Help - BSI/BSI Failure or something else??

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mclegend
My Cars: Citroen DS3

Help - BSI/BSI Failure or something else??

Post by Mclegend »

As posted earlier my nephew jump started a friends car and since has had multiple warning lights (see below) and no power steering. Only a power steering fault registers on the diagnostics but all the faults below are highlighted.

I am assuming this isn't just a steering fault and that the ECU may be damaged after the jump start. Is there anyway of testing the integrity of the BSI/ECU

Faults
1. Under inflation monitoring fault
2. Power Steering faulty
3. ESP / ASR system faulty
3. The following dash lights are on Steering, tire inflation, service and ESP
4. The power steering also doesn't work.

The battery has been replaced, all fuses are good, alternator charging is good.

Checking for fault codes only the following is displayed.

CITROEN_EN_TEST_00002>DS3>Smart Scan>ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)>Read Fault Code:
Total Number : 2

1/2
State: Permanent fault
Electric Power Steering Operating Fault, Not Characterised

2/2
State: Permanent fault
Fault Absence Of Communication With The Electric Power Steering ECU, No Signal
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Help - BSI/BSI Failure or something else??

Post by wheeler »

Can you confirm if you located & checked any large maxi fuses, these normally require the under bonnet fusebox to be unclipped & lifted out of its box to access them although i cant think of the exact layout on the DS3. The power steering is normally supplied by one of these. If these are ok you will need to do some wiring checks to the power steering pump to see if there is power supplies, earths & CAN connection.
The BSI certainly wouldn't be my first port of call (not to say its definitely not the problem). The ESP, TPMS & steering are all closely related systems so a single fault with one will affect all the others, A single blown maxi fuse for the power steering would likely cause fault messages on all of those systems.
Mclegend

Post by Mclegend »

Thanks, Wheeler

Does anyone know where the maxi fuses are on the DS3, before I start removing the fuse box
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Watch this video, i know its for an older 307 with a VAN/CAN fusebox but almost certainly the same setup, its not hard to get to the maxi fuses, its just they are hidden from normal view so if you dont know about them they are easily overlooked.

Mclegend

Post by Mclegend »

Arghhhh, found the fuses, checked them all and they are all ok. Any suggestions of where to go next. I am happy to start tracing out the power steering circuitry but the fact that there are multiple errors e.g. tyre inflation, ERP, service status and all after the jump start makes me think it could be something common to all.

I would appreciate any suggestions
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I tell you what might work. Clean the blades of the fuses with an abrasive rubber (as, if there is too much tarnish, it can reduce conductivity). I recently had an issue with my C5 and the suspension (the pump stopped working). I did a BSi reset and (during the time the battery was disconnected) I cleaned all of the blades of all of the engine bay fuses, and I also sprayed some proper contact cleaner into each fuse holder. The suspension has not played up since.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Alanbrydon1981
My Cars: Peugeot expert

Post by Alanbrydon1981 »

Hi I have the same issue not all faults just the electric power steering issue. Did you get it fixed at all and if so any information would be greatly appreciated.