2013 DS5 163 2.0 D auto.

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G946OHH
My Cars: Hmmm...Voitures Francais I have have owned... 1990 Citroen BX 1.9 diesel, old faithful, taken to 265,000 miles. 2004 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi, bought new and taken to 168,000 miles. 2006 Citroen C4 1.6 HDi (8v). 1990 Renault Clio 1.2 (absolute shed).
Voitures Francais I still own... 2006 Citroen C2 1.1 Design, 2013 DS5 2 litre HDi auto 168 - barge, love it. 2017 DS3 1.2 130 PureTech, turbonutter buzzbox!

2013 DS5 163 2.0 D auto.

Post by G946OHH »

Well, the old lad is in disgrace. The other day I pressed the start button, dashboard started doing weird stuff, telling me the engine was faulty the gearbox was faulty, then it had a little think and decided the handbrake, sorry, parking brake was also faulty. Definitely wasn't going to start, so it didn't.
Being sensible I walked away, not until I found that it didn't want to lock but it did fancy a good old flash of the hazzards.
I decided the battery was done, you know when you've had a suspicions in the back of your mind for a while? Ordered a better one (More AH, 76 rather than the rather underspecced 70AH that I eventually unearthed (LOL, unearthed) today. Did a reset procedure once the new one was eventually in. What a faff. Battery came from GSF through Ebay. (Great value and quick delivery BTW.)
Car now starts but is still throwing codes and the EML is on, but at least it starts, and the starter spins over a lot faster than it did.
Using my high (!) spec. Chinese reader that's older than the car, I get P2685, P2670, P0658, and P1351 plus one which it's not sure of the number on, which all seem to relate to "actuator voltage". Not sure what actuator. Tried clearing them, no joy, they came back. EML still on, runs and drives fine.
I found a more involved reset procedure that involves the parking brake, so I'll give that a bash once it's stopped lashing hail down, or maybe tomorrow. Maybe it just needs a few successful excursions to convince it that all is now indeed well with the voltage situation.
I won't bore you with the added excitement of going to get an air filter while it was out anyway, (I took our semi-retired C2, it ran fine) but I ended up just ordering from Ebay in the end. (We live 10 miles from any parts places, so if you forget your wallet it's quite annoying.)

Any thoughts people?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2013 DS5 163 2.0 D auto.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The words 'barn' and 'mice' come to mind.... but if that's not the case, if it has been standing for a while, I would take it for a good spin, then clear the faults and see what are remaining. As you can see from the tables below in all these cases driving for 5 minutes getting the car up to temperature can be enough to clear these faults - so give that a go first.

I'm not sure where you got it from or what you referring to regarding a reset of the parking brake - never heard of any such procedure, so I would ignore that if I were you, unless you can point me to it so I can see what it is referring to....

The BSI reset / Battery removal procedure I put together is here:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

Sitting comfortably?
Fault Code: P2685
Description of Fault: Supply of sensors 5 Volts n°3 (Camshaft sensor ; Engine speed sensor ; Common injection rail pressure sensor) : Voltage outside the tolerance. Monitoring of the common supply of the sensors, voltage lower than 4,5 V for 100 ms. At least one of the following conditions must be fulfilled
- Ignition on
- With the engine running
Conditions for Fault to clear: Driving with the engine hot for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of the traction control
  • Performance of ESP settings impossible
  • Request for Delayed Engine Stop
  • Deactivation of the strategy for monitoring the current of the fuel flow regulation valve
  • Deactivation of the request for the fuel high pressure test from the diagnostic tool
  • Fuel flow regulation valve fully opened
  • Deactivation of the kick-down for automatic gearboxes
  • Deactivation of the injector resetting strategy
  • Limitation of performance
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle speed limiter (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle cruise control (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
Symptoms:
  • Problem activating the power unit
  • Engine hesitating, cutting out
  • Lack of power
  • Noise
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
  • Forced driving in electric transmission only
Suspect Areas:
  • Supply of sensors 5V no. 3 : Voltage outside the tolerance
  • Engine speed sensor
  • Electrical harness
  • Fuel high pressure common injection rail pressure sensor
  • Camshaft sensor

