duke of Roxburgh's pile at Kelso, Floors Castle. Never been in it. Would go for coffee and cake there on the terrace if you didn't have to pay to get in the place for the privilege. So this is as close as we get, outside the gates!
DSC05558.JPG
This little vid has some nice images of the place, nice and visual not too informative about its vital statistics which can be tedious...its the largest inhabited castle in Scotland....wow hold the front page.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just discovered a set of old cine films which have been restored and enhanced from an archive of Geo Henderson an Agricultural supplier from Kelso. Plenty interest in in for me.
What I was looking for was an example of a car with an old Roxburgh Registration.
The registration letter area code for Roxburghshire from 1903 to 1974 was KS

So start of a new entry for this and future counties in the spotlight....find a vehicle with the Old Registration letters for the county.

If anyone can find a nice example of a KS please add it in.

For me I offer this one from one of the TS Henderson Archive films, and there is a little tale of in in this film at the point I have started it at. The Reg number is 010 KS on the plate on the tractor.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

errrrm does this count, somehow I doubt it's from Roxburghshire? :-D
BFTW
BFTW
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Or perhaps this original photograph of a 1928 Sunbeam Tourer is more like it? :-D
Own work from my reference book
Own work from my reference book
Interestingly I checked the number with the DVLA and it now seems to be on a silver Audi A5!! A coincidence with my previous post!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 May 2022, 11:47 errrrm does this count, somehow I doubt it's from Roxburghshire? :-D

The Registration area identification letter code KS followed by numbers was issued between December 1903 when I presume KS1 was issued, up until March 1947.

After that they started putting a sequential pre-fix letter starting AKS 1 in April 1947 up to AKS 999 issued in March 1949 after which the letter moved onto BKS1 in April 1949. That took them to SKS by May 64, and in June 1964 they started with the new Letter (B) year identifier and back to AKSnnnB.

so originally that plate would be on a Roxburgh vehicle, if indeed it is a valid plate. Edit which it isn't according to DVLA website

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 May 2022, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have a little information on the first registration in the series - KS 1.

I will reproduce the text here from my book for you to interpret as you choose! :-D

"KS1 Iain Ferguson Blair Stedman, 14 Polwarth Terrace, Edinburgh, Company Director.
'Originally owned by my great-grandfather who was a doctor in Jedburgh. Came to Edinburgh in 1947 on being inherited by present owner's father.'"
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 May 2022, 12:18 I have a little information on the first registration in the series - KS 1.

I will reproduce the text here from my book for you to interpret as you choose! :-D

"KS1 Iain Ferguson Blair Stedman, 14 Polwarth Terrace, Edinburgh, Company Director.
'Originally owned by my great-grandfather who was a doctor in Jedburgh. Came to Edinburgh in 1947 on being inherited by present owner's father.'"
I was just looking up KS1 now its an Orange McClaren!
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I have put a further development on the Roxburghshire Registrations over on the Trivia Investigation Thread here
In other Roxburgh matters, The borderers in all the towns have their own similar Common Riding traditions to Selkirk. One of the other passions is Rugby Union, and there was no one more passionate or had a greater love for the game than Bill McLaren the well loved and respected "voice of rugby" for many years, and a Hawick man through and through.
DSC01582.JPG
DSC01583.JPG
In 1994 when Rugby Special covered such things as the "Sevens" tournaments from the Borders, the 100th Hawick Sevens was broadcast with Bill at the mic for what must have been his perfect job. Its on you tube and an excellent viewing for the rugby fan with many of the international "names to be" playing, Doddie Weir, Gary Armstrong, Andy Nichol, Gregor Townsend, Kenny Logan, Tony Stanger and others. One of the comments on the video was....

"Bill McLaren must have loved this, a full days Rugby, great players and home in time for supper with his wife ....
"Any day away from Hawick is a day wasted".....was his phrase. "

As you travel through Roxburghshire you will see plenty of rugby posts on rugby fields.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

____________Roxburghshire done!_____39 done 53 to go________

There are 92 historic counties in England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, each is having a mere day-ish in the spotlight selected at random.

Our 39 numbers selected so far have been
2,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,18,22,24,28,31,34,44,48,51,52,54,59,61,65,66,68,69,70,72,73,75,78,79,81,84,86,89

Here's the random tool https://www.random.org/
Own work
Own work
Random Number is 82
County is Surrey

Time for Southerners to post up some tales!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The county flag for Surrey is a little chequered in its history: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
Information here

and the location map:
BFTW
BFTW
and the places of possible stories:
BFTW
BFTW
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nearest I have been is Epsom salts in the bath.