Today's County in the spotlight

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Today's County in the spotlight

Post by Paul-R »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 09:06... the seller was selling up because as he said "My teenage daughter has got herself up the duff." ...
That reminds me of when I was visiting universities in 1970 to decide which one I wanted apply to. I went to UCNW Bangor and the Students' Union piled us into a coach to look around the area.

As we approached the Menai suspension bridge (no Britannia bridge then!) the SU rep pointed out the sign "MÔN MAM CYMRU" which he translated as "Anglesey, Mother of Wales" and then said that Anglesey had the highest illegitimacy rate in Wales.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 18:51 What was it that Lewis Carroll wrote "The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things"
but not anymore of Anglesey. Its time has run out. As ever appreciation to the content contributions.

____________Anglesey Done!_____35 done 57 to go________

There are 92 historic counties in England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, each is having a mere day-ish in the spotlight selected at random.

Our 35 numbers selected so far have been
2,3,5,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,18,22,24,28,34,44,48,51,52,54,59,61,65,66,68,69,70,72,78,79,81,84,86,89

Here's the random tool https://www.random.org/

Random Number is 31
County is Dunbartonshire

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Dunbartonshire: Today's County in the spotlight

From Kirkintilloch in Dunbartonshire, to Buenos Aires Railway Station the Lion Foundry's products are found across the world. https://www.edlc.co.uk/sites/default/fi ... ldwide.pdf

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 28 Apr 2022, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

And that looks like a Peugeot 504 blurring past!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 22:15 And that looks like a Peugeot 504 blurring past!
Interesting!! My first thought was a Renault 9 similar to this: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
However back to the new county, there does not appear to be a firm decision on the Dumbartonshire flag with these as the prime runners:
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
Further details here

As for the location within Scotland:
BFTW
BFTW
And an amagamated map of East and West for some locations:
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have driven through Dumbartonshire on a few occasions and passed through on a train on one vehicle collection. My first time was on a trip with my daughter when researching universities for her. She had picked out Lancaster, Stirling and Exeter as her favoured options so she arranged visits to each over a 10 day period. Day 2 was Lancaster, day 5 was Stirling and day 9 was Exeter. So on day 1 I drove her up to Lancaster where we stayed the first night. On to the Uni tour and then up to Windermere where we stayed in Bowness on night 2.

We had 2 days to kill before Stirling so we elected to do some sightseeing and headed for Oban. Night three was spent at a delightful B&B in Alexandria at the southern end of Loch Lomond in Dumbartonshire.
BFTW
BFTW
Day 4 saw us on the move up to Oban
BFTW
BFTW
and then after lunch we headed across towards Stirling. We found a roadside hotel that night about 25 miles short of Stirling and had a jolly night in the bar with some locals.

Day 5 was on to Stirling for the exceedingly long talk and tour which had us there until 2pm
That put pay to our initial plan to call in to see my sister's training college at Alnwick castle on our way south, so instead we headed straight down to the Yorkshire Dales where we stayed in a very classical hotel on the road west out of Hawes. A converted mansion we have never forgotten the huge open staircase which led up to a gallery around the top of the main reception and bar area. A tremendous feeling of power over all you surveyed as you took the first step down from the gallery!

Day 6 was a pleasant drive down through the peak district to Bath where we stayed for two nights while I took her round Bath Uni in my failed attempt to pursuade her to add it to her list. Day 8 and we headed down to Exeter stopping overnight in the student accomodation before the tour. It was love at first sight for her and I knew straight away that the only benefit from our tour of Scotland would be our memories and the few photos which she had taken.

So it came to pass that in September I drove her down to Exeter to begin her Uni education and she has never lived in Watford since that day!! But that's another story for another day. :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks for sharing that tale Mick....pleased the visit to Dunbartonshire on our humble forum teased it out :-D

Spotted this sign with proper hands for the direction. Bit of a reproduction, in the village of Huntershill in the east bit of Dunbartonshire. Yes an original wouldn't have the effigy of the Thomas Muir Coffee House on top!

