Today's County in the spotlight

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Today's County in the spotlight

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 12:44
That would be this, shame you didn't pick out Polly and Gerald and Abby from Howard's Way :-D

Regards Neil
I did consider them but I thought Mr Richardson might be just a tad less well recognised. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Now as far as cheesy tourist videos go....I didnt find it too cheesy at all, I liked the Lossie Folk Club providing the background tunes to the scenes and activities shown, and it has a quirky little friendly presentation. In summary its good. Saves a long drive from your armchair, a lot of petrol or leccy, and does Lossie proud. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Any viewers of the thread are certainly getting a thorough coverage of all of the Counties so far, all excellent VFM.

A few more participators always welcome. Its a piece of "shortbread" even if you currently know nothing about the County. Just look up the wiki page and post up something of interest.

Talking of shortbread Moray's other biggie in the food world other than Baxters is Walkers

Now this gets off to a slow start, only 5 mins, but there's gems of "how they do things" and strangely the integrity comes across.

So next time you see the tartan packaging down the aisle at Sainsbury's remember "Today's County in the Spotlight" and Aberlour, Speyside, Morayshire :-D (or it may have made in Elgin-they also have 2 factories there!)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Last orders for Morayshire, half an hour to go. If you haven't made a contribution yet please do.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 21:28 Last orders for Morayshire, half an hour to go. If you haven't made a contribution yet please do.

Regards Neil
To finish it off, Lady Hill Elgin in a nice light from a B&B window
The Gordon Monument in Elgin

© Copyright Walter Baxter and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

and a brief trip to Cullen, home of Cullen Skink, and also a Rover and A Viaduct

https://flic.kr/p/teyc8j

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A final spooky FCF link before it goes. Earlier today Neil posted in one of the energy threads about a mickle and a muckle, but did he know about this little gem in Morayshire? :-D
BFTW
BFTW
All the info here.
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 22:04 A final spooky FCF link before it goes. Earlier today Neil posted in one of the energy threads about a mickle and a muckle, but did he know about this little gem in Morayshire? :-D

No didn't know about that one. I did look for a pub in Elgin, but I was searching for the worst one. One of the bars got a 2.3 out of 10 on one site.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Morayshire in the spotlight

______________Morayshire Done!_____15 done 77 to go_

and the next one please. There are 92 historic counties in England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, each will have a mere day-ish in the spotlight selected at random.
Here's the tool
https://www.random.org/
Here's the pool
Spoiler: show
temp2.jpg
best to keep the thread flowing! :-D

The Number is 65 and the new County is Orkney

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

To get the ball rolling here is the flag of Orkney which was altered in 2007:
BFTW
BFTW
pre 2007 it looked like this:
BFTW
BFTW
The story can be found here.
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 22:24 To get the ball rolling here is the flag of Orkney which was altered in 2007:
Without looking up the details just yet looks very Scandinavian in style.

Orkney is of course home of Jonathan Porterfield and his Eco-cars, a pioneer mover and shaker on Orkney of the electric car, and I have watched several of his videos. Just put one on the Electric cars Whats Available Threead
viewtopic.php?p=713796#p713796

https://www.eco-cars.net/

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 04 Apr 2022, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A quick initial look into Orkney and I have decided to go and visit. Why I hear you ask, where else can you hire one of these for a tour?
BFTW
BFTW
Maybe an FCF gathering is called for :-D

All you need to know,
NewcastleFalcon

Jonathon mentioned on this Video posted on the electric cars whats available thread, that he was to become part of the ReflexOrkney Project. Curiosity will have me read up about it, a good start would be their Official Website here

https://www.reflexorkney.co.uk/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

How big is Orkney :?:

Lets have a look at Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney#:~ ... e06a01d27f
Orkney is 10 miles (16 km) north of the coast of Caithness and has about 70 islands, of which 20 are inhabited. The largest island, the Mainland, has an area of 523 square kilometres (202 sq mi), making it the sixth-largest Scottish island and the tenth-largest island in the British Isles.
Population. 21,100 (2017)
Total Area 990 km² (380 sq mi)

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bobby's been to Orkney as posted by Simon back in 2017, so things could well have moved on!
Mandrake wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 23:04 Robert from fully charged recently did a 3 piece story on Orkney including their wind and wave generation:

Whether they have a surplus for Renewable Energy or not they are dependant on Electricity on the benevolence of the Companies extracting that energy. Shell do appear to have a role in this...
The ReFLEX Orkney 100% renewable tariff closed to new customers in August 2021. It was a 1 year fixed-rate tariff and the information below aims to help customers who are coming to the end of their fixed rate decide what to do next, at this time of uncertainty in the energy market.
For those that are coming to the end of your ReFLEX Orkney Tariff you will soon receive an email from Shell Energy informing you of the end date of your contract term. This email will also include answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. After the contract term, if you take no further action, Shell Energy will automatically switch you to their Flexible Electricity Only Tariff. The cost for this tariff will be noted in the email they send you. While the prices you will pay on this tariff are higher than you are currently paying, it is most likely lower than the fixed term contracts available on the market. This is because the price of Shell Energy’s Flexible Electricity Only Tariff is capped by Ofgem, the energy regulator, until the 1 of April 2022.

If you stay with Shell Energy you will still get 100% renewable electricity, as all of their electricity tariffs are 100% renewable.
Looks like Orkney are in the same boat as everywhere else. No doubt they could go off grid, but thats not how Electricity generation from wind/tidal/gas/ from the Crown Estates works. Licences/leases are granted and the developers and producers can sell their electricity to whoever they want. If Orcadians get a better deal then the rest of us thats entirely at the behest of the multinational companies who have paid for the privilege of extracting energy fro the sea bed, the tidal flows and the wind.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Orkney in the spotlight

Come on Richard get your holiday snaps out from 2017, Today is Orkney's day in the Spotlight!
RichardW wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 07:35 It's got a nice clock, and is rather an impressive building!

I'd have a liked to go on a roof tour, but 12 years and over only, so we will have to wait till the boys are a bit older, and have a trip back!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey