Today's County in the spotlight

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Today's County in the spotlight

Post by mickthemaverick »

I thought that might be the case which would be why you asked the question! Obviously we have a case of it depends where you look and what the authors are including in their calculations!! I just took the first two sites DDG offered to come up with the figures I quoted :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Inveraray sca3
Julien.scavini, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Semi interesting irrelevant trivia.

The Duke of Argyll, whose residence is Inveraray Castle, is a dab hand at Elephant Polo. The sort of "sport" which would benefit by being consigned to the realms of history. Allegations of cruel treatment of polo elephants, made by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, have led to match cancellation, sponsorship withdrawal and the removal of references to elephant polo records in the Guinness Book of World Records.

The Thailand Elephant Polo Association announced in October 2018 that it will end polo matches in Thailand.
He was the captain of Scotland's national elephant polo team, which won the 2004 and 2005 World Elephant Polo Association World Championships.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Picture Quiz
temp2.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 08:41 Picture Quiz

Regards Neil
Argyllshire's Connel Bridge was built by Arrols Bridge and Roof Company
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Arrols_Bridge_and_Roof_Co

...and I'm afraid the youtuber who made the video pointing out that Arrols also built Tower Bridge was incorrect.

One of the major contractors on the Tower Bridge was Sir William Arrol and Co. ...nothing to do with Arrols Bridge and Roofing. Sir William Arrol and Co were also a major contractor on the Tay Bridge and The Forth Bridge.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/William_Arrol_and_Co

So the other maybe not so famous UK bridge which Arrols Bridge and roof company built was
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I think Argyllshire is done. Back in the early 60's they used to run an "Observation Coach" on the Glasgow to Oban train, and on a "Railrover" holiday based from Glasgow, we visited all parts of Scotland and took that train up to Oban.
If I find the slides at some point I hope there are on or two which I can photograph and put in this post later.

So for now Argyllshire is done.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

______________Argyllshire Done!_____13 done 79 to go_

and the next one please. There are 92 historic counties in England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, each will have a mere day-ish in the spotlight selected at random.
Here's the tool
https://www.random.org/
Here's the pool
Spoiler: show
After you Random number selection requested, but don't take too long, best to keep the thread flowing! :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well here is the result:
Screenshot
Screenshot
Which translates to:
Screenshot
Screenshot

So what do we know about Radnorshire?
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Interestingly there is still ongoing discussion as to the official flag of Radnorshire. Below are the two contenders for the role, and full details of the discussion and debate can be found here.
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent coverage on the flags website and also a link there to the wiki on Radnorshire which I was pleased to find out has Llandrindod Wells in its towns.

Llandrindod Wells translates for me into Riversimple, and an old garage of the "Rootes Group" of cars brands on a corner site.

I will dig and find some images!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Prince Charles driving the RASA hydrogen car being developed down at Riversimple in Llandrindod Wells.
Yes its an odd looking thing but aerodynamics and lightness are huge factors in energy efficiency of vehicles.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

During my rallying days we had a CSMA Annual event called the Curtiss Bennett Rally which was headquartered in the Metropole Hotel, Llandrindodd Wells so I made an annual pilgrimmage for a 4 day weekend incorporating the night rally and the Dunlop Autotest on the Sunday afternoon:

Friday - drive down and book in, Saturday free but car preparation for scrutineering at 8pm. The rally started at 10.00pm and ran throughout the night finishing back at the Metropole by 7am. Then a few hours sleep before the Sunday afternoon auto test followed by the evening presentation dinner and a few beers!! Monday was a morning gathering for team photos etc with whatever you had left of your car and then the drive home. A fabulous weekend in every way, which I believe I attended 10 or 11 years running.

One of the best aspects was the opportunity to thrash the car through the Mid Wales roads and every year bar one included the, fantastic to drive, Elan Valley. This picture shows the route of the section which was competitive in the dark:
Own work
Own work
If memory serves me correctly it was around 23 miles in one go and great fun although pretty hairy to say the least!!

I will see if I can find some photos from those days before Radnorshire is done!! :-D

This blog gives you a fair idea of the beauty and challenge of the Elan Valley:
NewcastleFalcon

Bit of a Trivia aside

Seeing Rhayader on that map that translates into a track....well it was a concept album from the 1970's and all tracks merged into each other...called Rhayader Goes to Town. The album was The Snow Goose by Camel and Andy Latimer Camel's lead guitarist does a guitar break in that section which I know every note of, and would definitely make it into my top 20 guitar solos. The gathered Camel fans in Newcastle City Hall lapped it up on April 8th 1976!

The Album is inspired by "The Snow Goose: A Story of Dunkirk" by Paul Gallico and the Character of Philip Rhayader ( Richard Harris in the film, Jenny Agutter plays Fritha)

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 06:17 Today's garage from me, a trip to Llandrindod Wells and another former Rootes dealership, selling Commer, Hillman, Humber and Sunbeam.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

This is the only picture I have to hand, the rest are up in the loft, maybe tomorrow, which shows my navigator and I on the Sunday morning before the Dunlop Autotest
Own  work
Own work

And this entry for the worst picture on the forum (taken through glass as I cannot open the cabinet without major furniture moving :-D ) is of the shelf in my cabinet containing CB weekend awards, or at least the keepsakes of the actual trophies which had to be returned for the next year!! :-D
Own  work
Own work
NewcastleFalcon

Knighton is a town in Radnorshire, right on the Shropshire border, and a surprising gem for "the Upstairs Showroom" at a Garage, and more than that a Hillman Avenger Tiger and a Hillman Imp Californian in situ in the said upstairs showroom when I clicked the shutter.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 09:06 The upstairs showroom, always a joy! particularly an old school one. This one is at Knighton in Wales.

Regards Neil

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey