Music cassette to memory stick.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Music cassette to memory stick.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The Zoe doesn't have a cd player but it does have a USB port so I thought I'd stick some music on a USB stick

So I've got a dozen or so old music cassettes and a load of CDs, using the free 'Audacity' programme I've transferred the music from the cassettes to the computer, then I get to s'ave as' and the options are Mp3 or .wav but which to use?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Music cassette to memory stick.

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'd try MP3 first Gibbo, just do 1 track and test it in the car, then if no good try .wav but I'd expect MP3 to work! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

WAV files are what they call 'lossless' Eric and are a faithful reproduction of the original recording BUT, as they are uncompressed files they are much larger file sizes.
MP3 files on the other hand create 'lossy' music and use compression to strip out some of the content, but often unnoticeable to most people. As they are compressed, they take a lot less storage space.

A CD is the preferred original media from which to 'rip' them to your chosen file format. If you have cassettes, then these will not be the best as the sound isn't digital and will have likely deteriorated over the years. So if there is any hissing or the music on cassettes is dulled or muffled, then of course you will replicate all this. Some software programmes can clean them up by applying filters. SO it's a bit of trial and error.

Just one last thing, it also depends on your car music player as to what formats it supports. Just about all will play MP3 files and some will also play WAV files. So it's just down to the quality of the original source music file, the conversion format you choose, storage capacity and of course your personal tastes.

I originally used MP3 for my last vehicle to rip all my CDs and they were fine. However, with my new Aircross the system also plays FLAC lossless which is very much like WAV, and I can hear a huge difference in the sound quality, so have gone back and re-ripped all my CDs into FLAC to maintain perfect digital copies of all my music.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Audacity should be able to rip to more codecs than mp3.
If not then K3B can convert WAV or most codecs to other codecs.
It should also be able to reduce any tape hiss but likely to be a fiddle.

Years since I have used it. It was fine in the past but I seem to have lost the ability to work it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Thanks chaps, I'll try them as Mp3 for now, I'm not too fussy about quality.....yet.
I've got CDs as well as the cassettes but I've got an old UNISEF player (Japanese Walkman) with the necessary sockets so I thought I'd give that a go first.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.