Today's County in the spotlight

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Today's County in the spotlight

Post by mickthemaverick »

Henry's hand is on the left of the picture, but nothing to do with Simon or Find it Fix it Flog it!! So you're on the right track!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 18:35 Henry's hand is on the left of the picture, but nothing to do with Simon or Find it Fix it Flog it!! So you're on the right track!! :-D
Maybe Find it Fix it Drive it.

In an episode 1.06 of the above Henry and Sam visited this and bought a tractor and plough

https://www.patrickedwardsmachinery.co.uk/contact/

It was a 10 mile drive back to the "Workshop".

On the way to the tractor place shortly after leaving the workshop, they turned right out of this junction onto the main road. Near Buckland.

I reckon this is as close as I will get.
temp2.png

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The actual program that the freeze is from was an episode of Shed & Buried. The chap in the picture is Sam Lovegrove and the venue is Henry's house known as Cole Central on the show. From the electoral register I have discovered a Henry and Jane Cole who are residents of Bampton but I won't pay the fee on 192.com to get the actual address!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 20:03 The actual program that the freeze is from was an episode of Shed & Buried. The chap in the picture is Sam Lovegrove and the venue is Henry's house known as Cole Central on the show. From the electoral register I have discovered a Henry and Jane Cole who are residents of Bampton but I won't pay the fee on 192.com to get the actual address!! :-D

Close enough, time for a well deserved bit of refreshment at the beautifully alliteratively named

"The Trout at Tadpole Bridge". Have a look see if its suitable Mick :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

By totally random chance we have arrived at....<br /><br />Tadpole Bridge over the Thames
By totally random chance we have arrived at....

Tadpole Bridge over the Thames
with the Trout adjacent

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

"The Uffington White Horse is a prehistoric hill figure, 110 m (360 ft) long, formed from deep trenches filled with crushed white chalk. The figure is situated on the upper slopes of White Horse Hill in the English civil parish of Uffington (in the ceremonial county of Oxfordshire and historic county of Berkshire).
The Uffington Horse is by far the oldest of the white horse figures in Britain and is of an entirely different design from the others inspired by it.
Until the late 19th century, the horse was scoured every seven years as part of a more general local fair held on the hill. Francis Wise wrote in 1736: "The ceremony of scouring the Horse, from time immemorial, has been solemnized by a numerous concourse of people from all the villages roundabout." After the work was done a rural festival was held sponsored by the lord of the manor.

If regular cleaning is halted, the figure quickly becomes obscured; it has always needed frequent work for the figure to remain visible. Periodic scouring continues, organized by the National Trust: on chalking day volunteers with hammers, buckets of chalk, and kneepads kneel and "smash the chalk to a paste, whitening the paths cut in the grass inch by inch."

During the Second World War the figure, easily recognizable from the air, was covered over with turf and hedge trimmings so that Luftwaffe pilots could not use it for navigation during bombing raids. It was uncovered after the war by Welsh archaeology professor William Francis Grimes.
It has long been debated whether the chalk figure was intended to represent a horse or some other animal, such as a dog or a sabre-toothed cat. However, it has been called a horse since the 11th century at least."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffington_White_Horse

The video for Kate Bush's 'Cloudbusting' was filmed around the White Horse, with the Cloudbusting 'machine' being sited on Dragon Hill at the foot of the horse.

Uffington-White-Horse-sat
USGS, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Culham thingy
Culham thingy

"The long-standing dream of using nuclear fusion to create a safe, efficient supply of energy has come closer to reality. Scientists at the Joint European Torus (JET) near Oxford, UK, have used their reactor to generate the largest-ever amount of energy in a sustained fusion reaction.

In an experiment carried out in December 2021, the team used JET to produce a total of 59 megajoules of heat energy over a five-second period. The previous record of 22 megajoules was set by JET in 1997.

“The record, and more importantly the things we’ve learned about fusion under these conditions and how it fully confirms our predictions, show that we are on the right path to a future world of fusion energy,” said Prof Tony Donné, EUROfusion programme manager. “If we can maintain fusion for five seconds, we can do it for five minutes and then five hours as we scale up our operations in future machines.”

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/futur ... ks-record/

UK Atomic Energy Authority
Culham Centre for Fusion Energy

Who we are

CCFE is part of the UK Atomic Energy Authority and is based at Culham Science Centre near Oxford, England – a major international fusion research site since the early 1960s. Today we continue to advance fusion science and engineering as the world comes together to build the first reactor-scale experiment, ITER, in France. Looking a step beyond ITER, we are developing technology and designs for the first fusion power plants.

What we do

We manage the UK fusion programme, whose centrepiece is the new MAST Upgrade experiment. Our research is focused on ‘magnetic confinement’ fusion, in which a hot gas – or ‘plasma’ – is controlled with magnets inside a ring-shaped chamber known as a tokamak. Our programme covers all the key areas of study in magnetic confinement fusion research – from theoretical and experimental physics, to materials science and engineering technology.

CCFE operates the world’s largest tokamak experiment, the Joint European Torus (JET), at Culham for fusion scientists around Europe. CCFE is a member of the EUROfusion consortium, which comprises 30 fusion research organisations and universities from 25 European member states plus Switzerland, the UK and Ukraine. Our scientists play a full part in the co-ordinated European research programme run by EUROfusion, including tests at JET.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

From our Culham Day on the Trivia investigation team, https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19#p700219

A well earned pint for the joiners in and content providers.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 14:51 Have a drink of the local brew, available at the Railway inn Culham. Loose Cannon Brewery not far away in Abingdon

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 26 Mar 2022, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 20:08
Close enough, time for a well deserved bit of refreshment at the beautifully alliteratively named

"The Trout at Tadpole Bridge". Have a look see if its suitable Mick :-D

Regards Neil
I would suggest it is very suitable indeed, might even bump into Henry!!

To give you a taste for it:
BFTW
BFTW
and the offerings:
BFTW
BFTW
Full information here! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

The Todays County in the spotlight micro quiz.
What does Great Tom do at 9.05 :?: :-D
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 09:42 The Todays County in the spotlight micro quiz.
Regards Neil
Presumably it rings for the 9 o'clock hour, Oxford time being famously 5 minutes behind Greenwich? :?:
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 10:04
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 09:42 The Todays County in the spotlight micro quiz.
Presumably it rings for the 9 o'clock hour, Oxford time being famously 5 minutes behind Greenwich? :?:
More impressive or deafening than that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Tower ... %201663%29.

"Great Tom is still sounded 101 times every night, which signifies the 100 original scholars of the college plus one (added in 1663). It is rung at 21:05 current UK time, which corresponds to 21:00 in what used to be "Oxford time" (local mean time for Oxford, noon in Oxford always occurring five minutes later than noon in Greenwich),[9] and was at one time the signal for all the Oxford colleges to lock their gates. The bell is only rung by swinging on very special occasions.

Tom Quad, Christ Church, Oxford (cropped)
Dmitry Djouce, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

One of the world's longest lasting batteries, been ringing the bell since 1840

Oxford Electric Bell
DavidCWG, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Last call for Oxfordshire. Last word to Great Tom.
It's a full 39 seconds, a traditional English Round dating back to at least 1667.

Be rude not to give it a whirl.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 12:04 One of the world's longest lasting batteries, been ringing the bell since 1840

Oxford Electric Bell
DavidCWG, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil