Fiat Ducato with a 2.5 XUD engine (french engine)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tfurness

Fiat Ducato with a 2.5 XUD engine (french engine)

Post by tfurness »

Hi I just added to my fleet of AX's and ZX's with a 1990 Fiat Ducato campervan (yes I am good at welding). I am told the engine is a 2.5 litre xud lump, which confuses me as I thought the xud was only 1.9 and 1.7. Any way the engine is a turbo diesel with out an intercooler. Does anyone have any data on this engine? Also the engine breather system from the block is routed in to the chassis, I cannot believe that this is how it left the factory. But there doesn't appear to be a connection for it on the inlet manifold.
Sorry for polluting the forum with a fiat.
Thanks Tom
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If my memory serves me corectly your Fiat has a Citroen CX 2.5 engine not an XUD but a conventional OHV engine with with a belt driven cam shaft on the turbo version. I had three CXs with this engine and covered 200k + miles with them.
tfurness

Post by tfurness »

Hi Peter, Can you remember where the breather from the block went?
Cheers Tom
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This engine is indeed very similar to the CX diesel engine, although I understand it lacks the CX's balancer shafts... possibly. I have 2 of the van engines and have never had a CX (unfortunately). The breather pipe from the back of the block wiggles up between the coolant pump and the top of the head, and connects to the side of the rocker cover. It's only a short pipe. There is also another breather that goes from the other end of the rocker cover, into the intake. On the turbo engine I guess this will be before the turbo (otherwise the turbo would pressurise the crank case)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The CX engine doesn't have balancer shafts it is a nice simple OHV unit with the cam belt only driving the camshaft and pump (the only OHV engine I have ever heard of with a timing belt) and very easy to change (compared to the XM) It's the 2.5 XM OHC engine, an XUD derivative that has the balancer shafts, very complicated and even more difficult to work on than the 2.1 td, which is why I favour the latter.
'fastandfurious' has pointed you in the direction of the breather, it's about ten years since I had my last CX so the memory is fading as it is generally! I do remember a quite large bore hose going to the rocker cover but can't remember where the other end went. Someone borrowed my CX manual and didn't return it.
They were a brilliant engine in their time, the first really refined diesel, even the non turbo one was quite nippy. I used to fit Perkins engines into all sorts of things until the CX arrived, after that I didn't see the need.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

The biggest XUD is the 2.1 litre XUD11 (XM/Xantia). As far as I know, the older Ducatos should have a SOFIM 2.5 engine, the predecessor of today's 2.8 litre engines in Ducato and Jumper HDi. The CRD93 engine from the CX was only fitted into Citroën C25 and Peugeot J5.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I stand corrected!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That CX diesel isn't a bad lump. You'll never wear it out and last February I drove from Amserdam to Fougeres on a tankful, 47.5 MPG. Well it is only twenty years old.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Does the Ducato have a Fiat engine and not a French one?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I can see this is going to get a little interesting!
The J5 vans (Talbot Express, Citroen C25 and Fiat Ducato) had 1.9XUD and 2.5 U25 (CX2.5D/TD) engines fitted from '82. In the Express and C25, these engines contnued until the van's demise in '94. The Fiat, however, changed to fiat's own 1.9D/TD and 2.5D/TD engines in about '88. The 2.5 engine (and it's close relation, the 2.8) continue in the current range (which I believe are called J9)
The 1.9XUD is horrendously underpowered in these, and the 2.5TD (CX engine) is very very rare indeed. 90% of express/C25 were 2.5D. I know very little about the fiat engines other than the 1.9TD is very fragile, and blows up rather easily.
What I also don't know about is the 2.5TD engine from the XM. What is it? surely it can't be a completely unique engine just for the XM? On paper is looks like a good powerplant, but I'm hearing all sorts of things go wrong with it?
David.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The XM 2.5 td engine has some similarites to the XUD in that it has twelve valves and hydraulic tappets, it is designated DK5, but, it has twin balancer shafts and more significantly, a different oil filter, All the XUDs I have come across use the same one. It takes up more underbonnet space and is much more difficult to work on than the 2.1, and that's about the most difficult engine I have ever worked on! From what I have read of other peoples experience it does seem to be more troublesome than the 2.1 td, which although a pig to work on is very reliable once you have sorted the problems out. I recently sold a 2.1 with 292k miles on the clock and apart from a slipping clutch it was still going well. I have just fitted a head gasket to my present one at 125k and wouldn't expect any trouble for the next 100k or so. Another problem with the 2.5 is its rarity, secondhand spares are hard to find and new ones very expensive. I think I will stick with the 2.1.