Reading round that "Thomas Muir" has quite a story to his name. Don't think Hollywood has caught on to it yet, or approached Mel Gibson to take the role of Thomas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mu ... untershill

Huntershill-village-finger-post-old-glasgow-stirling-road
Dumgoyne, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I thought Michael did one of his programmes kicking off at Helensburgh and he did. Now that Dunbartonshire is in the spotlight maybe a rewatch for today. He usually picks out something of interest on his travels. Available on the BBC Iplayer today

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1920 ... bnbsxv.jpg

He explores the Highland Boundary Fault line between Highland and Lowland regions passing near Helensburgh as well as the grid layout of the "250 year old" New town of Helensburgh. Up the West Highland Line but stepping out at Garelochhead/Faslane in our historic Dunbartonshire but now within Argyll and Bute.
Hellensburgh old newtown
Hellensburgh old newtown
Regards Neil

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

It would appear that I have been guilty of some innocent mispelling of Dunbartonshire. The flag site referenced earlier clearly used an 'M' for the county, which I believe is where I picked it from. It seems odd to me that the town is spelt with an 'M' while the county uses the 'N' as is clear from various entries around the web. So here is the skyline view of Dumbarton to be found in Dunbartonshire!! :-D
BFTW
BFTW
Edit: In fact reading the flag site again they do in fact spell it both ways during the page!!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Interesting tale about a chap who worked in Bowling shipyard, West Dunbartonshire, and tried to trace his mates:
BFTW
BFTW
Full Story is here
NewcastleFalcon

I havent looked up your shipyard story yet Mick, but straightaway it reminded me of another interesting tale Denny of Dumbarton which I came across and posted up on the Forum. I think when I click your link a fair chance that Denny's will get a mention....edit....not this time so an unrelated shipyard tale...
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 14:50 Granted limited interest, no sound, 25 minutes long, but I found plenty of interest in this film....by Quentin Wilson....er there must be 2 or this was filmed in 1963 by a very proficient 6 year old. It does tell a story. The Denny Shipyard of Dumbarton who built the original Cutty Sark, took on hovercraft in the early 1960's which may have contributed to its subsequent liquidation.
Film link here

"An amateur record of hovercraft production at Denny Hovercraft Ltd. at William Denny & Bros. Leven shipyard, Dumbarton. Focussing mainly on the Denny D2 hoverbus, it details the maiden voyage sailing from Dumbarton to Oban, to Inverness, and down the east coast to the River Thames, London where it is seen operating sightseeing tours. The last section of the film concerns the liquidation of William Denny & Bros. Ltd.
On its journey south it called at Inverness/Frazerburgh/Aberdeen/Berwick Upon Tweed/Whitby/Hull/ Great Yarmouth/ Harwich/London

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Time for an elephant logo
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 09:51 ...
When I put Whitby Hovercraft into the net this image was first up. Interesting in its own right but made by Denny in Dumbarton who themselves have an interesting logo, derived from Dumbarton's coat of arms.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I wonder what Jim's little travel alarm clock has to do with Dumbarton and Dunbartonshire :?:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 18:01
CitroJim wrote: I stayed in the Cock Hotel on my very first visit to these parts when I was just 15 and attending my first interview for the job I still do to this day... I forgot an alarm clock and had to buy a wind-up Westclox from the jewellers across the road...

That was my first solo trip on the train from Yeovil Junction to Wolverton via the Northern Line! It was a heck of an adventure :D
Genuine magic of randomness there, love it! Here's a Westclox travel alarm, which is what I imagine you would have bought!

I hope it had luminous hands!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 12:50 I wonder what Jim's little travel alarm clock has to do with Dumbarton and Dunbartonshire :?:

Regards Neil
Methinks it's something to do with this: :-D

https://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index ... xDumbarton
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 12:58
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 12:50 I wonder what Jim's little travel alarm clock has to do with Dumbarton and Dunbartonshire :?:

Regards Neil
Methinks it's something to do with this: :-D

https://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index ... xDumbarton
Correct :-D Well done Mick.

Now if anyone viewing this can come up with an original picture of a Westclox, travel alarm/ big or baby ben alarm clock then at least 100 points will be well deserved :-D 99 for taking the trouble to find one, and 1 for the picture :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey