306 auto 1.8

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ayden
My Cars:

306 auto 1.8

Post by ayden »

looking to buy a 1997 peugeot 306 1.8 auto with 30k miles on the clock for just over £2k just wanted to know if 1. is this the right sort of price 2. is there any known problems with this model 3. should i go for the 1.9 td model ?? thanks
damienthorn

Post by damienthorn »

Well you won't get an automatic with the diesel engine for starters!
From the knowledge of a 94 1.8 auto the first thing is the engine management software. I'm not sure about later models but the version of software on this one was buggy and should have been upgraded by a Pug dealer but never was - what a surprise. The resultant problems are that it just about scraped through an emissions test and only then after a full engine oil and filter change. Other than that it's been a pretty reliable and comfortable car but economy is not great. Radiator rot is one thing to look out for but that's across the whole model range.
It's a funny shortlist you have there because the auto 1.8 and the 1.9TD are pretty much at each end of the 306 spectrum!
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

I bought a 1998 306 1.8LX Auto (£2450, 37K miles). Had to have the idle control valve and lambda sensor changed (under warranty). It's not very fast round town, but is nice to drive on the motorway. Bit thirsty and engine sounds a bit 'throaty'. Auto box can be a bit jerky - not sure if that's normal or my mine needs attention. It's my first auto so difficult to compare.
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

had a test drive today and i personally thought it was great it had fast acceleration sounded like you said a bit throaty, it had smooth gear change one thing that did bug me was that in reverse sat still there was a knocking but the salesman assured me it was just a heat shield [}:)] thanks for the replys [:)]
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Mine doesn't knock in reverse. Might be worth checking out again.
damienthorn

Post by damienthorn »

That's strange, Duncs. On this 94 1.8 Auto the lambda sensor also had to be changed - in fact one of the wires was severed. Plus the idle speed used to die and a Bosch sensor also had to be replaced for that.
With regard to the reverse knocking this particular car has also developed a 'knocking' of sorts. Basically when selecting reverse you have to allow a little time before applying the accelerator otherwise you get a knock. Almost as if the selection is not made cleanly or quickly enough. Was thinking a gear oil change might sort this but might just be down to abuse from dodgy driving!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

On the ZX you can get a 1.9D auto, but they dont make a 1.9 diesel turbo with an auto box, I think the extra torque would ruin the auto gearbox.. [:0]
Btw, the gear changes on the my ZX are smooth as silk. All you get is a change in the sound from the engine when changing up, but you do get a slow-down effect when approaching a stop due the the car changing down, this is far more prononced in the ZX than in any other auto I have driven, [:)] you dont normaly get any help slowing down from an auto box..