Fault Code: P2670
Description of Fault: Supply of sensors 5 Volts n°2 (Air conditioning pressure sensor ; Position sensor EGR exchanger bypass ; Particle filter differential pressure sensor) : Voltage outside the tolerance. Monitoring of the common supply of the sensors, voltage lower than 4,5 V for 100 ms. At least one of the following conditions must be fulfilled
- Ignition on
- Engine running
  • Request for stopping of the aircon
  • Lighting of the coolant temperature warning lamp
  • Deactivation of the request for regeneration of the particle filter from the diagnostic tool
  • Deactivation of the EGR function
  • Limitation of performance
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle speed limiter (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle cruise control (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Noise
Suspect Areas:
  • Supply of sensors 5V no. 2 : Voltage outside the tolerance
  • Air conditioning pressure sensor
  • Electrical harness
  • Position copy switch of the EGR exchanger bypass
  • Particle filter differential pressure sensor

Fault Code: P0658
Description of Fault:Engine running: Supply of sensors 5 Volts n°1 (Foot throttle pedal ; EGR valve position sensor ; Position sensor of the turbocharger ; Manifold entry pressure sensor ; Turbocharging air cooler bypass position sensor) : Voltage outside the tolerance.

The sensors supply voltage is higher than 5,5 V for more than 100 milliseconds
-
  • Accelerator pedal position sensor (Track 1 and 2)
  • - Clutch pedal position sensor
  • - Inlet air pressure sensor
  • - Turbocharger variable geometry position repeat sensor
  • - EGR valve position repeat sensor
  • - Turbocharging air cooler bypass position sensor
  • - Air mixer position copy sensor
  • - Neutral sensor
  • - Vacuum sensor
The voltage supply to the sensors is lower than 4,5 V for more than 100 milliseconds- Accelerator pedal position sensor (Track 1 and 2)
  • - Clutch pedal position sensor
  • - Inlet air pressure sensor
  • - Turbocharger variable geometry position repeat sensor
  • - EGR valve position repeat sensor
  • - Turbocharging air cooler bypass position sensor
  • - Air mixer position copy sensor
  • - Neutral sensor
  • - Vacuum sensor
  • Deactivation of the request for regeneration of the particle filter from the diagnostic tool
  • Deactivation of the initialisation of the EGR valve
  • Request for closing of the EGR valve
  • Deactivation of the diagnosis of the EGR valve
  • Deactivation of the EGR function
  • Cutting of the exhaust heat saver function
  • Natural opening position of the motorised throttle housing (Regulation of the engine speed)
  • Request for emergency closing of the turbocharged air cooler by-pass
  • Deactivation of the tight spot for the cruise control
  • Air mixer fully open
  • Deactivation of the request for the fuel high pressure test from the diagnostic tool
Symptoms:
  • Engine hesitating, cutting out
  • Lack of power
  • Problem activating the power unit
  • Noise
Suspect Areas:
  • Supply of sensors 5 Volts n°1
  • Foot throttle pedal
  • Electrical harness
  • Supercharging pressure sensor
  • Position indicator of the turbocharger
  • Exhaust gas recycling valve position copy
  • Repeat of Turbo Air Cooler bypass position
  • Air mixer position copy
You can usually ignore the P1351 one as that concerns glow plugs or the relay - they are not really needed to start the HDi engine except in really cold temperatures, but the plugs are also used for aided regeneration on occasion. I would focus on the other things first.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
G946OHH
My Cars: Hmmm...Voitures Francais I have have owned... 1990 Citroen BX 1.9 diesel, old faithful, taken to 265,000 miles. 2004 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi, bought new and taken to 168,000 miles. 2006 Citroen C4 1.6 HDi (8v). 1990 Renault Clio 1.2 (absolute shed).
Voitures Francais I still own... 2006 Citroen C2 1.1 Design, 2013 DS5 2 litre HDi auto 168 - barge, love it. 2017 DS3 1.2 130 PureTech, turbonutter buzzbox!

Re: 2013 DS5 163 2.0 D auto.

Post by G946OHH »

Thanks for that Marc - useful stuff. I have just been out (sunshine now!) to put my mind at rest that the alternator was charging properly, voltages measured are all good on that score, and low and behold, no EML - so I'll have another go at clearing the codes tomorrow now that things seem to have settled down. I did take it for a run earlier, so it must have just needed the 5 minute mentioned drive in the docs above! Happy days (hopefully!). Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply - much appreciated! :)