Diagbox question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paddypaws77
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 307SW. 5008

Diagbox question

Post by paddypaws77 »

Hi!
I have just bought a 2014 5008 1.6Hdi. I got an error with DPF. Have changed DPF, reset in Diagbox. However, engine management light still coming on with code U0140 in the engine ECU. BSI ECU has errors with communicating with various ECUs. Could the BSI errors be causing the engine managment light to come on or is it ONLY engine ECU errors that do this?
Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Diagbox question

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This fault is 'Intersystems CAN: No communication with the BSI ECU'.

The CAN data networks have a master computer, typically the BSI and a series of other ECUs all interconnected on one or multiple networks categorised and prioritised according into separate operational areas like safety, comfort etc. The engine ECU and BSI are closely linked. In this case, one of the data networks has lost communication with the BSI. I may have more information if you pop your VIN up so I can relate the error to the specific vehicel.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

Great! Can I just post the VIN here and you then obscure it so others don't see it??
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

VINs are automatically masked by the forum software.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

VIN VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Many thanks!
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

OK! I have looked further today!
If I clear ALL the faults and then run the car I get.

BSI Faults
F023 No communication with the multifunction display ECU or the telematic unit
F03B No communication with lane departure warning system ECU (I don't think the car even has this)
F03D Fault: absence of communication with the hands free kit ECU or the nomad control unit (also don't think the car has this)
F044 No communication with the digital high fidelity amplifier

I did also once get
F5FF Unexpected re-initialisation fault coming from the BSI (cleared and not been back yet)

Engine Management ECU
U0140 Intersystems CAN

Parking Assistance
FBC9 Interior rear right sensor fault

In the global test I get
Engine Relay Unit *ECU not recognised

The engine management comes on!

Any clues how to maybe sort some of these problems and get rid of engine management light?

Will there be an independent garage out there that can maybe "reset" all the ECU's to see if that sorts it or is that just a main dealer job?? I am in NW England!

Many thanks!
Phil
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so as I mentioned before that fault still applies and whilst you have this fault, it will affect other systems too as you are seeing.
Resetting ECUs is not going to help - you have a problem, most likely with an electrical connection or the plugs / sockets of those connections.

If you've had any work done on it recently, then we've seen that a million times here where a wiring connection has been upset not connected back properly after maintenance leaving all these issues.

Looking at the above, the supplies unit on / near / at the side of or under the battery would be my first check - check all the fuses and connections - has any work been done on the battery - or has it been removed or replaced recently?

If there is a connection or power supply issue here it may be affecting the power to some part of the BSI.

Marc
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

Thanks.
I have just bought the car not long ago. No idea what they did with it before. Drove it home a long way no problems. Then got engine light for DPF. Was going to change the DPF but have just cleared in Diagbox. The pressure differentials show the filter to be fine. It had just clocked so much fluid going in that it considered it full.
So I haven't done any major work on it.
Was hoping that while in Diagbox I haven't upset something, hence asking about ECU reset.
I will have a good look around the battery/fuse area, check/clean connections, tighten others and see what happens.
Thanks again for the advice, really appreciated when I am in a corner!
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 17:42 Ok, so as I mentioned before that fault still applies and whilst you have this fault, it will affect other systems too as you are seeing.
Resetting ECUs is not going to help - you have a problem, most likely with an electrical connection or the plugs / sockets of those connections.

If you've had any work done on it recently, then we've seen that a million times here where a wiring connection has been upset not connected back properly after maintenance leaving all these issues.

Looking at the above, the supplies unit on / near / at the side of or under the battery would be my first check - check all the fuses and connections - has any work been done on the battery - or has it been removed or replaced recently?

If there is a connection or power supply issue here it may be affecting the power to some part of the BSI.
I have had a quick look around all the fuses and all the connections around the battery area. All seem fine.
I do question again if, having made changes in Diagbox on the ECUs that may or may not be there (I know, I shouldn't have been doing anything as I didn't really know what I was doing) can the error be being thrown up with the configuration now being wrong and the BSI trying to communicate with things non existent and so throwing up this error?
Basically, I ask again, if I have altered things through Diagbox of the setup, can this be purely a software issue???
Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes it can. There is no undo option and that is why we put the guidance up at the top of the Diagnostics Forum, so people understand the implications of making changes:

Lexia / PP2000 / Diagbox Warning

The BSI is the master computer that has settings and parameters set for each specific marque, vehicle and model. BSIs and other ECUs are used throughout the PSA range and are configured entirely differently depending on the these options I mentioned and the systems fitted to the vehicle. Changing just one incorrect setting can leave the car inoperable. Never change anything without knowing exactly what it does and as per my warning guide, you will see that not everything does what you may think it does. You should always ask if you are not sure and always make a screenshot of every page BEFORE you change anything as it can have an impact on the safety of the car and the correct operation.

Marc
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

OK!
What now would be my options?
Main "stealer" or would somebody independent be able to go through and configure everything properly?
Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Without knowing what you may possibly have changed and in which section or under which ECU, it would be impossible to advise you over a Forum. The BSI has it's own settings and configuration, but it can also change settings directly on some other ECUs from the BSI settings pages.

If you aren't sure what you have done then it may be worth getting the dealer to redownload the BSI configuration according to the VIN of the vehicle, which should configure parameters back to the factory settings. They would then have to check that any optional equipment is correct afterwards to make sure all is working. At least that would rule out a mis-configuration issue.

Marc
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

Is there anywhere I can get a print out of what should be the correct configuration of the ECU's to check?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not really, simply because the BSIs are configured automatically and remotely by PSA servers and manually checked afterwards against equipment options. Think of it as a thousand page questionnaire with multiple choice answers on each item and you'll get my drift. Unless you know the EXACT equipment, engine and associated system ECUs and the correct configuration parameters, it would still be no use.

I would only have the customer option info anyway and not the ECU-level parameters, so that won't be any help.

If you knew exactly what ECU you were accessing and what you changed at the time then that may help, but otherwise given the variations and number of configuration options it would not be practical.

Marc
paddypaws77

Post by paddypaws77 »

Ok!
Then maybe another approach. BSI is giving errors with communicating with "Hands free unit nomad unit". Where do I find settings to change in each and every ECU to check for this? BSI has been set for hands free ECU to be absent but I presume something is set elsewhere that is still looking for it???
👍